The strange case of Sylla Sow

9 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

In the games he has played upfront he has looked better than Berahino. Yet Berahino still ahead of him in pecking order no matter what.

Berahino was brought here by Moore specifically cos he’s worked with him before

Moore just trying desperately trying to prove a point - if you didn’t know any better you’d think it was favouritism 

6 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

My son and I both rated Sow, even when he was still settling in, he gave a good performance in the Pizza cup and we thought he would then play more games. I have been far more impressed with him than Shodipo, or Berahino, but we were told that Sow was going to take longer to get up to speed than the other two. I get the feeling that given the same amount of game time as the other two (Shodipo & Berahino), Sow would have given us a better return. His running and attitude is better and his finishing has been sharper in the odd games he has been allowed on the pitch. I would either send Shodipo back to QPR or play him in every U23 game until he can offer as much as Sow, or Sow gets injured. I would also rather see Adedoyin come on to liven up our front line that Berahino, but then, I was totally sold on the idea of talented, fit, young, enthusiastic players, who play with the right attitude, throughout the team, but we still seem intent on bringing in more old, past it, crocks, some of whom have a bad record with drugs related issues! Which way are we going now. Up the brave new path to a successful team with a future, or back to being the go to club for high wages when nobody else would even give you a chance?

I hope we manage to find the right mix and start controlling games a lot better than we are doing because we are definitely capable of a lot more and need to be in the promotion mix at the end of the season, because another year of league 1 football could be very costly long term.

I personally think we will stand a better chance of succeeding if players like Sow and Adedoyin are getting the minutes, rather than Berahino and Shodipo, although they could suddenly hit a run of form, I just doubt it. I also think that Adedoyin and Sow are more likely to give the team a lift, or an extra dimension in the last 20 minutes or so, if subs are required, but Shodipo did look a little bit more keen to try and emulate what Corbeanu has been doing since he was given the chance. 

Over to the experts that see the players performing everyday and risk losing their jobs if they get it wrong. Every confidence in Darren Moore and the players to get us promoted or very close, this season. We do not want to be the nearly team though, as DM has already mentioned.

UTO! 

I suspect we are going for whatever gets us promoted. Rasy for Moore to say he will bring youth through but when his job is on the line any manager will go for the player who will get him points now not in the future. Mendez Laing would appear to fit that bill.

Personally I'm all for giving youth a chance if it/they are good enough.

10 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

What's the crack with this cove? 

I've seen so little of him I couldn't recall if he was a loan or permanent.

A quick check says we signed him permanently from RKC Waalwijk.

So far it's been 5 minutes here and there apart from the Mickey Mouse Cup starts. ( 3 games, 2 goals) and a half at Plymouth - where everyone played badly. 

Apparently he's a winger. Though I thought he looked ok as a striker, admittedly against Harrogate.

25 years old

6 feet.

Looks quite quick. 

Plays off both feet.

Likes to get a shot off when I've seen him.

Belongs to us.

1625577302_SowGif.gif.0618b020cd3d6b4ce7a8a68a49066940.gif

Is he terrible in training or something? 

I'm not suggesting the chap is going to be a World beater. He wouldn't be playing for us if he was. But I do admit to finding it slightly surprising he hasn't had much of a look in while Gregory and Windass have been out. 

Not seen any evidence so far to suggest he's any less effective than Berahino has been. 

Would he have put away the couple of chances Paterson had on Saturday? 

I do wonder. 

Very odd signing if he's not going to be used.

I haven't read any of posts after this. 

Sow was one of the "we want more money" brigade. 

I have no idea what he is paid. Just saying what I know. 

43 minutes ago, reggae said:

I haven't read any of posts after this. 

Sow was one of the "we want more money" brigade. 

I have no idea what he is paid. Just saying what I know. 

What's this about, a bunch of players have asked for more money?

Don't they know we're skint and DC is £350m in the red so far?!

9 minutes ago, 0742 said:

What's this about, a bunch of players have asked for more money?

Don't they know we're skint and DC is £350m in the red so far?!

We certainly aren't skint. And it is around £400m he's spent so far. 

