• Dunkley
    • Dele-Bashiru
    • Bannan
    • Kamberi
    • Gregory
    • Corbeanu
    • Luongo
    • Windass

Back 3 very assured, Dunkley is a colossus isn't he? Right position for every cross into our box and how much of a threat is he from set pieces? Must have won 5 headers from attacking corners last night they couldn't pick him up what so ever. Loved been proved wrong by him, still not keen on playing out from the back with him but that's not his game so i won't judge him on that. Defensively outstanding while Iorfa has been out.

Special mention for Hunt, heard shouts about his legs have gone, heard shouts that all our wingers are better in that position, last night he was on par for MOTM with Dunkley. His crossing was superb, he has the defensive know how aswell and very unlucky hitting the post, wing backs are hard to come by and if we're playing a flying winger on the left he offers good balance on the right, think them two have nailed down the wing back roles now unless Mendez Laing gets the nod but it would be unfair on Hunt, he is good going both ways in this division. 

Byers flatters to deceive, if Luongo isn't starting Saturday i'd go with Wing, obviously FDB, Bannan and Luongo would be the first choice but Luongo will be getting managed closely, not sure Byers offers enough with and without the ball to start against Wycombe. Good problems to have though as we have 6 players including Denis to challenge for the 3 roles. Luongo is a rolls royce though, he will be the difference come the end of the season if he stays fit. We saw that at Rotherham away, Accy away and last night, if he starts 20 games from now until the end of the season we'll be fine. 

Plenty of options up top too, think Windass and Gregory will be the eventual pairing when fully fit but like Luongo we need to manage him properly, Kamberi/Paterson are fine to partner Gregory while we manage Windass but i think Gregory and Kamberi are too similar, not blistering movement from either and both quite hustle and bustle centre forwards, Windass brings the movement and pace to the front line. 

Great options though now, Hutch/Iorfa will be welcomed back too to help ease the workload on Palmer and Brennan at centre back but i think we may have finally got it right, 8/9 players seem to pick themselves now which is very refreshing to see as it was a lottery for positions 3 games ago

• Like 2
  • Love 1

A very good team performance and several great individual performances.

First half Bannan played a little deeper with Byers further forward. When Luongo came on and Bannan pushed higher we looked really impressive.

Thought the MK keeper was very good his handling was excellent.

BPF.   6.5.  Not a lot to do and stood no chance with the thunderbolt goal.

Brennan.   7.   Another competent performance , I have no worries with him.

Dunkley.    9.5.   Fantastic, won everything at the back and had at least 4 headers on target from corners. Would have been a 10 if one of those had gone in.

Palmer.  7.    Decent defensively pushed forward effectively.

Hunt.  7.      Best game since he came back, showing for the ball and giving options down the right. Unlucky when he hit the post.

Bannan.  8.5.  Thought he was very good particularity when Luongo came on and he played further forward. Some of his balls between the lines were very good.

Byers.  5.5.   Thought he was quiet.

Dele.    6.5.   Usually retains possession well but wasn't very good first half. Second half was much better, his strength is a real asset in midfield

Corbeanu 8.5   Another very good performance, they doubled up on him and he still caused the loads of problems. Any other day one of those shots get spilled by their keeper.

Gregory.  7 Worked hard and scored a very good goal. Missed a good chance. Got better as the game progressed.

Kamberi   6  Thought he was doing better than Gregory when hooked. Close control not very good.

Luongo    was superb when he came on. Reads the game so well, makes good decisions and is so strong.

Windass.   Showed what we have been missing, stretched the defence, good corner and cracking second shot for the goal.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

I think we got a glimpse of what the team can become last night...created chances, defended well AND pushed on to get the points instead of settling for a point...looks like we have a PLAN at last 😁

The way we ground out the result the last two games will do wonders for the confidence of the team.  They’ll feel unbeatable.

• Like 1

BPF   -  6.5

Palmer   -   6

Dunkley   -   7.5

Brennan   -   6.5

Hunt   -   7

Byers   -   6

FDB   -   6

Bannan   -   7

Corbeanu   -   7

Gregory   -   6.5

Kamberi   -   6.5

Windass   -   7

Luongo   -   7

Peacock-Farrell - 6 - Cannot think of anything he had to do of real note. Had no chance with the goal, which was a wonderstrike. Committed to playing from the back, despite bursts of impatience from the fans, which helped us to control the game for long periods.

Brennan - 6 - On the whole, I thought it was another very assured and accomplished performance. For a young lad, he's confidence and comfortable with the ball at his feet. Couple of occasions where his eagerness to win the ball saw him get turned or beaten to the ball, and allowed MK Dons to initiate an attack. He'll learn, but a very encouraging start.

Dunkley - 8 - Another simply dominant performance...in both boxes. How he's not scored I'll never know. Had the beating of any MK Dons player that went near him. Couple of crucial interceptions and cut out a couple of potentially threatening crosses. Led by example, and he's on a brilliant run of form at present. 

