Man of the match & Ratings - Accrington Stanley (A)

Man of the match  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the match

• Peacock-Farrell
    • Brennan
    • Palmer
    • Luongo
    • Dunkley
    • Dele-Bashiru
    • Hunt
    • Bannan
    • Paterson
    • Kamberi
    • Corbeanu
    • Brown
    • Gregory

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

image.png.91298a08a4ad6d27ca5fea1799f538f0.png

Dunkley for me. Really beginning to make his mark in the team with another confident performance topped off with a goal.

After a difficult week with the bad defeat in the cup, rumours of DC being in town to sack Moore and non payment of wages, players out with injuries and the constant barrage of negative comments about the club, our team won to still keep us in a handy position in the top eight. Two home games next against teams above us that will show if we have turned the corner and can push on

Well done today, although a bit nail biting at the end

WAWAW

• Like 1

Guest Derby owl
3 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Corbeanu for me. Lad is way to good for us and this crap league. Paterson was awful today. Should have gone off. 

Totally agree!

Can't  understand why Paterson wasn't subbed instead of the kamberi?

Brilliant first half but poor in the second 

BPF 7 one brilliant save. Should he save the first?

Hunt 6 got forward well but didn’t do much

Brennan 7 solid. Decent performance 

Dunkley 8 he’s a man mountain. What a leader. poo with the ball at his feet but who cares!

Palmer 8 excellent going forward. 2 assists from cb. Awful defending for their goal though.

Corbeanu 7 I love him. Has to start in every game for me. Great goal

Luongo 7 god we’ve missed him

Bannan 6 another assist but missed a sitter. A bit off it today

Dele-Bashiru 6 poor for most of the game but excellent in last 15 mins. Thought he should have had a penalty at the end

Paterson 5 worked half but awful in front of goal. So dumb to pass to Flo for the disallowed goal

Kamberi 6 I really don’t rate the boy. However he seems to have a knack of being in the right place at the right time. Will be an asset for the rest of the season 

Gregory 6 busy. Should have scored 

Brown 5 he’s awful defensively. That header at the end was pathetic. We need a left back in January 

Moore 7 got the tactics spot on in the first half. Too deep in the second. Should have left Theo on even if it meant moving him up front. We lacked pace in the second half.

Should have won comfortably. A bit annoyed we didn’t 

Edited by Owlabroad2001
  • Like 1

Dunkley was my MOM, won headers, tackles, was a threat in their box, scored, threw his body in the way of crosses, kept his co defenders on their toes the whole game.

Palmer used the ball well and had a very steady game, but blotted his copy book by standing and admiring the bloke infront score the 2nd goal.

Nice to Massimo back, wonder how long hel last this time, hopefully rest of the season as he makes a HUGE difference to us.

6 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Corbeanu - 8 too good for this league, need to get him on ball more 

5 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Corbeanu for me. Lad is way to good for us and this crap league.

6 hours ago, CalmJimmers said:

Corbeanu - 9 - MoM. Constantly caused issues, a great goal. So fast and has great feet. Too good for L1

A selection of comments about Corbeanu, saying he's too good for this league.

It begs the question, why was he overlooked for the first 15 games of the season?

2 goals in 3 starts and always a threat.

Play to our attacking strengths and we will score goals.

bailey 7.5. some great Dave's didn't do anything silly.

Brennan  7.5 tidy ,stepped up ,distribution good. suits this centre back/left back  hybrid role . 

dunkley 9 dominant . leader .brilliant again .

