The strange case of Sylla Sow

2 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

In the games he has played upfront he has looked better than Berahino. Yet Berahino still ahead of him in pecking order no matter what.

Agreed, however a blind 3 legged dog would look better than Berahino.

Played 28 games in the Eredivisie last season. The 7th best league in the world, higher level than the Championship. 25 years old, not even in his prime yet.

And we're going to lose him because we think that players 4-5 years past their best who played <10 games in the Championship last season have better pedigree. 

• Like 4

My son and I both rated Sow, even when he was still settling in, he gave a good performance in the Pizza cup and we thought he would then play more games. I have been far more impressed with him than Shodipo, or Berahino, but we were told that Sow was going to take longer to get up to speed than the other two. I get the feeling that given the same amount of game time as the other two (Shodipo & Berahino), Sow would have given us a better return. His running and attitude is better and his finishing has been sharper in the odd games he has been allowed on the pitch. I would either send Shodipo back to QPR or play him in every U23 game until he can offer as much as Sow, or Sow gets injured. I would also rather see Adedoyin come on to liven up our front line that Berahino, but then, I was totally sold on the idea of talented, fit, young, enthusiastic players, who play with the right attitude, throughout the team, but we still seem intent on bringing in more old, past it, crocks, some of whom have a bad record with drugs related issues! Which way are we going now. Up the brave new path to a successful team with a future, or back to being the go to club for high wages when nobody else would even give you a chance?

I hope we manage to find the right mix and start controlling games a lot better than we are doing because we are definitely capable of a lot more and need to be in the promotion mix at the end of the season, because another year of league 1 football could be very costly long term.

I personally think we will stand a better chance of succeeding if players like Sow and Adedoyin are getting the minutes, rather than Berahino and Shodipo, although they could suddenly hit a run of form, I just doubt it. I also think that Adedoyin and Sow are more likely to give the team a lift, or an extra dimension in the last 20 minutes or so, if subs are required, but Shodipo did look a little bit more keen to try and emulate what Corbeanu has been doing since he was given the chance. 

Over to the experts that see the players performing everyday and risk losing their jobs if they get it wrong. Every confidence in Darren Moore and the players to get us promoted or very close, this season. We do not want to be the nearly team though, as DM has already mentioned.

UTO! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 0114 said:

I’ve always said the lack of opportunity he’s been given suggests he’s maybe not someone Moore wanted & came from this mysterious “transfer committee” we have set up. 

With the options we have available I would hope move him on swiftly. 

This "Transfer Committee"..Is it like a group of politicians from either end of the f.ookin' spectrum...Cos all we get is left wingers or bloody right wingers!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Likes to get a shot off when I've seen him.

I honestly think that's the problem.

Giving possesion away, when we have an engine room that will be annoyed at you. Bannan, Hutch mainly. 

There's little expression allowed, no freedom to take a risk. More pressure when trying your luck.

• Thanks 1

Just now, bigash_swfc said:

I honestly think that's the problem.

Giving possesion away, when we have an engine room that will be annoyed at you. Bannan, Hutch mainly. 

There's little expression allowed, no freedom to take a risk. More pressure when trying your luck.

They soon change their tune when they end up in the back of the onion bag!

Something we haven't seen anywhere near enough of. 

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

They soon change their tune when they end up in the back of the onion bag!

Something we haven't seen anywhere near enough of. 

True, if we look at the greats like Cristiano Ronaldo, he wouldn't be who he is, if he wasn't encouraged to be himself.

I don't think our forwards are encouraged

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

He looks like he’s suffered from the change of formation like one or two others.

Wouldnt mind seeing him play up front. He came on against Plymouth and was ok with his back to goal which is usually an issue for a winger going up front. He’s strong.

Agree with that Bluey, when he went up front when Shodipo came on for Kamberi I though he looked lively. 

Livelier in that 15 minutes than Bera looked in 60 minutes.

• Thanks 1

So far only Theo has been promising , 

Shodipo not done enough 

brown not a winger 

Johnson - ok at best 

sow has only started at Plymouth and we all know how that game went .. maybe unlucky to not play but would imagine Mendez Laing will be in front of him . Sow done ok in cup games but hard to judge. 

can see him being 4th choice wide option now ,