Sheffield Wednesday vs Milton Keynes OMDT

Guest Whittonowl

Milton Keynes.  Home to one of the largest universities in Europe. Over 200,000 students. I recon that this allows them to use the nickname ‘Dons’.  
Wimbledon.  Home of the Wombles. 
Just an observation. 

I lived in Milton Keynes for a year (long time before the MK Dons move). Slightly odd place really. I remember going into the Tourist Info office in the shopping centre at Central Milton Keynes and asking where the town centre was; ‘this is it’ said the lady. Couldn’t compute it really. But driving around the centre was a piece of pîss, and the people were actually really nice. So good on them for getting themselves a club. Can’t blame them for it really. 

Tough fixture on paper. We don’t have the fast forwards for playing on the break so let’s go all out attack and the result goes as it goes. UTO! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bakewell Owl said:

yup we have Stoney Middleton, but just off the M40 is a village called Middleton Stoney, this OMDT could turn into a weird geography trivia thread😀

I was going to say that. It's just down t'road

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Of course And I don’t disagree. Not sure MK dons disagree either.  Hence the massive focus on younger fans ( under 12 free to get in ) for whom the history is as relevant as arsenal moving from woolwich is to us . 

Maybe it’s because I lived there for a bit, but I never really thought the move from Wimbledon to Milton Keynes was that big a deal. Milton Keynes needed a club and Wimbledon was struggling to survive where they were. Maybe it wasn’t perfect but as you say, to the younger supporters 2004 is ancient history. The only real question that matters is are the club trying to do things the right way now? And the answer seems to be yes. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Maybe it’s because I lived there for a bit, but I never really thought the move from Wimbledon to Milton Keynes was that big a deal. Milton Keynes needed a club and Wimbledon was struggling to survive where they were. Maybe it wasn’t perfect but as you say, to the younger supporters 2004 is ancient history. The only real question that matters is are the club trying to do things the right way now? And the answer seems to be yes. 

There were football teams in MK before the Dons move.  They could have moved up the pyramid like non-league Cheltenham had to.  

Wimbledon were struggling yes, where they were very much so, but in what way does a struggle make it acceptable that they are replaced by a new start-up who can't be arsed to earn the right to play in the professional leagues?

Everything about MK Dons is wrong. 

• Like 1

Just now, Manwë said:

There were football teams in MK before the Dons move.  They could have moved up the pyramid like non-league Cheltenham had to.  

Wimbledon were struggling yes, where they were very much so, but in what way does a struggle make it acceptable that they are replaced by a new start-up who can't be arsed to earn the right to play in the professional leagues?

Everything about MK Dons is wrong. 

But it happened and now it’s 17 years on. Maybe it was all wrong, but it just seems so irrelevant now and the club seems to be trying hard to be a community club focused on its young fans. 

I do have a bit of a personality disorder to be fair where I really struggle to get massively het up about stuff like this. It didn’t affect us or really massively harm anyone so I’m just happy enough to move on. Maybe I should be seething about the events of 2004 but as I said as a former citizen of MK I don’t see it as a terrible outcome.   

• Like 1

When it happened, it was wrong, but thankfully it has not created a precedent. 

If it were my club I would never forget and never forgive.

Nobody, or virtually nobody still at the club had anything to do with it. It has nothing to do with their fans.

The rest of just need to get over it FFS.

Edited by OxonOwl

I utterly despise MK Franchise. They were parachuted into the league on the back of another clubs misfortune. I have no problem with Milton Keynes having a football club, but they should have made their way up the pyramid like everyone else, like Harrogate, Barrow, Sutton, Accrington, Fleetwood, like the real Winbkedon, and earned their league status on merit instead of picking at the carcus of Wimbledon. 

Nothing but a vulture picking at the carcus of a dead animal. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I utterly despise MK Franchise. They were parachuted into the league on the back of another clubs misfortune. I have no problem with Milton Keynes having a football club, but they should have made their way up the pyramid like everyone else, like Harrogate, Barrow, Sutton, Accrington, Fleetwood, like the real Winbkedon, and earned their league status on merit instead of picking at the carcus of Wimbledon. 

Nothing but a vulture picking at the carcus of a dead animal. 

While I agree,  totally with you. They are just another little muggy lower league team like Wimbledon to me.