Palmer .8

noticed a couple of times he should of gone for a 50/50 and wimped out.and a bit lost on corners  but got 2 assists, and mucked in manfully to get us the win . beautifully weighted pass for theos goal.class.

corbeanu . 8 clinical finish . totally won over . runs with power and agression from deeper . quieter as game went on.

hunt 7.5

has come back in ans looked bright .offers more natural width than Paterson at wing back ..

loungo 8 

so calm,reads the game well and compliments bannan and fizz. lovely balance .glad he's back.

bannan 7 for him an off day but still created chance after chance ..should of scored .

fizz 7.5 bit quiet at times  but did the hard yards .a real athlete those  passing and game awareness has improved no end . really enjoy watching his development,a gem.

kamberi . 8 really working hard for the team and now scoring goals (4 in seven )

has transformed since he came back 

Paterson 6. should of scored ,didn't come off for him today . 

like him more a wing back  now Gregory is fit .

subs 

Gregory 7 lovely to see him back . as always clever  hold up play  .

brown .6.5  did a job .better from him than previous outings. a good athlete and did a job for the team as we got the three points .

Darren moore ..7.5

loved the innovation of our formation . it's attacking and brave to come up with something unorthodox knowing the stick he would get if it didn't work out ..glad he stuck Brennan in. glad we are mixing up our play more .

let's kick on now ..

BPF- 6 made one very good stop but could have done better for the 1st goal

Brennan -7 kept it simple didnt do much wrong looks comfortable in possession some good interceptions but will have to step it up a gear

Dunkley- 8 MOM had a strong game again

Palmer - 7 two assists two glaring errors that lead to goals, just stood and watched two players score, played some nice through balls from deep and had 2 assists

Hunt -7 pressed well up in the 1st half, kept it tight used the ball well, but sank deep in the 2nd period, as did the whole backline

Dele Bashiru- 7 kept possession under pressure, can pick a pass, looks a player of good potential

Luongo - 7 worked very hard closing down, winning vital tackles real workhorse with great vision for a pass

Bannan -  7 played a little more up, was double marked at times, but still worked space to use his creativity

Corbeanu -7 great 1st half,nice goal, vanished in the 2nd and rightly taken off

Kamberi - 7 starting to look a threat now, more he plays more hes building confidence, peach of a goal

Paterson-6 loads of effort but seemed to struggle with the physicality of the big accy lads, spent a lot of time rolling around the turf & complaining, his 1st touch lets him down too often

6 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Peacock-Farrell - 7 - Not sure he could've done better for either goal, although the 1st goal really didn't seem to have much power to it. Made a World-Class save at 3-2 to deny Pell from a free kick.

Brennan - 7 - A mature, confident and comfortable debut, against a highly physical, direct Accrington side that ask questions of centre halves. Can be very happy with his performance.

Dunkley - 9 - Man of the Match - Just edges it over Palmer, because apart from the loose ball in the 1st minute that let Stanley in, he didn't put a foot wrong. We are SOLELY reliant on him as an aerial competitor and he relishes the responsibility. He's been bar far our best player since switching to a back three. A real leader of men. Great to see him finally getting a goal after winning so many offensive duals from corners recently also.

Palmer - 8 - Probably his best performance in the Wednesday for me. Looked full of confidence. Two assists...one of which was a brilliant ball for Corbeanu. A real attacking threat. It was a top performance, and would've been MotM-worthy, had it not been for Dunkley's dominance, and also a lapse in allowing Mumbongo to turn far too easily for Accrington's 2nd goal.

Hunt - 7 - A really positive return to the side. He played very high, which allowed us to press their wing backs into a back 5, and allowed us to dominate the football in dangerous areas. A number of good combinations with Dele-Bashiru and Kamberi and a couple of really dangerous balls into the box.

Corbeanu - 7 - Took his goal brilliantly, and was full of confidence looking to run at Accrington at every opportunity. He's a top player, who'll play at a very high level if he finds consistency to his game. I feel like we've yet to see anywhere near his full potential...and thats after a bright start. Good to see we managed to rest him for half an hour today, as he's going to be a key player in the coming weeks.

Luongo - 8 - My GOD we have missed him. Sat in front, won tackles, organised in front of him, allowed Bannan & Dele-Bashiru the freedom to get forward. He does such a good job at just effectively performing the basics.

