Man of the match & Ratings - Accrington Stanley (A)

Man of the match  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the match

• Peacock-Farrell
    • Brennan
    • Palmer
    • Luongo
    • Dunkley
    • Dele-Bashiru
    • Hunt
    • Bannan
    • Paterson
    • Kamberi
    • Corbeanu
    • Brown
    • Gregory

Got up at 4 to watch this.  Enjoyed the first half, we miss a few too many sitters - story of our season.  Look a much better side with Luongo int middle.  Just gets on with it, kicks it onto tinroof when needed, times his tackles, little first time passes, rugged.  

Palmer had a blinder, this lad can play literally anywhere.  Lee Bullen was worshipped due to his commitment and desire to get stuck in anywhere the team needed him and wore his heart on his sleeve.  Palmer might not be as raucous but he's there every week 7/8 out of 10, owl through and through and on a cold horrible night in NW got up and down that left hand side, created 2 goals and put his head and foot in alongside Dunkley and Brennan all neet.

Dunkley was immense, Kamberi and Paterson were required due to physicality of opposition in both boxes but flatter to deceive.  Wildsmith wouldn't have got anywhere near that free kick so BPF gets a notable mention.

After throwing away 10 points in last 10 mins of games we're still touching cloth so all in all, better than being a blade.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

I'm going to mark them highly because that felt more like a 3-1 or a 4-1 than a 3-2 to me. Accrington only had 3 shots inside the box all game (two of them went in!) while we had 11. Despite throwing away 2 of a 3 goal lead (to be fair, Mumbongo's goal was excellent - even if the defending was a little slack), I think from 3-2 we saw it out reasonably comfortably in the end.

Peacock-Farrell: 8 - He couldn't do anything about either goal (the first was mis-kicked a little, but he's 8 yards out and put it right in the the corner). Two crucial saves though and excellent handling on a wet and windy day. Class.

Brennan: 8 - They got very little joy down the right-hand side all game. Read the game well, kept it simple. Could never have guessed it was his league debut.

Dunkley: 9 - He just loves this role where he can attack every aerial ball with the other two centre-backs mopping up behind him. Such a threat from set pieces as well and great strength to score the first goal.

Palmer: 7 - First half he was on for a 9 or a 10, composed defending and brilliant attacking. Two assists. But I thought Mumbongo completely dominated him for the first half an hour of the second half. Recovered his composure near the end.

Hunt: 7 - As mentioned, our right hand side was solid all game and he nearly opened the scoring at the start as well when Bannan found him with that raking pass. Gives us energy and balance.

Corbeanu: 8 - A brilliant first half. So quick, direct, and a wonderful strike for the goal. He's quality with those driving runs. My only note of caution is as a wing-back he sometimes doesn't do the defensive side - I think he and Palmer have to share the blame for the second goal, as he stood off and didn't give much support.

Luongo: 9 - I watched some of the game back. On first viewing I thought he played well, but on second viewing you see just how many vital interventions he makes, reading the game. Makes us so much more solid. Booked early on, and flew in to a couple of slide tackles, but won them cleanly and got away with a couple of other niggly fouls. Have to keep him fit now. If we do, one of the first names on the team sheet.

Dele-Bashiru: 7.5 - He's come on so much from last season. Driving forward, kept picking up the ball in good spaces. Our midfield today had a lovely balance.

Bannan: 8 - Some exquisite corners today, seemed to find Dunkley's head nearly every time. Assist for the first. Wonderful weighted pass to release Palmer for the third. Played Paterson through 1-on-1, and a fantastic reverse pass for Gregory late on. 

Paterson: 6 - It was his kind of game against a physical side, but lacked composure in front of goal and quite a few dodgy passes. Still, persistent and played his part.

Kamberi: 7.5 - I thought he'd scuffed the finish into the crowd for the third, was very surprised to see it nestle in the net. But was a lovely finish actually. Did his usual harrying and battling away. Could develop into one of the best all-round strikers in the league if he keeps playing like this.

Brown: 6 - Still drives me crackers (that easy header he misjudged in the 92nd minute). But good energy as usual so can't be too harsh.

Gregory: 7 - Excellent cameo - knows exactly where to be and what to do, almost found Paterson twice for what would have been tap-ins. If we can get Windass fit, then Gregory or Windass (whoever doesn't start) would be a great asset to bring on for the last half an hour and run at tired defenders who have been battling with Kamberi for the first hour.

