Short sighted .....

1 hour ago, Jack the Hat said:

This is a poor league and Accrington are a poor team in poor form. We clung on to beat them. We played well the first 35 and the last 10. They had the other 45 mins. With the squad we should be better than this at this stage of the season. Against a better team, it's unlikely we would have gone 3 up but likely we would still have conceded. I understand why people are happy with the win but it was anything but convincing. Take the 3 points but all the problems after the other games are still there. 

They'd only lost two home games before playing us. They may not be the strongest team in the division, but they're clearly not that easy to roll over on their own patch.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, parajack said:

Lets see how the next 2 season making/breaking games play out...........we will have a better view of where our season is going after that

The next game is not make or break.

As I have said, I think we will lose tomorrow as they are the best team in the league.  But I'm not going to wet myself over one defeat to the best team in the league when we have barely lost all season.,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Howard said:

Except for an outstanding save  at the death  we would have let a 3-0 lead slip to  a very  embarrassing   3-3 draw ....

Everyone would then have posted vitriolic messages re. bottlers, typical Wednesday etc .

Even with returning stars we still have not got things right and are only in a 'near play off position' due to the poor standard of the league .

We won

Three points

Three goals scored

Winners

Sorted

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, Manwë said:

Some people are easily pleased.

I want us to win the league too but in a manner befitting the club.  Goalkeepers making saves makes us look bad (IMO) and I think would work against us in the long run.  If the Keeper has to make a save, can we really claim the 3 points?  Yes, but we've degraded the club in doing so.

I don’t know if this is a wind up or not 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, El Toro said:

There’s too many people on here with their expectation levels set too high and you’re going to be forever unhappy following Wednesday. Not many relegated sides (in any division) are promoted straight away the following season and those that are are the ones like a Norwich and Rotherham that have a settled side and are well run and sustainable clubs.

Just remember how big our player turnover was at the end of last season and the start of this, probably bigger than anyone’s. Yes I wish DM would stop tinkering as much as he does with the starting line-ups but that’s my only real criticism of him right now. He’s started to be a little more attacking with his line-ups the past few games and it’s bearing fruit.

Having played at a good level myself the emphasis on getting over the line in games comes mainly from knowledge of the game by the players and the leadership on the pitch to take the game up that extra 5 yards and not sit back. There really isn’t a lot that a manager can do at that point of the game that a professional footballer shouldn’t already know.

We are about where I expected us to be in the league right now due to all the upheaval in the Summer and the relegation fallout. We’ve got players in and that’s good but let us not forget that these are loans and freebies so not necessarily the exact players DM would have wanted to succeed.

Changing the manager now makes no sense whatsoever.

Quote:Changing the manager now makes no sense whatsoever. Tell that to Man Utd.....you know the team we beat in the league Cup....so(please) dont tell me we arnt as big as them.....WE are,but we just need our ambitions to match our traditions and heritage..

.http://stats.football.co.uk/head_to_head/manchester_united/vs/sheffield_wednesday/index.shtml

Man Utd are a world brand,(we clearly are not that)as well as a football team,but they are as beatable as anyone else,as Watford have just shown....

DM seems to have had a conversion on the road to Damascus(like St Paul) on his tactics,and not before time & we have appeared much improved in recent times being more direct and creating more chances.

But why take so long to ditch the playing it out? how many points lost?.....

Big week coming up for DM & the Owls.....next two games could see us push on(and up!) or see our season ebb away.....

Should we change manager? dont know,maybe too late now anyway for anything but a play off push so,on balance maybe not....

Unless   We see a return to his preferred 'playing it out'  ineffective style and constant chopping & changing to suit mediocre opponents.

Thats my red line for change

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It has been pleasing to note that more shots have been taken and goals scored in the last month, but taking the season as a whole we have hardly been an attacking team that have provided good entertainment. Even fairly recent performances against Gillingham and Plymouth have been unimpressive. DM has earned himself longer at the helm but I am still far from convinced he is the man to take us up. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, parajack said:

Should we change manager? dont know, maybe too late now anyway for anything but a play off push 

If we win the next three matches we're back in the as we take points off two rivals. If we draw the next three matches we drop off even further. It's nowhere near time to write us off even a top two place, if we actually go for it rather than timidly turning up and worrying about the way the opposition play or if we persist in playing it out from the back.