Dele-Bashiru - 7 - I love this kid. Another player who I think has genuine potential. Against probably the biggest side I've ever seen us play, he just shook players off at will and bullied them. For a 20 year old, his physicality is something else. 

Bannan - 8 - Played noticeably higher, and it benefits us and him, when we press high. He gets the ball in dangerous positions, often with defences out of shape...it's easy pickings for him at times. Much better corner consistency, assist for Dunkey's opener, and should've had a couple more assists really. 

Paterson - 7 - I know his end product was lacking today...he could've easily been walking away with the match ball if his decision making, composure and finishing were up to scratch, but his all round play was very good. He stretched the play, allowed the spaces for Bannan & Dele-Bashiru to play in, and I thought he played really effectively as a pair with both Kamberi and Gregory.

Kamberi - 7 - A solid centre forward performance...took his goal superbly...Salah-esque with his delicate touch over the keeper. Full credit to him, after a difficult start, he seems to have worked out whats required at this level. Physically he seems to be much more prepared and battle-hardened. 

Brown - 6 - Couple of moments of frustration, and a few moment of promise. Did his job when he came on. 

Gregory - 7 - Looked a threat, probably should've scored, and like Brown, came on and did his job. 

Overall...

I know the fact we nearly chucked a 3-0 lead away will be prominent in the thoughts of many. And yes, of course it's a concern. But I don't think that tells the story today.

Accrington's goals today were low % opportunities...probably equating less than .10xG as an estimate....on most other days, they don't go in. Ourselves on the hand, created an abundance of high quality chances, and squandered the majority of them. All three of our goals were probably amongst our lower % opportunities...but Paterson x2 , Brown, Gregory, & Bannan had glorious opportunities they either missed or chose the wrong option.

Despite scoring three, I think we should be disappointed with the amount of goals we've scored today...and that's testament to the quality of our overall play. And conversely, despite conceding twice, I think we can be pleased with how we defended. When you've only got one player genuinely capable of winning aerial duals, you're going to be vulnerable from set pieces and balls into the box. But, on the whole, I thought we dealt with Accrington's direct threat well.

The fact is, if we play with the sort of intensity, in and out of possession, most teams in this league will not be able to live with us. We have to take that first 30 half an hour as a real blueprint moving forward. 

Could not agree more.  Why the ’FarleysRusks’ and we not more ruthless in front of goal?

I'm going to mark them highly because that felt more like a 3-1 or a 4-1 than a 3-2 to me. Accrington only had 3 shots inside the box all game (two of them went in!) while we had 11. Despite throwing away 2 of a 3 goal lead (to be fair, Mumbongo's goal was excellent - even if the defending was a little slack), I think from 3-2 we saw it out reasonably comfortably in the end.

Peacock-Farrell: 8 - He couldn't do anything about either goal (the first was mis-kicked a little, but he's 8 yards out and put it right in the the corner). Two crucial saves though and excellent handling on a wet and windy day. Class.

Brennan: 8 - They got very little joy down the right-hand side all game. Read the game well, kept it simple. Could never have guessed it was his league debut.

Dunkley: 9 - He just loves this role where he can attack every aerial ball with the other two centre-backs mopping up behind him. Such a threat from set pieces as well and great strength to score the first goal.

Palmer: 7 - First half he was on for a 9 or a 10, composed defending and brilliant attacking. Two assists. But I thought Mumbongo completely dominated him for the first half an hour of the second half. Recovered his composure near the end.

Hunt: 7 - As mentioned, our right hand side was solid all game and he nearly opened the scoring at the start as well when Bannan found him with that raking pass. Gives us energy and balance.

Corbeanu: 8 - A brilliant first half. So quick, direct, and a wonderful strike for the goal. He's quality with those driving runs. My only note of caution is as a wing-back he sometimes doesn't do the defensive side - I think he and Palmer have to share the blame for the second goal, as he stood off and didn't give much support.