And wages have been paid. 

Ps. Did you know Gary madine is on £6k a week in the championship. 

And we pay 2 players at least treble that ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Signed when Moore wanted to go 4-3-3. Now he’s abandoned that and gone 3-5-2 there’s no real place for him in the squad. Similar with Shodipo. 

Corbeanu has managed to adapt to that wing back role and I imagine Mendez Laing will be playing there too. Just don’t think that’s Sow or Shodipo’s game, they look more like inside forwards to me.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Signed when Moore wanted to go 4-3-3. Now he’s abandoned that and gone 3-5-2 there’s no real place for him in the squad. Similar with Shodipo. 

Corbeanu has managed to adapt to that wing back role and I imagine Mendez Laing will be playing there too. Just don’t think that’s Sow or Shodipo’s game, they look more like inside forwards to me.

Agree largley.

Difference between Shodipo and Sow though is that Sow can play as a central striker.

12 hours ago, prowl said:

I'd like to see more of him to make my mind up. What I have seen suggests he could be an asset with a few games under his belt. May not get a look in now if Gregory stays fit and Windass comes back. I'd play 2 out of Gregory, Kamberi and Windass in every game.

Shodipo has had more game time and he looks lost so far.

Suddenly we look very dangerous in front of goal. At least in an opponents view!

I haven’t seen enough of Sow seeing as he’s had a limited amount of games to pass a definitive assessment on him yet.

He has a decent amount of experience playing at a high standard of football, okay RKC Waalwijk have hardly set the Eredivisie alight in the last couple of seasons but it’s still the Dutch top league.

He has age on his side at 25, if he can remain injury free and shows he has the ability and drive to succeed we could get his ‘best’ years out of him, which in that respect is a good signing.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, prowl said:

I suspect we are going for whatever gets us promoted. Rasy for Moore to say he will bring youth through but when his job is on the line any manager will go for the player who will get him points now not in the future. Mendez Laing would appear to fit that bill.

Personally I'm all for giving youth a chance if it/they are good enough.

I have a funny feeling that our new winger/goalscorer NML could be just what we need at the moment, but I would hope there might be room for him and Sow in one of Darren's attack loaded formations. Maybe we could also get a sneak preview of good things to come tonight, if Windass gets a few minutes.

UTO!

• Like 1

Normally when these ‘what the hell happened to this player’ threads start up the player suddenly gets a start or at least a good run off the bench. I therefore expect him to get a starting place tonight and get a hat trick. We will then not see him again for seven weeks. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

I have a funny feeling that our new winger/goalscorer NML could be just what we need at the moment, but I would hope there might be room for him and Sow in one of Darren's attack loaded formations. Maybe we could also get a sneak preview of good things to come tonight, if Windass gets a few minutes.

UTO!

I hope so. Our right has been a bit of a letdown as far as attacking goes. If we can hit them on both flanks so much the better.

• Like 1

Why has Berahino been given so much game time? Because his pedigree says he MIGHT have been the best striker in this league. We HAD to give him the chance to prove himself - sadly he's proved himself to be not good enough for this level. It was a gamble that didn't work.

I agree it's a bit of a mystery that Sow hasn't had more of a chance though. But we don't know what goes on in training etc.

The other mystery is why Shodipo, who was so successful last season with Oxford (just look on youtube for some of his goals) has turned into a completely different player, indeed person, here at Hillsborough. He too had the pedigree to be above Sow in the pecking order but his performances so far have been mostly shoddy and sometimes poo (sorry).

Sadly now we seem to have learned that Berahino and Shodipo aren't up to it, Sow still won't get a look in because we've signed Mendez-Laing and we have Windass on the way back too.

23 hours ago, reggae said:

We certainly aren't skint. And it is around £400m he's spent so far. 

And wages have been paid. 

Ps. Did you know Gary madine is on £6k a week in the championship. 

And we pay 2 players at least treble that ?

I'd be very surprised if it was only two players. For sure, Bannan, Luongo, Windass and Iorfa will be on more than that. Would also assume we are paying that much of BPF's wages at least.