Good performance

25 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Relegation usually leads to a season of consolidation before a promotion push the following season. 

Only once since 1958 have we bounced back up after a drop. 

It's not just us, either: two thirds of relegated teams fail to win promotion back to the Championship at the first time of asking.

But, y'know - League One is crap, we should be runaway leaders, anyone other than Moore would have us promoted by Christmas, etc...etc...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's not just us, either: two thirds of relegated teams fail to win promotion back to the Championship at the first time of asking.

But, y'know - League One is crap, we should be runaway leaders, anyone other than Moore would have us promoted by Christmas, etc...etc...

This again 

Totally take on board the comments about how few teams go straight back up,  however when you look at the table and you think how we’ve played , and the ridiculous points dropped , and we’re still knocking on the door of the top 6 ?  

For me,  Darren Moore is underachieving with this squad , we can do much much better and a run of form will put us right in the mix 

Absolutely capable of competing for the top 2 if DM can get the best out of this squad, however it’s not a given, we’ve got to battle and earn it 

I genuinely believe we can get promotion

2 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Totally take on board the comments about how few teams go straight back up,  however when you look at the table and you think how we’ve played , and the ridiculous points dropped , and we’re still knocking on the door of the top 6 ?  

For me,  Darren Moore is underachieving with this squad , we can do much much better and a run of form will put us right in the mix 

Absolutely capable of competing for the top 2 if DM can get the best out of this squad, however it’s not a given, we’ve got to battle and earn it 

I genuinely believe we can get promotion

And we aren’t far off the play offs. Not even half way through the season.

Personally don’t think we’ll go up, but for those who are panicking we are in touching distance. All to play for. 

36 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Relegation usually leads to a season of consolidation before a promotion push the following season. 

Only once since 1958 have we bounced back up after a drop. 

This is right, but I still don’t understand why Wednesday fans are so happy to settle for it. It would be lovely if just for once we attacked a division on the front foot and won the league at a canter. We don’t have to settle for a season of consolidation just because it’s normal, and it’s fine for folk to think we could be doing better with what we have this time and right now.

That said, it’s a convo for another day. Any time you score 3 and bring 3 points back from an away game is a good result, and I agree with the poster earlier in the thread who said this will be a bigger win for this team than if we’d won 3-0. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

This is right, but I still don’t understand why Wednesday fans are so happy to settle for it. It would be lovely if just for once we attacked a division on the front foot and won the league at a canter. We don’t have to settle for a season of consolidation just because it’s normal, and it’s fine for folk to think we could be doing better with what we have this time and right now.

That said, it’s a convo for another day. Any time you score 3 and bring 3 points back from an away game is a good result, and I agree with the poster earlier in the thread who said this will be a bigger win for this team than if we’d won 3-0. 

Certainly true. And I agree. I'd like to see us up there are the top giving it the full gun, but it's no genuine surprise that we're not.

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Certainly true. And I agree. I'd like to see us up there are the top giving it the full gun, but it's no genuine surprise that we're not.

Its not a surprise no, given the way it usually goes for teams going for an immediate return to the champ from

this division 

I wouldn’t be prepared to use that as an excuse for DM though if he does fail,  this team I fully believe should be chasing for a top 2 finish 

1 hour ago, Salmonbones said:

Sally you are correct, if you are only giving an assessment of the first half.

We need some nouse in the club, quick time.

We need players drilled in how things work in this division.

We need players willing to commit to a full 100 minutes, because rarely 90 minutes is the clock.

We need some players willing to give their all, no matter what, because in this division, sweat and blood counts more than talent usually.

I'll not go as far as saying we need a motivator too, because that is blatantly obvious, and anyone who thinks Moore can motivate needs to see a shrink.   I won't debate that issue - it's a done deal, Moore cannot motivate.

Absolutely correct.  A wins a win but we havent put in a good performance over 90 minutes once this season.   Even in the pizza cup, Mansfield ran us close and despite the scoreline Harrogate did too!  (refuse to watch under 21's).  The Doncaster and Sunderland wins look good but even they weren't convincing.

we play well for 20-30 minutes, but we need to be far more consistent, ruthless and cunning.

I'd love to be wrong  but  we're not  commited enough. prove me wrong by winning the next two.

1 minute ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Absolutely correct.  A wins a win but we havent put in a good performance over 90 minutes once this season.   Even in the pizza cup, Mansfield ran us close and despite the scoreline Harrogate did too!  (refuse to watch under 21's).  The Doncaster and Sunderland wins look good but even they weren't convincing.

we play well for 20-30 minutes, but we need to be far more consistent, ruthless and cunning.

I'd love to be wrong  but  we're not  commited enough. prove me wrong by winning the next two.

Not too sure it’s a commitment issue,  game management is all over the place from DM at times 

they didn't they come out 2nd half to get more goals, instead thinking they have won and sitting back on it..Moore being pig headed against his critics probably didn't like it & reverted back to usual ways.. I don't read much into todays game with optimism unless play like 1st half consistently. 

7 minutes ago, S1Owl said:

they didn't they come out 2nd half to get more goals, instead thinking they have won and sitting back on it..Moore being pig headed against his critics probably didn't like it & reverted back to usual ways.. I don't read much into todays game with optimism unless play like 1st half consistently. 

I do think DM is a very stubborn manager,  Lacks a plan B if he needs to change it up 

Agreed,got to build on this now and cut out the defensive frailty's,especially at set pieces...How on earth could we expect to get through the play offs if we dont do that?

Good to get the three points but the draws have been costly.Three of the 4 teams sat above us in the play off positions,have games in hand.If they win them,we will still be some 6 points adrift of the play offs

We are difficult to beat

We’re improving

Football is more direct, aggressive and attacking

We’ve got big players injured and we’re still in touch. 

We’re doing pretty much as expected in my book.

The closest parallel (in terms of player turnover, pressure, wage bills, status) is Ipswich…and right now we are just edging them out - even though the had the advantage of being here before us

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, S1Owl said:

44 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

I do think DM is a very stubborn manager,  Lacks a plan B if he needs to change it up 

The tactics were fine…we just missed some great chances

They were always going to come at us like they did with the wind being how it was - but they didn’t create much 

Meanwhile Paterson, Gregory and to a lesser extent Dunkley all missed chances where you’d expect them to score 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

The tactics were fine…we just missed some great chances

They were always going to come at us like they did with the wind being how it was - but they didn’t create much 

Meanwhile Paterson, Gregory and to a lesser extent Dunkley all missed chances where you’d expect them to score 

the attitude seemed different 2nd half,should've  kept momentum up 

Edited by S1Owl
  • Like 2