Things are building. Ignoring the FA Cup blip, we've consistently outplayed the last 3 or 4 teams we've faced now. If we have a couple more Harrogate-style games where everything goes right I think we could batter some teams. We go again!

Agree with a lot of this but no way does Kamberi start in front of a fit Gregory and Windass! Not in a million years!

BPF 6.5

Palmer 7.5

Dunkley 7.5

Brennan 7

Corbeanu 7.5

Hunt 6.5

Luongo 7.5 mom

Fizzy 7

Bannan 7

Paterson 6.5

Kamberi 7

Gregory 6.5 

Brown 6

Good all round team performance I thought. Great to have Massi back, makes a massive difference to our midfield. Great day out in the rain. 

BPF - 7 crucial saves at critical times in difficult conditions 

Brennan - 7 looked composed and calm

Dunkley - 8 held everything together

Palmer - 6 great going forward, needs to do better with both goals

Hunt - 6 not his best game

Corbeanu - 7 much better for taking fewer touches

Bannan - 7 yet again never more than 2 or 3 passes from all our chances 

Luongo - 8 MOTM strong in the tackle, positive on the ball

FDB - 7 the most mature performance I’ve seen from him. 

Kamberi - 7 hassled and harried and a wonderful finish 

Paterson - 5 off day 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Got up at 4 to watch this.  Enjoyed the first half, we miss a few too many sitters - story of our season.  Look a much better side with Luongo int middle.  Just gets on with it, kicks it onto tinroof when needed, times his tackles, little first time passes, rugged.  

Palmer had a blinder, this lad can play literally anywhere.  Lee Bullen was worshipped due to his commitment and desire to get stuck in anywhere the team needed him and wore his heart on his sleeve.  Palmer might not be as raucous but he's there every week 7/8 out of 10, owl through and through and on a cold horrible night in NW got up and down that left hand side, created 2 goals and put his head and foot in alongside Dunkley and Brennan all neet.

Dunkley was immense, Kamberi and Paterson were required due to physicality of opposition in both boxes but flatter to deceive.  Wildsmith wouldn't have got anywhere near that free kick so BPF gets a notable mention.

After throwing away 10 points in last 10 mins of games we're still touching cloth so all in all, better than being a blade.

If you think Palmer put his head and foot in where needed - watch the first goal

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

If you think Palmer put his head and foot in where needed - watch the first goal

I don’t think Palmer covered himself in glory with the second goal either.

In an attacking sense, he had a great game yesterday, but defensively he was hit and miss. His heading is a weak point, but usually he can do enough if there’s the likes of Dunkley or Iorfa to take the lead. But when the wind is up and in his face, like second half yesterday, he misjudges the flight and gets underneath the ball. The ball sailed over him to the forwards a few times yesterday, but they only took advantage the once.

For me MotM was Luongo. He allowed Bannan and Dele to get forward and create and he did a lot to protect the back three. All too often we fail to pick up the second ball. We did better yesterday, mainly due to Luongo’s presence.

Gave it to Corbeanu.

Recognized early that he is twice as quick as Hamilton who was supposed to mark him and runned him ragged and tied in knots from starting whistle.

It is beyond me to understand why he didn't get more on the ball more as if he did we would have scored more and kept Accrington on their back foot longer.

It is amazing how Moore refused to start player of this quality for so long...

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good job we scored so many in that opening 35 minutes. We looked brilliant but couldn't keep it going. Should have scored more though. Still fragile at set-pieces. Defenders generally did well against their giants but BPF could have helped them more.

Peacock Farrell - 7 2 great saves proved important. Wish he'd claim more of those corners though

Brennan - 7 did fine, strange he wasn't trusted with the ball more

Dunkley - 8 immense again. Can't believe we were so doubtful about him 5 weeks ago - since then he's been amazing game after game

Palmer - 8 another great game (one of his best?), battled well in defence against some brutes and got forward with purpose. Involved in two of our goals 

Hunt - 6 not much of a contribution (again) 

Dele Bashiru- 7 battled hard, great strength, rarely loses possession

Luongo - 7 probably tired 2nd half but did enough to be a welcome asset to have back

Bannan - 7 did some great stuff but lost possession a few times late on. Fantastic pressing early on made a huge difference to our play but he couldn't maintain it (not surprisingly)

Corbeanu - 7 goes quiet for spells but is magic on the ball, great goal, great crosses

Kamberi - 7 great finish, looked a lot better in possession today and worked hard as always

Paterson - 5 fluffed 3 one on ones with the keeper and shot wide and failed to get on the end of Gregory's cross. If he scores one of those we cruise that match. Should have been subbed instead of Kamberi

Subs

Brown - 5 being able to run fast up and down a pitch doesn't make anyone a footballer

Gregory - 6 only on a short time but a lot more useful than Paterson 

16 hours ago, malek said:

Gave it to Corbeanu.

