We are going up aren't we?

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Yes!!!!

Welcome onboard the promotion train

Youve been upgraded to first class with free coffee and biscuits for that proud declaration  

When is the last time you got on a train and there was not a problem, it was late, or just never showed up? lol.  I am not saying we wont do it I am just saying it will be a bumpy ride, it always is... 

Guest LondonOwl313

I don’t get why everyone emotionally swings one way then the other depending on results.. we’ve got the strongest squad in the league by some distance in terms of depth and having half a dozen mid table championship standard players still on the books. Would imagine our wage bill is the highest in the league by a mile too.. will be higher than Rotherham, Wycombe, Plymouth, Oxford etc and probably also Sunderland as they’ve been down here 3 years so cut their cloth accordingly.

When you’re in that position, your objective is to win the league. Particularly given if we don’t go up we probably won’t have as good a squad in subsequent seasons going forward. All the loan players will go back, and would imagine Bannan, Windass, Luongo and Iorfa would possibly all leave as they’re not going to want to spend a chunk of their careers playing below the level they’re capable of.

So simply put, it does look like promotion or bust.. or at least another backward step would have to be taken if we don’t manage it. So who fancies leaving all that riding on the play offs, if we even get there.. I don’t, I want automatics.

We’re nearly half way through the season and we’re potentially 9 points off the top and 8 points off 2nd, and outside the play off places (should other teams all win their games in hand, which they won’t as there’s quite a few of them). So, last 27 games we need to make back 9 points to be par for the course. It’s going to be difficult, we’ve dropped a lot of unnecessary points through bad formations and team selections and poor game management.

I can’t see us being consistent enough under Moore to achieve what we’re capable of and it frustrates me. Things have improved the last 5 games or so because we’ve won 3 of them.. but if we don’t win the next 2 everyone will emotionally flip flop back the other way again.

I think under Moore we’ll have the quality in the squad to finish 4th-6th but won’t trouble the top 2. I’m not sure that’s good enough though given all of the above, it’s like Man City settling for the Europa League when they’re a Champions League quality side. Happy that we’re winning games again but can see us sneaking in the play offs and then having a 25% chance of promotion when we should be going for top spot.

So far we have played ok in fits and starts. The last game is the first game where we have been relentless from first to last.

Will we go up? It depends whether we carry on like we did against MK Dons, if we do we will walk it. If not we will be top half, maybe top 6.

I'll wait and see whether we keep up our form from the last game and carry it into the next 2 or 3 before I get too enthusiastic. I've been let down too many times in the past by this club.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Ive just got on the promotion train to the championship 

I managed to get one of those seats with a table, power socket and usb socket next to the window

Im sat on it now waving at you all to come join me and jump on this happy train to promotion 

Hurry up though as it’s getting full and the refreshments trolly is on the way round 

If I got on the train, with my luck, I'd get get a seat facing backwards opposite you eating a cold Fray Bentos pie with all the gravy in your beard. The trolley dolly would be lessor sister of Ann Widdocombe. Couldn't stand watching you two flirting. lol

Hey little train! We are all jumping on
The train that goes to the Kingdom
We’re happy, Ma, we’re having fun
And the train ain’t even left the station

Hey, little train! Wait for me!
I once was blind but now I see
Have you left a seat for me?
Is that such a stretch of the imagination?

Hey little train! Wait for me!

I was held in chains but now I’m free
I’m hanging in there, don’t you see
In this process of elimination

It’s beyond my wildest expectation.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, trumbullowl said:

And the train ain’t even left the station

Hey, little train! Wait for me!
I once was blind but now I see
Have you left a seat for me?
Is that such a stretch of the imagination?

Hey little train! Wait for me!

I was held in chains but now I’m free
I’m hanging in there, don’t you see
In this process of elimination

It’s beyond my wildest expectation.

Absolutely cracking song, but they were on their way to the death camp, so maybe not the best analogy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I don’t get why everyone emotionally swings one way then the other depending on results.. we’ve got the strongest squad in the league by some distance in terms of depth and having half a dozen mid table championship standard players still on the books. Would imagine our wage bill is the highest in the league by a mile too.. will be higher than Rotherham, Wycombe, Plymouth, Oxford etc and probably also Sunderland as they’ve been down here 3 years so cut their cloth accordingly.

When you’re in that position, your objective is to win the league. Particularly given if we don’t go up we probably won’t have as good a squad in subsequent seasons going forward. All the loan players will go back, and would imagine Bannan, Windass, Luongo and Iorfa would possibly all leave as they’re not going to want to spend a chunk of their careers playing below the level they’re capable of.

So simply put, it does look like promotion or bust.. or at least another backward step would have to be taken if we don’t manage it. So who fancies leaving all that riding on the play offs, if we even get there.. I don’t, I want automatics.

We’re nearly half way through the season and we’re potentially 9 points off the top and 8 points off 2nd, and outside the play off places (should other teams all win their games in hand, which they won’t as there’s quite a few of them). So, last 27 games we need to make back 9 points to be par for the course. It’s going to be difficult, we’ve dropped a lot of unnecessary points through bad formations and team selections and poor game management.

I can’t see us being consistent enough under Moore to achieve what we’re capable of and it frustrates me. Things have improved the last 5 games or so because we’ve won 3 of them.. but if we don’t win the next 2 everyone will emotionally flip flop back the other way again.

I think under Moore we’ll have the quality in the squad to finish 4th-6th but won’t trouble the top 2. I’m not sure that’s good enough though given all of the above, it’s like Man City settling for the Europa League when they’re a Champions League quality side. Happy that we’re winning games again but can see us sneaking in the play offs and then having a 25% chance of promotion when we should be going for top spot.

That’s a long winded way to say I’m wet. 

Get on the train. The Wednesdays going up and the blades are going downnnnn. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

That's a very well thought out and level headed reply.

Fortunately you've got it all wrong. We've just started a long winning streak that is about to see us break away from the pack of 2nd class also-rans and stay there till the end of the season.

GET ON BOARD!

On 25/11/2021 at 09:31, @owlstalk said:

Ive just got on the promotion train to the championship 

I managed to get one of those seats with a table, power socket and usb socket next to the window

Im sat on it now waving at you all to come join me and jump on this happy train to promotion 

Hurry up though as it’s getting full and the refreshments trolly is on the way round 

Let’s hope it’s not this train..

220FE555-1265-4C15-8332-4D7A7E309EB3.gif

• Haha 1