Man of the match & Ratings - Accrington Stanley (A)

Man of the match  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the match

• Peacock-Farrell
    • Brennan
    • Palmer
    • Luongo
    • Dunkley
    • Dele-Bashiru
    • Hunt
    • Bannan
    • Paterson
    • Kamberi
    • Corbeanu
    • Brown
    • Gregory

BPF,  6, one good save, kicking was wayward. Seemed to have a strop on with Dunkley at some point about where he wanted him to stand when he was taking a goalkick. WTF was that about.

Brennan, 7, didn't seem out of place at all, certainly better than Paterson was last game.

Dunkley, 8, MOM, man mountain, won everything and got a goal.

Palmer, 8, had a great game and got forward.

Hunt, 6, Looked like he needed a game.

FDB, 7, the lads a beast but he drifted in and out of the game.

Luongo, 7, I'd like to give him 10 just for finishing the 90 minutes but realistically a 7.

Bannan, 7, decent effort but don't think the small pitch suited him. He looked like a midget compared to their players. More so than he normally does.

Patterson, 6, he huffed and he puffed but couldn't put the ball in the net.

Corbeanu, 7, great goal, looked a threat first half but drifted out of the game,  thinks defence is the thing round degarden.

Kamberi, 7, he scored which is his job, put himself about. He just doesn't look to be a prolific scorer. A workhorse who grafts so others can score is how he strikes me.

Gregory, 6 ,looked a yard off the pace but makes clever little runs. Will benefit from the run out.

Brown, 5, one good run and a shot. Rumoured to be a defender but I think someone's having me on.

Overall a great first half, why did we get drawn into a battle in the second half, 3 up we should have played possession football and let them chase all over the pitch. Glad to see we resorted to time wasting at the end. It helped.

BPF 6.5 - some good saves, especially the one from the free kick

Brennan 7 - looked comfortable defensively and with the ball, good to see young lads take their opportunities

Dunkley 8 - absolute monster at the back today and scored a header against their team of giants. MOTM

Palmer 7.5 - did well offensively creating two goals

Hunt 6.5 - solid enough, if unspectacular 

FDB 7 - looking like a first team player now, hopefully there’s more to come

Bannan 7 - quiet game for him but still did some nice work in the final third

Luongo 7.5 - we’ve really missed his tenacity and intelligence, very good performance today

Corbeanu 7.5 - brilliant goal and terrorised their defence, unlucky to be subbed… he’s gonna be a star, such an exciting player 

Paterson 6 - worked hard for the team as always but his finishing today was appalling

Kamberi 7.5 - lovely goal, generally looked sharp

Brown 6.5 - switched off a couple of times when he could’ve made something happen going forward

Gregory 6.5 - should’ve scored, I’ve mentioned it before but he has a bad habit of not shooting quickly enough 

Bpf 7

Hunt 5 offers nothing on right flank which was very poor, would try shodipo rwb

Brennan 7 who'd have thought a good cb prospect would do better than the non cb's, at cb!

Dunkley 8* his strength and leadership was crucial, thought he was fouled for their 1st

Palmer 7 weak for their 2nd, 8 otherwise as think he got 2 assists

Theo 8 tired badly but stand out player 1st half

Db 6 ok but can go missing at times

Luongo 7 2 leagues above wing, why risk him for that long again on a yellow tho, daft thinking again but got away with it this time

Bannan 6 bad miss but assist

Pato 5 got in good positions where gregory couldnt find him, but bad miss 1st half and tired

Kamberi 7 tidy finish, tired

Gregory 4 wasteful

Brown 3 awful

Ref 2 shameful

Won 1st half 3-1, at 3-0 looked like promotion contenders then we stopped playing.

Lost 2nd half and were struggling under pressure, needed windass on for a counter threat as no pace upfront (as usual) so they pushed up.