Recognized early that he is twice as quick as Hamilton who was supposed to mark him and runned him ragged and tied in knots from starting whistle.

It is beyond me to understand why he didn't get more on the ball more as if he did we would have scored more and kept Accrington on their back foot longer.

He was struggling with the after effects of an illness and needed building back up to match fitness.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Owlabroad2001 said:

Agree with a lot of this but no way does Kamberi start in front of a fit Gregory and Windass! Not in a million years!

Despite scoring more often than either of them?

And despite being better in the air for defensive set-pieces, which given that we only have Dunkley would leave us desperately short of headers.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

And despite being better in the air for defensive set-pieces, which given that we only have Dunkley would leave us desperately short of headers.

Oops - forgot Paterson. But he might be a bench-warmer with Gregory and Windass back.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Erm Gregory has scored more than Kamberi and it’s not fair to compare to Windass who has been playing in a higher league. Kamberi struggles to even control a ball most of the time!

Your second point about headers is a fair one. If worried play Paterson instead of Hunt at wing back. Not much difference between them in that position to be honest.

1 hour ago, Owlabroad2001 said:

Erm Gregory has scored more than Kamberi and it’s not fair to compare to Windass who has been playing in a higher league. Kamberi struggles to even control a ball most of the time!

Your second point about headers is a fair one. If worried play Paterson instead of Hunt at wing back. Not much difference between them in that position to be honest.

Kamberi has better minutes per goal.

Peacock Farrell - 7 Superb save from the free kick at a vital time. It may have been going wide...but he didn't know that and did brilliantly to get to it.

Brennan - 8  Didn't let anyone down and can be proud of his performance. 

Dunkley - 9 When he's allowed to focus on what he's good at he's just what we need at the heart of the defence. Also a huge threat in the opposition box.

Palmer - 8 A surprising performance. Many right footers struggle in that left hand centre back birth. Palmer actually seemed to relish it. 

Hunt - 6 I do wonder if he should have scored that very early chance or whether I'm being too harsh. Got forward well but delivery could have been better. 

Dele Bashiru- 7 Like him more and more the more I see of him. Growing into the side.  Excellent use of the shoulders all day. 

Luongo - 8  On another day I might have given him man of the match. A calm and assured presence. 

Bannan - 8 I think he's had a really good month full stop to be honest. Some super crossfield pings. 

Corbeanu - 7.5 Always a threat even when he's not doing anything! Also won a couple of tackles which isn't his natural game 

Kamberi - 7 Enigma. Works hard. Sometimes looks lost. Always comes alive in the 18 yard area though. Top class finish on the volley.

Paterson - 6 A poor game in all honesty. But bought time, slowed the game down with some gamesmanship. Got his head to a few of their corners when we were under the Cosh circa 70 odd mins. Also thought he had an excellent penalty claim which so far I haven't seen anyone mention.

Subs

Brown - 6 Couple of driving runs eating up the pitch and taking pressure off the back line. For the sake of a foot would have had an assist.

Gregory - 6 Only been out a week but I though looked heavy in the touch. I'm sure that will soon come back. Never easy off the bench. 

• Like 1

On 21/11/2021 at 14:08, malek said:

Gave it to Corbeanu.

I think played a blinder 

got him so motivated and strong then unleashed him with a point to prove once he had raised his all round ..

its impossible to know if he would be playing this well anyway.i suspect not

On 21/11/2021 at 14:08, malek said:

Gave it to Corbeanu.

9 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He was struggling with the after effects of an illness and needed building back up to match fitness.

He had tonsilitis for a week in the middle of August.

By the 17th August he was fit, raring to go and in the squad for the next match. 

He's a young fit lad, doesn't take 3 months to get over it.