Short sighted .....

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Nothing wrong with playing it out

last season we walloped it long, resulting in us scoring about 8 goals all season and finishing bottom .

key of course is a mix.’

Everything wrong with playing it out(as our season has shown us,and continued to show us even Sat) we are not good enough to do it,simple as......and as to your reference to last season Really? you use a relegation season with multiple managers,periods without a manager,Covid 19 & its lay off,injury's,and players not being paid as a comparison? Oh what did i forget/ EFL points deduction & a completely different League....

My big worry from Saturday was we had 3 of the back 4 who have over 1,000 professional games between them but, we look very shaky at the back. We have too much room down the flanks even though, we were effectively playing wingbacks ourselves.I

some work on basic defending would not go a miss, it's better to put the ball in row A than give the attacker a chance to put it in the back of the net.

for me the team is crying out to switch to a flat back 4 with the players we have fit. Whatever you do in front but 2 centre backs, 2 full backs. We forget at the start of the season this kept 4 clean sheets. Since then in 14 league games we have manager just 2.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Manwë said:

Goalkeepers making saves makes us look bad and I think would work against us in the long run.  If the Keeper has to make a save, can we really claim the 3 points?  

image.png.cfedaa69f7d5089bed826698f23e610d.png 

"George, George is that you?  George Graham of the Arsenal. It sounds like George Graham of the Arsenal."

"Robert!  George Graham is still alive!"

"Ooh is he?  I don't know who it is then."

• Haha 2

Guest Jack the Hat
2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

They'd only lost two home games before playing us. They may not be the strongest team in the division, but they're clearly not that easy to roll over on their own patch.

They've won 4 out of 8 at home - losing 3. Hardly Liverpool are they? Good straw clutching though.

6 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

They've won 4 out of 8 at home - losing 3. Hardly Liverpool are they? Good straw clutching though.

It's not straw clutching to point out that we're the third team to beat them at home so far this season.

Only five teams had lost fewer home games than them before Saturday's game.

I wouldn't class that as terrible home form.

Guest Jack the Hat
8 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's not straw clutching to point out that we're the third team to beat them at home so far this season.

Only five teams had lost fewer home games than them before Saturday's game.

I wouldn't class that as terrible home form.

They have the 15th best home record and 18th best away record. They are 17th in the table.

1 hour ago, parajack said:

Everything wrong with playing it out(as our season has shown us,and continued to show us even Sat) we are not good enough to do it,simple as......and as to your reference to last season Really? you use a relegation season with multiple managers,periods without a manager,Covid 19 & its lay off,injury's,and players not being paid as a comparison? Oh what did i forget/ EFL points deduction & a completely different League....

i know this is tempting fate but watch our opponents tomorrow and how they do it.  It is incredibly effective in creating space up the pitch.

Their defenders often take the goal kicks with a short pass to the keeper who dribbles it out.  Inevitably a striker then gets excited and steams down on the keeper, and another player comes out of midfield to cover a pass back to the defender who took the kick who is often behind the keeper.  The keeper passes it to another more forward player and all of a sudden you have a gap ahead.

6 hours ago, John Howard said:

Except for an outstanding save  at the death  we would have let a 3-0 lead slip to  a very  embarrassing   3-3 draw ....

Everyone would then have posted vitriolic messages re. bottlers, typical Wednesday etc .

Even with returning stars we still have not got things right and are only in a 'near play off position' due to the poor standard of the league .

Moore still not the man ....sorry ...likeable guy

I see what you mean, but we are short of our first choice centre backs and have been for a few weeks.. Although admittedly we were capitulating whilst they were fit. 

58 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

i know this is tempting fate but watch our opponents tomorrow and how they do it.  It is incredibly effective in creating space up the pitch.

Their defenders often take the goal kicks with a short pass to the keeper who dribbles it out.  Inevitably a striker then gets excited and steams down on the keeper, and another player comes out of midfield to cover a pass back to the defender who took the kick who is often behind the keeper.  The keeper passes it to another more forward player and all of a sudden you have a gap ahead.

I know how its supposed to work,how many times does it go pear shaped? who is going to link midfield to attack?(for us?) its an easy systym to short circuit by a high press...leaving you vulnerable in just the area your opponents want the ball....

A side like ours vulnerable as well to dead ball situations,corners,free kicks,etc in such area;s its asking for double trouble....

Dont play it out to me =50% less chance of conceding a goal...

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

My big worry from Saturday was we had 3 of the back 4 who have over 1,000 professional games between them but, we look very shaky at the back. We have too much room down the flanks even though, we were effectively playing wingbacks ourselves.I

some work on basic defending would not go a miss, it's better to put the ball in row A than give the attacker a chance to put it in the back of the net.

for me the team is crying out to switch to a flat back 4 with the players we have fit. Whatever you do in front but 2 centre backs, 2 full backs. We forget at the start of the season this kept 4 clean sheets. Since then in 14 league games we have manager just 2.

442? or 433? totally agree by the way

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, parajack said:

I know how its supposed to work,how many times does it go pear shaped? who is going to link midfield to attack?(for us?) its an easy systym to short circuit by a high press...leaving you vulnerable in just the area your opponents want the ball....

A side like ours vulnerable as well to dead ball situations,corners,free kicks,etc in such area;s its asking for double trouble....

Dont play it out to me =50% less chance of conceding a goal...

To do it properly you need pace and movement up front, they can't high press as effectively if you're just going to bang it over them.

Kamberi can move them about a bit, that's a lot of the reason we've been able to be more direct lately, but we really need a pure pace man somewhere near the front line.

6 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

To do it properly you need pace and movement up front, they can't high press as effectively if you're just going to bang it over them.

Kamberi can move them about a bit, that's a lot of the reason we've been able to be more direct lately, but we really need a pure pace man somewhere near the front line.

100 percent 

you will see Tuesday the forwards MKD have.  Assuming they play 2 of Parrott, Wotters and twine , they are all rapid and direct and will pull our defenders all over the place.  

48 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

100 percent 

you will see Tuesday the forwards MKD have.  Assuming they play 2 of Parrott, Wotters and twine , they are all rapid and direct and will pull our defenders all over the place.  

Sow, Byers and Luongo were ripping Harrogate apart with one touch passing at times last week. The pace of Sow was making space everywhere as they had to chase with 2 everytime he moved.

This left Berahino and Shodipo in acres of space at times as well as stretching midfield.