Summer recruitment review

Going into summer with a squad of maybe half a dozen professionals, I was expecting the club to probably bring in 12 or so players released from previous clubs because the got old and slow, or who had never recovered from an injury and that 1 or 2 at most would be good enough- the rest might have to play because there was no one else, but relegation was beckoning.

After the recruitment, I was more hopeful, Moore had managed to bring in people other clubs actually wanted and there seemed to be depth.

How many have worked out?

the standout players - those that seem to be a level above Div 1 are probably Bannon, Luongo, Dunkley and Iorfa, I don’t know that any of the newcomers, with the possible exception of Corbenau if he can show it for more than a couple of games fit that category

Shodipo, Sow and Berahino look like failures, and Wing has been a disappointment. Byers has looked mediocre, but out too much, and Gregory and Kamberi fine at this level

or perhaps none of that is reasonable?

Come the end of the season the vast majority of the signings will have contributed in some way.

I think recruiting well in the forward department was key and in all fairness he has. Both Gregory and Kamberi look as though they’ll both hit double figures and both contribute well as far as the team shape goes. People will criticise the Berahino signing but it was a gamble worth taking and it could still pay off?

Adeniran has been a good acquisition and Corbeanu is starting to show his undoubted quality.

Signing Wing was a waste of time given we’ve elected to keep Bannan. The 2 can’t work in tandem together.

Hunt was always a solid signing. I think we’ll probably start to see the best of Byers next season when there may be more opportunities for him to play?

Shodipo has been unlucky. Had he not got injured early doors he may have been established and more influential by now.

Peacock-Farrell has been a bit  hit and miss but Moore needed to sign a new keeper and to get in an established international was a no brainer. He’ll come more to the fore now he’s got an uninterrupted stay at the club until March.

Could Moore have done better in the market, maybe? He certainly could’ve done worse. As always we’ll only know how well he’s actually done come the end of the season.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jim said:

Adeniran has been a good acquisition and Corbeanu is starting to show his undoubted quality.

Signing Wing was a waste of time given we’ve elected to keep Bannan. The 2 can’t work in tandem together.

Hunt was always a solid signing. I think we’ll probably start to see the best of Byers next season when there may be more opportunities for him to play?

Shodipo has been unlucky. Had he not got injured early doors he may have been established and more influential by now.

Peacock-Farrell has been a bit  hit and miss but Moore needed to sign a new keeper and to get in an established international was a no brainer. He’ll come more to the fore now he’s got an uninterrupted stay at the club until March.

Could Moore have done better in the market, maybe? He certainly could’ve done worse. As always we’ll only know how well he’s actually done come the end of the season.

Adeniran looked like the business early in the season but he's gone off the boil recently. Maybe just a temporary loss of form, I like the lad but at present I'd say the jury is still out. He needs to prove he can play well on a consistent basis to nail down a starting place.

• Like 2

Takes time for 3 or 4 signings to settle in never mind 11 or 12 . We were bound to improve as the season moved on and players started to gel. Early expectation was far to high from some on here and the constant battering of DM embarrassing. Time for judgement will be May as we now seem to be heading in the right direction.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tony Pulis said:

A - Hunt, Gregory and Adeniran have proven to be great signings, as has Peacock-Farrell. Corbeanu similarly has flourished.

B- Johnson and Byers look to be useful squad players. Kamberi has chipped in with some vital goals.

C - Shodipo has occasionally looked good off the bench. Brown has been hit and miss but is a young player.

D - Expected more from Wing given his great performances at Boro and Rotherham. Berahino has also not made the impact that 

he would've hoped.

E - Sow has literally played once in the league. Why did we sign this guy and then get Berahino and now NML? Gibson was unfortunate with injuries but was barely breaching the squad before.

agree with most of this . I’d argue all have either been good , solid , useful squad players . None have been shockers but some disappointments such as Berahino / wing / sow. / Shodipo but could argue the above need more Time 

I think he's not done too bad, let's not forget he had virtually no cash to spend, and little time, so it's a bit of a pick n mix scraped from a bargain basket on Christmas eve, so we couldn't expect miracles.

Overall I'm happy with the outcome, except maybe for Berahino, who's the Turkish delight that nobody wants.

When you have zero money to spend then you are always going to have to take a risk on players, I think considering we all thought we would be mid table Moore needs to take a lot of credit for the squad he has built.  There will always be a few duds when you bring in so many fresh faces but there has been more positives than negatives.  

Now with Gregory back and Windass back we should have more of a goal threat, our entire season was summed up against MK dons,   We had 25 shots and we only scored 2 and that was only because of Gregory and Windass.  We now kick on and if those two can stay fit then we can start turning some of those draws into wins.

Windass has always been the key and I really think we would be top 2 if we could have had him or the last 18 games.  I know its only part of one game but come on he has played 1, got 1 assist, got 1 goal, had 1 shot, has a goals per 90 mins of 2.5.  He has already shown he makes the difference.  We cant expect to miss 23 shots every game and win..

Injuries have forced Moore to stop making 5 or 6 changes every game and with a consistent line up the results have improved.

It's not exactly ticket science but at times it has appeared that way.

To wait 10+ games before playing out best attacking threat in Corbeanu, is classic stupidity on the managers part, like persisting with the useless Paterson, it is no coincidence that our best performance of the season, he was not in the match day squad.

• Like 1

Been impressed at times by BPF; Adeniran, Corbeanu, Johnson, Hunt, Gregory and Kamberi. Hopefully we'll see more consistency from them and some of the other signings. Expected more from Wing to be honest but he could still eventually show us what he's capable of. Having Luongo and Windass back is like having two standout signings too. I'd say that so far that BPF; Adeniran, Corbeanu and Gregory look like being smart signings and quite remarkable signings, especially after last season and our past troubles on and off the pitch in the previous few years. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ashamanic said:

the standout players - those that seem to be a level above Div 1 are probably Bannon, Luongo, Dunkley and Iorfa, I don’t know that any of the newcomers, with the possible exception of Corbenau if he can show it for more than a couple of games fit that category

Statistically we don’t have any players a level above League 1. Because they are our players and because we don’t know much about the other teams there’s a tendency to overhype. 

43CFD1D5-C925-45ED-8827-A602E4F2F2CC.png

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, room0035 said:

Injuries have forced Moore to stop making 5 or 6 changes every game and with a consistent line up the results have improved.

Yes, this is my slight worry.

Has he found his best team or has it been pretty-much forced onto him through injury?

I hope we don’t see wholesale rotation now that he has numerous options with several players coming back into the squad.

So far so good: Gregory Peacock Dennis Hunt

so so: kamberi, Hunt 

not sure, the rest.

it was always going to take time and working out his best team. I think that’s now starting to happen, and it will be interesting how he handles hutch windass luongo returning from injury, and new additions Laing plus a new CB either free agent or JTW. Persisting with this formation and players now fit, I would say the keeper is 60/40 to BP, Palmer and dunkle plus one other at the back.

Bannan Luongo plus one other for the three MF spots, with Dennis in pole position

Out wide I would say Cornbeans gets one shirt, with Shopidoo, Johnson and Brown scrapping for the other.

Up front Gregory plus one from Windass, kamberi and Berahino.

Though I’ve probably forgotten someone. Not sure where Hunt fits in this formation tbh. Good fullback, but not sure as a wing back.