Josh Windass

4 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

100% this. They are clearly Championship level players and good ones at that. Bannan also looks 5x better once he has Luongo along side him. 

Bannan is a fantastic player who needs great players around him. He needs players who are comfortble on the ball and move well to bring out the best in him.

Today was a good example. We were good up to a point, but whenever a player received the ball we were static and not moving. Make a run into space and Bannan will fine you. Problem is that not all players around him can or will do that.

• Like 1

Just now, Last_Great_Hope said:

Bannan is a fantastic player who needs great players around him. He needs players who are comfortble on the ball and move well to bring out the best in him.

Today was a good example. We were good up to a point, but whenever a player received the ball we were static and not moving. Make a run into space and Bannan will fine you. Problem is that not all players around him can or will do that.

Agreed. Luongo does that brilliantly. He breaks up play, and then either plays a great forward pass himself of passes short to his teammate and then goes and finds some space. Way too too for the opponents in this league to handle. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

100% this. They are clearly Championship level players and good ones at that. Bannan also looks 5x better once he has Luongo along side him. 

He takes that pressure off Bannan to try and do everything. Bannan can go and make runs for Luongo to pick out, or sit back and have a minute while Luongo tries to drive forward. 

Luongo made a massive difference when he came on, Windass gave another option up front as well. 

Can see Windass and Gregory causing some trouble for defenders if they both stay fit. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

Totally.

Played some sublime passes! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The actual finish (following the comedy miskick) was excellent. 

I've actually witnessed him deliberately missing on the training field like that (I've not) and it was obviously a dummy to set himself up for the actual shot (it wasn't) lol

I've said in another thread he is obviously rusty, until instinct kicked in. Bar his goal, the other big plus for me is that he seem to have retained most of his pace. I was concerned he may have lost a couple of yards due to having a hamstring injury. Early days but he seems to have still got enough pace. 

• Like 1

Just now, Holmowl said:

He was outstanding.

Oozed quality. And he played for the team. 

Why he is so vital to us, he drops in work the line, and links the play. Similar to how Hooper used to for us. 

He stays fit and with us after January. We get promoted.

• Like 1

Great player in his direct style.

Most importantly he offers us something different to Kamberi/Gregory partnership who are too similar playing with their back to goal and lacking in pace. Bringing Windass on with his pace allowed us to get behind their defence. 

He’ll get us 10 - 15 goals if he stays fit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Why he is so vital to us, he drops in work the line, and links the play. Similar to how Hooper used to for us. 

He stays fit and with us after January. We get promoted.

He does it in a different way to Hooper, but his overall contribution to our attack is similarly important, and we don't have anyone else in the squad who seems to naturally find those pockets of space, drive defenders backwards, and knit everything together in the way that Windass does.

8 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Luongo and Windass are a class above. 

Never knew Windass was so good at corners too. Can’t seem to recall him taking many last season?

I was thinking that as he stood over it, too - I'm not sure he took many at all, did he? It made a nice change to see him and Hunt get a go this evening.

Felt a bit sorry for Dunkley, too - he won everything in the air tonight, then the one corner that hit a different player and it finally went in!