Mendez Laing Signs - Official

3 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

My prediction 

Spend next three weeks getting volume in his legs 

Makes debut, gets crocked and never seen again this season. 

Although considering my above post I think this is actually the most likely thing to happen - the Wednesday way

• Like 1

He's a bit of a unit isn't he. 

I can see the logic behind signing him, though you sort of wonder why it has taken quite so long to do it. 

He got promoted with Cardiff a few seasons back and he didn't do so bad in the PL. 

5 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Bit of a gamble given his track record - but his footballing record also includes some excellent performances in this league and the one above. 

Still under 30 so plenty to give. My main issue is the number of wingers we’ve got  (surely Sow will go), but in itself it doesn’t seem a bad signing. Not buying into the stuff about DM adding to the wrong area of the team, Brennan’s performance on Saturday was reassuring on that front.

You’re using some of the rationale others used when Berahino was signed. This signing will end the same way. A complete waste of money and another name to add to Moore’s random team generator “The Selectomatron”. History shows that busted flushes stay busted. 

• Like 1

For the too many wingers comments . 

Theo

johnson- can play various positions 

shodipo - loan not worked out,yet and could end up going back in jan 

sow- not really worked out , seems to be well out of favour , when we did play him it’s more in the cup etc and up top

brown is a left back who just played left mid the odd time , certainly don’t expect him to be starting there anymore 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Matt_1 said:

I absolutely love this club.

> Be Wednesday
> Have 100 attackers on the books.

> Manager does an interview
> Talks about a secret CB we are trying to sign
> ????

> Sign an attacker.

Would actually lay this at DMs door because unlike other managers in the Chansiri era he’s had full control over recruitment. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

He's a bit of a unit isn't he. 

I can see the logic behind signing him, though you sort of wonder why it has taken quite so long to do it. 

He got promoted with Cardiff a few seasons back and he didn't do so bad in the PL. 

I'd imagine they were waiting for him to get up to speed from a fitness perspective.

Why pay him a full wage to get himself match ready, when we can condition him whilst he's on a prolonged trial. 

Mutually beneficial for both parties. Mendez-Laing has an incentive to get physical ready and prove himself to earn a full deal, and we can integrate him into the club and our way of playing, whilst saving on finances. 

Moore said the other day, we wouldn't be signing anybody who wasn't match ready. So he obviously feel Mendez-Laing has now reached that level.

Now, whether he's what we need, is another question altogether that I'm not totally convinced by. But I can certainly understand why it's taken so long to sign him up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

I thought there was an embargo on us paying any transfer fees, obviously not relevant in November but would restrict who we could sign in the transfer window.

Does anyone know what the situation re the embargo.  When will it be lifted, what has to be done for that to happen.  Has it already been lifted now the accounts are up to date 

4 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

DC has certainly supported Moore in the transfer market this year. Half the squad has or should be in the championship. If we can't go up with this lot something is wrong.

Really?? Which ones?

DC is the reason as to why we are having to take punts on the likes of Mendez-Laing and Berahinho