Think thats the key reason we invite pressure and often surrender leads or conceed late, teams work out we have no threat in behind so they push up, NO PACE UPFRONT, but hung on vs accrington, just

Peackock Farell - 7

Brennan - 7

Dunkley - 8  BUMS OFF SEATS FOR A NICE HEADED GOAL

Palmer - 7

Hunt - 6

Dele Bashiru- 6

Luongo - 7

Bannan - 6

Corbeanu - 8  MOTM PERFORMER FIRST HALF

Kamberi - 6

Paterson - 5

Shame it could have easily been eights and Nines across the board after getting off to a flier.

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

24 minutes ago, prowl said:

Kamberi, 7, he scored which is his job, put himself about. He just doesn't look to be a prolific scorer. A workhorse who grafts so others can score is how he strikes me.

It's an odd one. I know what you mean.

Yet he has 4 goals in 7 starts. 

Peackock Farell - 7

Brennan - 7

Dunkley -  6 out muscled for their first goal. Gives the ball away toooften. 

Palmer - 7 - looks good carrying out of defence 

Hunt - 6

Dele Bashiru- 6

Luongo - 6

Bannan - 6

Corbeanu - 8

Kamberi - 7

Paterson - 4 Poor. Missed sitters and feigning injuries. 

Moore - 4 Bizarre subs again 

• Haha 1

Peackock Farell - 6.5. -great save from free kick near the end

Brennan - 7 - steady and composed on ball - hope he keeps place to develop with us

Dunkley - 8 - won most everything in air 

Palmer - 5.  Yep two assists but Rated on his poor defending - ******** poor with their 2nd and their 1st he didn’t put body online

Hunt - 6 - steady game passed him by a bit

Dele Bashiru- 6.5 Steady and great hold up play to win free kick at the death 

Luongo - 7  A warrior sorely missed this season - tired alot 2nd half - please stay fit 

Bannan - 6. Was okay with the ball poor without 

Corbeanu - 7. Wrongly substituted 

Kamberi - 7.  Looks dangerous and knows how to finish - wrongly substituted

Paterson - 4. Could have cost us the game with his missed chances. So slow to react.  Should av been subbed instead of Kamberi.

• Like 1

Peacock-Farrell - 7 - Not sure he could've done better for either goal, although the 1st goal really didn't seem to have much power to it. Made a World-Class save at 3-2 to deny Pell from a free kick.

Brennan - 7 - A mature, confident and comfortable debut, against a highly physical, direct Accrington side that ask questions of centre halves. Can be very happy with his performance.

Dunkley - 9 - Man of the Match - Just edges it over Palmer, because apart from the loose ball in the 1st minute that let Stanley in, he didn't put a foot wrong. We are SOLELY reliant on him as an aerial competitor and he relishes the responsibility. He's been bar far our best player since switching to a back three. A real leader of men. Great to see him finally getting a goal after winning so many offensive duals from corners recently also.

Palmer - 8 - Probably his best performance in the Wednesday for me. Looked full of confidence. Two assists...one of which was a brilliant ball for Corbeanu. A real attacking threat. It was a top performance, and would've been MotM-worthy, had it not been for Dunkley's dominance, and also a lapse in allowing Mumbongo to turn far too easily for Accrington's 2nd goal.

Hunt - 7 - A really positive return to the side. He played very high, which allowed us to press their wing backs into a back 5, and allowed us to dominate the football in dangerous areas. A number of good combinations with Dele-Bashiru and Kamberi and a couple of really dangerous balls into the box.

Corbeanu - 7 - Took his goal brilliantly, and was full of confidence looking to run at Accrington at every opportunity. He's a top player, who'll play at a very high level if he finds consistency to his game. I feel like we've yet to see anywhere near his full potential...and thats after a bright start. Good to see we managed to rest him for half an hour today, as he's going to be a key player in the coming weeks.

Luongo - 8 - My GOD we have missed him. Sat in front, won tackles, organised in front of him, allowed Bannan & Dele-Bashiru the freedom to get forward. He does such a good job at just effectively performing the basics.

Dele-Bashiru - 7 - I love this kid. Another player who I think has genuine potential. Against probably the biggest side I've ever seen us play, he just shook players off at will and bullied them. For a 20 year old, his physicality is something else. 

