Freddie Mercury - one of the greatest

Pablo Bonvin

30 years ago we lost a true great, one of the best musicians ever to have lived (in my opinion).

I remember hearing he’d passed away, just a day or so after it was confirmed he’d been suffering from AIDS. He was the first star whose death really affected me as a young bloke. 

Great singer, one part of a great band (the stars aligned when they all got together in Queen). Still missed to this day.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, alanharper said:

Mods - please delete the words "one of" from the thread title

Actually I agree. I was just trying to be my typical middle of the road self on here when creating the thread.  I’ve been listening to him all morning on the good oldold iPod . These Are The Days of Our Lives always brings me to tears, and it has done again just now. 

What a singer, what a band, what a performer. 

Simply the best ever for me. Best voice, best frontman, writer of great songs and a great musician as well. I'm mostly into hard rock, but Queen are my favourite band of all time and always will be. I wish I'd been able to see them live (I could have seen "Queen and Adam Lambert", but that's just not "Queen" for me), but I was still only 14 when they played their last concert. I actually have a mate, older than me obviously, who saw them live at Sheffield in 1974, so jealous.

Confession - when my twins were born, they were induced a couple of weeks before full term, and they said it could be booked in for either the 20th or 21st May. I instantly chose 21st May, purely because it was the date that Great King Rat was born so I'd always be able to remember it.

On 24/11/2021 at 15:06, alanharper said:

Simply the best ever for me. Best voice, best frontman, writer of great songs and a great musician as well. I'm mostly into hard rock, but Queen are my favourite band of all time and always will be. I wish I'd been able to see them live (I could have seen "Queen and Adam Lambert", but that's just not "Queen" for me), but I was still only 14 when they played their last concert. I actually have a mate, older than me obviously, who saw them live at Sheffield in 1974, so jealous.

Confession - when my twins were born, they were induced a couple of weeks before full term, and they said it could be booked in for either the 20th or 21st May. I instantly chose 21st May, purely because it was the date that Great King Rat was born so I'd always be able to remember it.

I saw Queen and Adam Lambert a couple of years back and it was a good show tbf

Lambert came on stage did a song then addressed the crowd with “ I know what your thinking, he’s no Freddie…….. No sh*t” which I thought was brilliant 

Edited by Django

Freddy Mercury is without doubt one of the greatest frontmen ever and in my opinion, the greatest singer of all time. I’m basing that on his voice range.

For the record, Queen aren’t in my favourite bands, but they have done some great songs and even if you are not a fan, no one could dispute his amazing voice.

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Adam Lambert is horrific 

At the end of the day, though, Freddie is just irreplaceable and no one can step into his shoes*. Adam Lambert probably ticks as many boxes as are realistically possible. (Did anyone spot his cameo in Bohemian Rhapsody?)

* Having said that, George Michael came as close as anyone when he sung Somebody To Love. I mean, he really did inhabit the song. But for whatever reason, Brian May said that George was never a viable replacement for Freddie.

8 hours ago, sexpistol said:

For the record, Queen aren’t in my favourite bands, but they have done some great songs and even if you are not a fan, no one could dispute his amazing voice.

I've got a theory that Queen are possibly the best 'singles' band ever. IMO, with the possible exception of A Night At The Opera, they never made a great album. But they released great singles for years and years. Those songs pretty much soundtracked my life from a young boy when music was just starting to make an impression on me, to my mid 20s when Freddie passed away. 

• Like 1

On 21/12/2021 at 07:54, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I've got a theory that Queen are possibly the best 'singles' band ever. IMO, with the possible exception of A Night At The Opera, they never made a great album. But they released great singles for years and years. Those songs pretty much soundtracked my life from a young boy when music was just starting to make an impression on me, to my mid 20s when Freddie passed away. 

I've loved Queen for most of my life, the first album I can ever remember regularly listening to was actually the Flash Gordon soundtrack, but some of my least favourite songs are actually well known singles (I want to break free, Another one bites the dust,  You're my best friend, Killer Queen, urrghh) and some of my favourites are deep cuts that non-fans will have never heard of. 

My favourite album is probably Queen II which only has one fairly well known song on it (Seven Seas of Rhye)

On 21/12/2021 at 07:54, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Sheer heart attack and a kind of magic  where belters