23 minutes ago, parajack said:

Quote:Changing the manager now makes no sense whatsoever. Tell that to Man Utd.....you know the team we beat in the league Cup....so(please) dont tell me we arnt as big as them.....WE are,but we just need our ambitions to match our traditions and heritage..

.http://stats.football.co.uk/head_to_head/manchester_united/vs/sheffield_wednesday/index.shtml

Man Utd are a world brand,(we clearly are not that)as well as a football team,but they are as beatable as anyone else,as Watford have just shown....

DM seems to have had a conversion on the road to Damascus(like St Paul) on his tactics,and not before time & we have appeared much improved in recent times being more direct and creating more chances.

But why take so long to ditch the playing it out? how many points lost?.....

Big week coming up for DM & the Owls.....next two games could see us push on(and up!) or see our season ebb away.....

Should we change manager? dont know,maybe too late now anyway for anything but a play off push so,on balance maybe not....

Unless   We see a return to his preferred 'playing it out'  ineffective style and constant chopping & changing to suit mediocre opponents.

Thats my red line for change

Nothing wrong with playing it out

last season we walloped it long, resulting in us scoring about 8 goals all season and finishing bottom .

key of course is a mix.’

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, John Howard said:

Except for an outstanding save  at the death  we would have let a 3-0 lead slip to  a very  embarrassing   3-3 draw ....

Everyone would then have posted vitriolic messages re. bottlers, typical Wednesday etc .

Even with returning stars we still have not got things right and are only in a 'near play off position' due to the poor standard of the league .

Moore still not the man ....sorry ...likeable guy

Lets look at it a different way.

Imagine, if you will, that Accrington raced into a 2-0 lead in the first 20 minutes but we got a goal back before half time then scored a couple more in the second half to run out 2-3 winners. Assume that the match stats were unchanged. So basically it's the same result, same shots on goal etc, but the match unfolded in a completely different way.

What would people be saying? Some would complain (because they always do) but I think the reaction would have been pretty positive. So why the negativity? End of the day, we won.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Toro said:

the emphasis on getting over the line in games comes mainly from knowledge of the game by the players and the leadership on the pitch to take the game up that extra 5 yards and not sit back.

And that's exactly what Luongo was doing during the last 10 minutes...kept urging everyone to move up and afterwards he said that he didn't think we were going to concede and it felt comfortable 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I never understand the arguments of "we only won because the keeper made a few outstanding saves". Isn't that his job?

It's like saying "we only won to day because our striker scored a hat trick". If he hadn't we'd have lost 2-0

Edited by poite
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Beauchief Owl said:

If we win the next three matches we're back in the as we take points off two rivals. If we draw the next three matches we drop off even further. It's nowhere near time to write us off even a top two place, if we actually go for it rather than timidly turning up and worrying about the way the opposition play or if we persist in playing it out from the back.

Teams above us have games in hand too mate,have a look.....all depends i suppose if you think being in reach of a play off place is good enough with this squad,boils down to opinions....no half measures 

4 hours ago, John Howard said:

Moore still not the man ....sorry ...likeable guy

Hilarious post. Criticising Moore for a draw that didn't even happen.

We won the game, get over it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, poite said:

I never understand the arguments of "we only won because the keeper made a few outstanding saves". Isn't that his job?

It's like saying "we only won to day because our striker scored a hat trick". If he hadn't we'd have lost 2-0

That wasn't peoples meaning in my view(though they can speak for themselves) There were of course TWO teams on the park,so credit has to be given to AC for the come back into the game,but i think people were critiquing being 3-0 up,and not closing the game down.

Drawing games has been our issue and to be in danger(bar a wonder save) of drawing a game we were 3=-0 in front is the issue.

• Like 1

Just now, parajack said:

That wasn't peoples meaning in my view(though they can speak for themselves) There were of course TWO teams on the park,so credit has to be given to AC for the come back into the game,but i think people were critiquing being 3-0 up,and not closing the game down.

Drawing games has been our issue and to be in danger(bar a wonder save) of drawing a game we were 3=-0 in front is the issue.

Fair point. Get what you mean 👍🏻