Bannan - 8 - Played noticeably higher, and it benefits us and him, when we press high. He gets the ball in dangerous positions, often with defences out of shape...it's easy pickings for him at times. Much better corner consistency, assist for Dunkey's opener, and should've had a couple more assists really. 

Paterson - 7 - I know his end product was lacking today...he could've easily been walking away with the match ball if his decision making, composure and finishing were up to scratch, but his all round play was very good. He stretched the play, allowed the spaces for Bannan & Dele-Bashiru to play in, and I thought he played really effectively as a pair with both Kamberi and Gregory.

Kamberi - 7 - A solid centre forward performance...took his goal superbly...Salah-esque with his delicate touch over the keeper. Full credit to him, after a difficult start, he seems to have worked out whats required at this level. Physically he seems to be much more prepared and battle-hardened. 

Brown - 6 - Couple of moments of frustration, and a few moment of promise. Did his job when he came on. 

Gregory - 7 - Looked a threat, probably should've scored, and like Brown, came on and did his job. 

Overall...

I know the fact we nearly chucked a 3-0 lead away will be prominent in the thoughts of many. And yes, of course it's a concern. But I don't think that tells the story today.

Accrington's goals today were low % opportunities...probably equating less than .10xG as an estimate....on most other days, they don't go in. Ourselves on the hand, created an abundance of high quality chances, and squandered the majority of them. All three of our goals were probably amongst our lower % opportunities...but Paterson x2 , Brown, Gregory, & Bannan had glorious opportunities they either missed or chose the wrong option.

Despite scoring three, I think we should be disappointed with the amount of goals we've scored today...and that's testament to the quality of our overall play. And conversely, despite conceding twice, I think we can be pleased with how we defended. When you've only got one player genuinely capable of winning aerial duals, you're going to be vulnerable from set pieces and balls into the box. But, on the whole, I thought we dealt with Accrington's direct threat well.

The fact is, if we play with the sort of intensity, in and out of possession, most teams in this league will not be able to live with us. We have to take that first 30 half an hour as a real blueprint moving forward. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Peacock-Farrell - 7 - Not sure he could've done better for either goal, although the 1st goal really didn't seem to have much power to it. Made a World-Class save at 3-2 to deny Pell from a free kick.

Brennan - 7 - A mature, confident and comfortable debut, against a highly physical, direct Accrington side that ask questions of centre halves. Can be very happy with his performance.

Dunkley - 9 - Man of the Match - Just edges it over Palmer, because apart from the loose ball in the 1st minute that let Stanley in, he didn't put a foot wrong. We are SOLELY reliant on him as an aerial competitor and he relishes the responsibility. He's been bar far our best player since switching to a back three. A real leader of men. Great to see him finally getting a goal after winning so many offensive duals from corners recently also.

Palmer - 8 - Probably his best performance in the Wednesday for me. Looked full of confidence. Two assists...one of which was a brilliant ball for Corbeanu. A real attacking threat. It was a top performance, and would've been MotM-worthy, had it not been for Dunkley's dominance, and also a lapse in allowing Mumbongo to turn far too easily for Accrington's 2nd goal.

Hunt - 7 - A really positive return to the side. He played very high, which allowed us to press their wing backs into a back 5, and allowed us to dominate the football in dangerous areas. A number of good combinations with Dele-Bashiru and Kamberi and a couple of really dangerous balls into the box.

Corbeanu - 7 - Took his goal brilliantly, and was full of confidence looking to run at Accrington at every opportunity. He's a top player, who'll play at a very high level if he finds consistency to his game. I feel like we've yet to see anywhere near his full potential...and thats after a bright start. Good to see we managed to rest him for half an hour today, as he's going to be a key player in the coming weeks.

Luongo - 8 - My GOD we have missed him. Sat in front, won tackles, organised in front of him, allowed Bannan & Dele-Bashiru the freedom to get forward. He does such a good job at just effectively performing the basics.

Dele-Bashiru - 7 - I love this kid. Another player who I think has genuine potential. Against probably the biggest side I've ever seen us play, he just shook players off at will and bullied them. For a 20 year old, his physicality is something else. 