Luongo: 9 - I watched some of the game back. On first viewing I thought he played well, but on second viewing you see just how many vital interventions he makes, reading the game. Makes us so much more solid. Booked early on, and flew in to a couple of slide tackles, but won them cleanly and got away with a couple of other niggly fouls. Have to keep him fit now. If we do, one of the first names on the team sheet.

Dele-Bashiru: 7.5 - He's come on so much from last season. Driving forward, kept picking up the ball in good spaces. Our midfield today had a lovely balance.

Bannan: 8 - Some exquisite corners today, seemed to find Dunkley's head nearly every time. Assist for the first. Wonderful weighted pass to release Palmer for the third. Played Paterson through 1-on-1, and a fantastic reverse pass for Gregory late on. 

Paterson: 6 - It was his kind of game against a physical side, but lacked composure in front of goal and quite a few dodgy passes. Still, persistent and played his part.

Kamberi: 7.5 - I thought he'd scuffed the finish into the crowd for the third, was very surprised to see it nestle in the net. But was a lovely finish actually. Did his usual harrying and battling away. Could develop into one of the best all-round strikers in the league if he keeps playing like this.

Brown: 6 - Still drives me crackers (that easy header he misjudged in the 92nd minute). But good energy as usual so can't be too harsh.

Gregory: 7 - Excellent cameo - knows exactly where to be and what to do, almost found Paterson twice for what would have been tap-ins. If we can get Windass fit, then Gregory or Windass (whoever doesn't start) would be a great asset to bring on for the last half an hour and run at tired defenders who have been battling with Kamberi for the first hour.

Things are building. Ignoring the FA Cup blip, we've consistently outplayed the last 3 or 4 teams we've faced now. If we have a couple more Harrogate-style games where everything goes right I think we could batter some teams. We go again!

• Like 1

23 sets of ratings in so far. Here are the average scores:

Peacock Farell - 6.8

Brennan - 6.9

Dunkley - 8.0

Palmer - 7.4

Hunt - 6.3

Dele Bashiru - 6.7

Luongo - 7.2

Bannan - 6.8

Corbeanu - 7.4

Kamberi - 6.9

Paterson - 5.5

Gregory - 6.4

Brown - 5.7

I'll tally up the final scores at the end of Sunday.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

A selection of comments about Corbeanu, saying he's too good for this league.

It begs the question, why was he overlooked for the first 15 games of the season?

2 goals in 3 starts and always a threat.

Play to our attacking strengths and we will score goals.

He wasn't overlooked; he was suffering with the after-effects on an illness and needed building back up and coaching to get to the level we're now seeing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ash77 said:

Bpf 7

Hunt 5 offers nothing on right flank which was very poor, would try shodipo rwb

Brennan 7 who'd have thought a good cb prospect would do better than the non cb's, at cb!

Dunkley 8* his strength and leadership was crucial, thought he was fouled for their 1st

Palmer 7 weak for their 2nd, 8 otherwise as think he got 2 assists

Theo 8 tired badly but stand out player 1st half

Db 6 ok but can go missing at times

Luongo 7 2 leagues above wing, why risk him for that long again on a yellow tho, daft thinking again but got away with it this time

Bannan 6 bad miss but assist

Pato 5 got in good positions where gregory couldnt find him, but bad miss 1st half and tired

Kamberi 7 tidy finish, tired

Gregory 4 wasteful

Brown 3 awful

Ref 2 shameful

Won 1st half 3-1, at 3-0 looked like promotion contenders then we stopped playing.

Lost 2nd half and were struggling under pressure, needed windass on for a counter threat as no pace upfront (as usual) so they pushed up.

Think thats the key reason we invite pressure and often surrender leads or conceed late, teams work out we have no threat in behind so they push up, NO PACE UPFRONT, but hung on vs accrington, just

Luongo 72 leagues above Wing - agree!