Palmer - 6 - Everything he did well on Saturday, he refused to do today. Cannot remember him once getting down the side of Corbeanu, instead constantly bringing the ball out, passing it to Corbeanu and then simply standing and watching him try and weave his way through 2 or 3 players. Also, very loose defensively, and left a lot of space in behind on too many occasions...one of which lead to MK Dons first goal. 

Hunt - 7 - Another decent performance. Both backed up Brennan and provided a constant attacking threat. Couple of dangerous runs and balls in the box, and took a few very good corners which Dunkley attacked brilliantly. So unfortunate with the effort which hit the post also, and nearly got his reward for chasing a lost cause.

Byers - 6 - I think he'll be frustrated with his performance. He kept finding pockets of space, but we failed to feed him time after time in the 1st half. Obviously a bit rusty, but good to get 50 minutes into him. Surprised he didn't start at the base of the midfield, and allow Bannan to play further forward.

Bannan - 8 - He was at his best again tonight. Played deep again in the 1st half, but he still looked to dictate things against a pretty conservative MK Dons midfield. Unlucky with the long range effort, and put a couple of dangerous corners into the box. When Luongo came on, it allowed him to play further forward, which stopped MK Dons from playing out from the back, but also got Bannan into much more threatening positions more often. No surprise he was instrumental in the move, which led to the winning goal.

Dele-Bashiru - 6 - Struggled in the 1st half with his passing, but threatened with a brilliant run late on in the 1st half. Upped his game in the 2nd half, and I thought he was beginning to get the game by the scruff of the neck. He's busy, and he's always positive. Gives us some much needed legs, in an otherwise pretty static midfield. Didn't agree with substituting him at the time, but worked out a treat, as Windass seemed to be given licence to roam.

Corbeanu - 8 - In the 1st half, he looked a threat without too much coming off from him. But, he kept going, and kept asking questions of MK Dons right wing back, Kioso, and eventually he just ground them down. In the last 15 minutes he was unplayable. He our bit of magic, and we've got to accept there'll be times when he frustrates us, but that's got to be balanced with his ability to lift the crowd and make something happen. Showed great composure to slide Windass in for the goal, when others would've just looked to put the ball across the face of goal. Would love to know his running stats...he put a right shift in.

Kamberi - 6 - Again, thought he did alright, without too much coming off. Which was the story of the 1st half really. No surprise he was withdrawn for Windass given the situation of the game.

Gregory - 7 - Started the game sloppily, couple of loose touches, lost possession too easily. But he's a goal threat, and he's always likely to get you something out of nothing. Turned out for an absolute stonewall penalty, but took his goal really well.

Windass - 8 - What a return! An assist and a last minute winning goal. They don't come much better than that! Showed his class, and his ability to run at players. He and Luongo changed the game.

Luongo - 8 - Man of the Match - If he had replicated that performance over 90 minutes, he would've got a 10/10. I cannot remember him putting a foot wrong. Instantly from his introduction, we controlled the game. Luongo just orchestrated everything, but by just doing the basics exceptionally well. These last two games have just reaffirmed what most of us already knew...he's far too good for this league. If we keep him and Windass fit between now and the end of the season, I genuinely expect us to be challenging for automatic promotion. 

Berahino - 6 - I just can't fathom him out. For a player who once went for £12m and was touted as the next best thing, technically he seems so lacklustre. Still hasn't got to grips with the pace or physicality of League One football. That said, got on the end of Bannan's brilliant through ball, and put a dangerous ball across the box, which should've been converted by somebody.

Overall...

HUGE result, and a very good performance. Not only does it get rid of that awful statistic about coming from behind to win a game, but from an atmospheric perspective, I cannot remember the last time Hillsborough was as buoyant as it was at the final whistle. This needs to be a watershed moment, and collectively, we cannot allow it to be wasted.

Performance wise, even had Windass fluffed his lines and not been given a 2nd bite of the cherry last night, I still think we should've been looking at it positively. A month ago, we were craving us to play positive, front foot attacking football which asked questions of the opposition, rather than worrying about them ourselves. And the last few games we have seen more and more evidence of that.

Reading on here and some articles beforehand, people have waxed lyrical about MK Dons and the way their play their football. Well, I'm sorry, I saw no evidence of that at all tonight. They looked ponderous, pedestrian, and threatened only on the counter on a few occasions. But that wasn't because MK Dons are rubbish, its because we stamped our authority on the game. We got into the young MK Dons players faces, and put them under pressure...and they wilted...eventually. And there's no reason why we shouldn't be doing the same against every team in this division, whether home or away.

We have the best squad in the division, which has been decimated by injuries. But with key players coming back, we should fear nobody.

• Like 4

Bailey Peacock-Farrell - 6.5 - Had little to do, and no chance with the goal. Distribution wasn't perfect with some indecisiveness. 

Brennan - 6.5 - Perhaps I'm being a little harsh but in the first half he made a couple of mistakes that could have lead to a goal - missed a couple of runners on the break and got turned a couple of times. Hunt was doing really well staying back to support him which is what he needed but affected us detrimentally going forward. In the 2nd half had much less to do and a bit more composed on the ball with some nice passes. 