Bannan - 8 - Played noticeably higher, and it benefits us and him, when we press high. He gets the ball in dangerous positions, often with defences out of shape...it's easy pickings for him at times. Much better corner consistency, assist for Dunkey's opener, and should've had a couple more assists really. 

Paterson - 7 - I know his end product was lacking today...he could've easily been walking away with the match ball if his decision making, composure and finishing were up to scratch, but his all round play was very good. He stretched the play, allowed the spaces for Bannan & Dele-Bashiru to play in, and I thought he played really effectively as a pair with both Kamberi and Gregory.

Kamberi - 7 - A solid centre forward performance...took his goal superbly...Salah-esque with his delicate touch over the keeper. Full credit to him, after a difficult start, he seems to have worked out whats required at this level. Physically he seems to be much more prepared and battle-hardened. 

Brown - 6 - Couple of moments of frustration, and a few moment of promise. Did his job when he came on. 

Gregory - 7 - Looked a threat, probably should've scored, and like Brown, came on and did his job. 

Overall...

I know the fact we nearly chucked a 3-0 lead away will be prominent in the thoughts of many. And yes, of course it's a concern. But I don't think that tells the story today.

Accrington's goals today were low % opportunities...probably equating less than .10xG as an estimate....on most other days, they don't go in. Ourselves on the hand, created an abundance of high quality chances, and squandered the majority of them. All three of our goals were probably amongst our lower % opportunities...but Paterson x2 , Brown, Gregory, & Bannan had glorious opportunities they either missed or chose the wrong option.

Despite scoring three, I think we should be disappointed with the amount of goals we've scored today...and that's testament to the quality of our overall play. And conversely, despite conceding twice, I think we can be pleased with how we defended. When you've only got one player genuinely capable of winning aerial duals, you're going to be vulnerable from set pieces and balls into the box. But, on the whole, I thought we dealt with Accrington's direct threat well.

The fact is, if we play with the sort of intensity, in and out of possession, most teams in this league will not be able to live with us. We have to take that first 30 half an hour as a real blueprint moving forward. 

Great summary 

• Like 1

Really enjoyed that game, we had a lot more attacking intent than most games this season.

Scored 3 and missed a boat load of easy chances.

BPF.       7.    I don't think he had much chance with the goals and made a couple of very good saves.

Brennan.  6.5.    Very competent display.

Dunkley.    8.   MoM.  Outstanding defensively in the air, got a great goal and also won a couple of other knock backs from corners. Can't play the passing out from the back but surely the manager can see this. That's 4 out of the last 5 MoM awards from me.

Palmer.  7.5.     Could have closed down quicker for one of their goals. Very good when carrying the ball forward, 2 assists.

Hunt.  5.5.  Not sure he offered enough from an attacking perspective.

Dele.       6.5.     I really like him, strong as an ox, very very rarely gives the ball away, keeps it simple.

Luongo.   6.    Great to have a proper holding midfielder back.

Bannan.    6.  Good to see him further up the pitch, quiet first half but played some lovely balls in the second. Missed an easy chance. Needs to release Corbeanu quicker.

Corbeanu.   7.5. What a talent this lad is , fast tricky, 2 great feet. Wonderful goal and the ball he played across goal just after was a delight. Didn't see as much of the ball today with Bannan at his side. Dele is the perfect foil for him, he gives it him early so he can isolate defenders.

Paterson.    3.   I thought he had a very poor game. Missed 2 really easy chances and another good chance. Doesn't lead the line for me.

Kamberi.    6.      Thought he was poor, but scored a cracking goal.   Does have that important knack of scoring.

43 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Overall...

Good assessment. I gave Luongo MOM purely because in the first half he was instrumental in driving us forward, keeping the shape and getting his foot in. He tired, but still kept going and we got back on top in the 2nd half of the 2nd half with him still getting his foot in at times. Palmer was a difficult one t9massess, he did some really good things defensively and going forward, but I thought he was at fault for the 2nd, but twice after that he let their striker get goal side of him, along with being badly out if position. In another attack Stanley had down the middle. 

• Like 1