Is Dunkley the new Mick Lyons?

5 minutes ago, Pughies Jockstrap said:

Mick Lyons played for one of the top clubs for a number of years won a league title medal. Its jaw dropping that someone can even begin to compare the journeyman Dunkley with him. That said he did look good the other night Dunkley that is not Lyons.

This part is not true.
He played for Everton from 1971 to 1982.
Everton won the league in 1969/70 and then in 1984/85 so just missed out.

6 hours ago, Vanderowlsterdam said:

Dunkley, on current form keeps Iorfa out of the squad, if/when he returns. Dunkley is a leader, and when given that role has been more commanding this season than Iorfa. When he partners him, Iorfa is the main man and Dunkley looks a shadow of the player he is now. It's like you take that responsibility away from him, you stifle him. 

Iorfa has been well off his best this season. If he gets back to his best we will win the league.

On current form there's no reason they can't both be the main man.  Just imagine Dunkley in this form with Iorfa at his best along side him. Neither one needs to play second fiddle, they can both strut their stuff at the same time.

Dunkley is doing well at the moment, but his shortcomings aware still there to see. He’d never be a top class Championship player. The one thing I’d argue right now though is that he is currently our most important player, simply because we don’t have any similar replacement and almost every team has big forwards.  No Dunkley and we don’t hold on at Accrington for instance. Luongo is possibly our 2nd most important player as he’s the only one who seems to knit the midfield together and provide the proper protection to the defenders. With Iorfa back then Dunkley is less important, especially if Iorfa finds form. Glad though that our most important 2 currently have excellent recent injury records and will easily cope with the regularity of matches. 

Lyons was a a couple of Leagues better than Dunkley.

Dunkley always was very good at this level, hes come on no end since the responsibility for leading the back line dropped in his lap and has grasped that chance very well.

But......put him in the division above and he looks very uncomfortable and ill at ease.

Lyons did what he knew he had to do with skill and quality and without question. 

Skill levels may differ but if Dunkley sticks to doing that and develops, then at this level yes, there is a similarity. 

Hopefully he will and then we will have the steady reliability of a central defender that no attacker wants the play against... fingers crossed but he's already shown how brave, knowledgable and strong he can be. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, legendaryswan said:

Lyons was a a couple of Leagues better than Dunkley.

Dunkley always was very good at this level, hes come on no end since the responsibility for leading the back line dropped in his lap and has grasped that chance very well.

But......put him in the division above and he looks very uncomfortable and ill at ease.

When I saw him playing for Wigan in the division above I was very impressed.  Now that he's fully recovered from his horrific  injury and being played in his best position he looks the business again.

• Like 2

On 25/11/2021 at 09:34, Vanderowlsterdam said:

Dunkley, on current form keeps Iorfa out of the squad, if/when he returns. Dunkley is a leader, and when given that role has been more commanding this season than Iorfa. When he partners him, Iorfa is the main man and Dunkley looks a shadow of the player he is now. It's like you take that responsibility away from him, you stifle him. 

You may be right. I think its more to do with the formation. Dunkley and iorfa would work better in a normal 4 at the back. When they part of a 3 with wing backs this does not suit either of them. But it suits dunkley the least. Dunkley has also got better as he has got more minutes under his belt. Which unfortunately coincides with iorfa just getting injured again. Both are great players in this division. I am sure over time they are both good enough to adapt and be equally as effective in any formation 

18 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

When I saw him playing for Wigan in the division above I was very impressed.  Now that he's fully recovered from his horrific  injury and being played in his best position he looks the business again.

Once Wigan dropped Dunkley, they stopped letting in soft goals and their results improved.