Dunkley - 8.5 - A colossus. His threat from set pieces as we stand it up at the far post is fantastic and it's something that's so clearly needed in this League. Remember Rob Jones? In defence there's been an immeasurable improvement since he's stopped being asked to play the ball out with his feet and do the job he's paid to do - defend. 

Palmer - 7 - A little sloppy in the opening stages with some misplaced passes and touches but grew into things well and defensively sound.  

Hunt - 7.5 - Very good yesterday - was a little more conservative in the opening 45 because he was conscious of not leaving Brennan exposed but supported the young lad well. In the 2nd 45 his confidence grew going forward and he put in some wonderful crosses and beat his man.

Bannan - 8 - I've been critical of his set-pieces for a very long time but much better yesterday. He had the run of the show for the most part and was a menace. Once Windass was on the pitch it was great to see Windass, Corbeanu and Bannan linking up to play some really quite brilliant stuff - a long time since we've seen that quality. 

Byers - 6 - Looked a little lost in the first half and a bit unsure of his position. Seemed to be playing a more attacking role but struggled to impose himself. Some neat one touches to keep possession and a nice cross for a Kamberi header though. 

Dele -  6.5 - He drifts in and out of games, and a little naive at times - but he does have some great power and a burst of energy. Kept the ball well in the second half. He'll be a real asset when he continues to develop. 

Corbeanu - 8.5 - Another fantastic performance.  This time he was up against a much better defender than he previously has, they doubled up on him and he still managed to be a threat - really coming into things late. One of those truly exciting talents that you just want to watch on the ball. We need to be conscious that we don't fall into the trap of just using him as our only outlet though.

Gregory - 7 - I though Gregory worked hard but was fairly inneffective and missed a couple of really good chances. I've no idea how he missed the one that Berahino provided for him. Saying all that - his goal was a brilliant, deft header showing the quality he has. 

Kamberi  - 6  - Works hard, disturbs defenders and puts himself about. Not entirely his day today but a good headed attempt from Byers' cross just creeped wide. Definitely an asset for us. 

----

Luongo - 9 - With the COVID break I struggle to remember many recent games but I'm not sure I can remember a substitute having so much of an impact. He just makes the team work - similar to how Kieran Lee used to. He jogged on the pitch, crunched a challenge to win the ball and his first ball forward resulted in an opportunity. A presence, a ball winner, bringing others into the game, keeps the ball and creates opportunities. He was absolutely fantastic. I don't tend to give too high ratings but my MOM. 

Windass - 8.5 - Made some good runs, looks to have linked up well with Bannan and Corbeanu and could become a real catalyst for our improvement. Some rusty moments as to be expected but you can't grumble with an assist and a late winner. 

Berahino - 7 - I actually think he played well when he came on - he should have had an assist, held the ball up well and supported. The right decision to have him on the pitch as the result proved and more of the same will breed goals for him and others. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ash77 said:

Thats fine, i don't get upset and name call when people don't agree!

Based on the evidence though think he's worth a go at rwb, he got 13 goals/assists at oxford, hunt has 1 assist so far.

You say its strange or whatever to consider shodipo but hes played lwb so might do better on his natural side like theo very much has. Infact theo on left is 1 of key reasons our season is turning, 2 goals, 2 assists in 4 or so apps at lwb is top quality.

Hunt is better defensively so might be better, against certain sides with a good left winger, but shodipo would be better attacking wise like theo on the other side, IN MY OPINION (i'm not starting a campaign/protest etc) 😄

Average scores are in too btw, top scorers from 15 ratings were dunkley 8.4, luongo 8, theo 8, bannan 7.7, windass 7.8. Hunt scored well too in 6th at 7.2, didn't see your scores but cheers for your constructive input 😄

we have a big squad and shopido will get plenty of game time over the course of the season .

hes not taken off so far but as you say the attacking wing back spot should suit him and playing in a winning confident team might make all the difference ..

I think Moore wants some continuity right now and while it's working he will stick with  corbs and hunt..

Paterson and shodipo are ready when they need a rest/ lose form though and will see how they can force their way back in with hard training and taking chances when they are given .(see kamberi ,fizz,..)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Miffed said:

Are you kidding? I thought Hunt was exceptional

hunt especially in the first half was tormenting his man, whipping in crosses ..working hard for the team. almost scored .

was really impressed and will have more of that!

Paterson is very solid at rwb .so rotate as hunt seems like one of those that fires for a few games and then needs little rests 

• Like 1

Voted for Dunkley, has he's looking like a commanding leader at the back and a beast in both boxes. Most pleasing to me is to finally seeing us with a spine to the team, looking more like a balanced team and seeing us comeback to win a game for the first time in a long while. If we can keep them fit Dunkley, Luongo and Windass, along with Bannan's cleverness and passing, would be a very good spine to the team or for any team especially at this level. 

10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

whoscored.com's stat-based ratings below.

I think this is the first time this season that their star man has come off the bench...

1173840021_Screenshot2021-11-24at19_10_43.png.6afe4ac420953020805be5a06a1b7cb5.png

IMO They did not get it right this time. 

Luongo deserves more than a 6.7  (especially in comparison with Byers 6.1., Hunt 7,6 or Berahino 6.1) 
And it was not BPF's fault that he had a quiet night