Bannan - We will get promoted

14 hours ago, vulva said:

In the history of the club no player of this quality has got this much stick. 

In previous years people didn’t just jump on bandwagons and repeat parrot fashion what they’d seen or heard other people say as much as they do these days.

Its pretty sad really.

:ph34r:

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, davey_wells said:

Noticed this "where we belong" phrasing popping up in various player interviews recently (here, Palmer last week).

Unfortunately it sums up the whole issue and why we 

We're here in League 1 for two big reasons...

1. Off the pitch, we were so badly run as a business that we have financially crippled ourselves and broken league rules. That's the main reason we belong in League 1.

2. On the pitch, we were so god damn awful all season we couldn't even overturn a 6 point deduction.  That's another massive reason we belong in League 1.

We have this crap attitude that we're better than League 1 and all these League 1 teams. Talent in the squad says we are, but it means so little without good decisions by the manager and actual hard work.  Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work. Weird managerial decisions don't help.

This also explains the nature of us appearing to give up or put our heads down if we start conceding - we're perplexed as to why we are having to play these clubs but not working hard enough to make talent count... and while that sits with players the manager has surely got to install this in the players he's brought in.

Good post.

I posted this in another thread during the week, but it seems relevant here...

Yes, we should aim to be the best, of course. Nobody's disputing that.

But our club is fundamentally and catastrophically crippled by our owner's actions over recent seasons. Few of the foundations have been put in place to make us successful.

Saying we expect to destroy Accrington is all well and good, but what's been done to make that happen? They'll aim to do the same to us, of course.

I think there's a certain arrogance to our club, which is stopping us from planning properly for the challenges we face.

All the talk of automatic promotion, having the best squad in years, handing out hammerings once it all clicks etc. in the media at the start of the season could be seen as confidence, but could equally be seen as worrying signs of complacency. 

Basically, we've got Barry Bannan, therefore we should beat most League One teams. The likes of Steve Evans must love it when we rock up thinking like that.

I honestly think we're underestimating this league, and until we start to put in place proper plans as to how we're going to nullify opponents' threats and capitalise on their weaknesses rather than allowing them to dictate stretches of each game, we'll continue to drift around as we are: expecting to destroy Accrington, but with no coherent plan as to how to make that happen.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 83owl said:

Back where we belong - Lower end of the championship.

?? Thats not where we belong mate,and never will be.....it might be where we finish up,but thats a different story.

Sadly bottom to middle of the Championship is just a pipedream currently....How sad after climbing out of Div3 to be relegated back into it,rather than consolidating our position for a push to the PL

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Good post.

I posted this in another thread during the week, but it seems relevant here...

Yes, we should aim to be the best, of course. Nobody's disputing that.

But our club is fundamentally and catastrophically crippled by our owner's actions over recent seasons. Few of the foundations have been put in place to make us successful.

Saying we expect to destroy Accrington is all well and good, but what's been done to make that happen? They'll aim to do the same to us, of course.

I think there's a certain arrogance to our club, which is stopping us from planning properly for the challenges we face.

All the talk of automatic promotion, having the best squad in years, handing out hammerings once it all clicks etc. in the media at the start of the season could be seen as confidence, but could equally be seen as worrying signs of complacency. 

Basically, we've got Barry Bannan, therefore we should beat most League One teams. The likes of Steve Evans must love it when we rock up thinking like that.

I honestly think we're underestimating this league, and until we start to put in place proper plans as to how we're going to nullify opponents' threats and capitalise on their weaknesses rather than allowing them to dictate stretches of each game, we'll continue to drift around as we are: expecting to destroy Accrington, but with no coherent plan as to how to make that happen.

I have said this over & over its not just because we have BB(whose time here should have ended in my view,just been here to long) we also have a PL Internnational GK,Windass(now fit) Patterson(with BB former Scotland International) and a whole host of other players with Championship pedigree,or on loan from Championship or PL Clubs.

How many other L1 teams can say that?..Our wage structure in the main not hampered by the L1 salary cap(for historic contracts,or those signed whilst still a Championship Club)

Look where Rotherham and WW are in the League table...again   and where we are......These two Clubs yo-yo Clubs up & down....there squads (in Rotherhams case) changing due to loans leaving,injurys,players being sold....but still more than able to get out of this Division.

We are not 'underestimating' this League...its the third tier of English football,its dire(in my view) full of poor teams,unable to climb higher (fact) as most are stuck here season after season...

Anything else is simple excuse making for our manager & his tactics....

Reaching the 'play offs' is not the mark of a successful season,ask any losing play off finalist or their fans...

This season our best chance of automatic promotion and its been wasted and thrown away...

29 minutes ago, parajack said:

I have said this over & over its not just because we have BB(whose time here should have ended in my view,just been here to long) we also have a PL Internnational GK,Windass(now fit) Patterson(with BB former Scotland International) and a whole host of other players with Championship pedigree,or on loan from Championship or PL Clubs.

How many other L1 teams can say that?..Our wage structure in the main not hampered by the L1 salary cap(for historic contracts,or those signed whilst still a Championship Club)

Look where Rotherham and WW are in the League table...again   and where we are......These two Clubs yo-yo Clubs up & down....there squads (in Rotherhams case) changing due to loans leaving,injurys,players being sold....but still more than able to get out of this Division.

We are not 'underestimating' this League...its the third tier of English football,its dire(in my view) full of poor teams,unable to climb higher (fact) as most are stuck here season after season...

Anything else is simple excuse making for our manager & his tactics....

Reaching the 'play offs' is not the mark of a successful season,ask any losing play off finalist or their fans...

This season our best chance of automatic promotion and its been wasted and thrown away...

Two thirds of relegated teams fail to win promotion; it's not as easy as you make out 

And I reckon a large part of that is teams underestimating the division and failing to put proper, coherent plans in place to fight their way out of it, instead thinking that individual players will get them over the line.

He’s buggered with our lot with whatever he says. I’ll see where we are at the halfway point before I write this season off. Anywhere around 35-40 points and I’ll be satisfied. I’ve always thought it’d be the second half of the season before we really hit form but the majority have spoken already so we’re f**ked garymegson

31 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Two thirds of relegated teams fail to win promotion; it's not as easy as you make out 

And I reckon a large part of that is teams underestimating the division and failing to put proper, coherent plans in place to fight their way out of it, instead thinking that individual players will get them over the line.

I dont care about the two thirds,I care about the 1 third that do....and for those set up correctly(Rotherham,Barnsley,) etc it clearly is as 'easy' as made out.....Personally i fully expect Rotherham to do it again this season,which would be there third time of doing,if WW manage it,it would be there second consecutively

15 minutes ago, parajack said:

I dont care about the two thirds,I care about the 1 third that do....and for those set up correctly(Rotherham,Barnsley,) etc it clearly is as 'easy' as made out.....Personally i fully expect Rotherham to do it again this season,which would be there third time of doing,if WW manage it,it would be there second consecutively

Because they have coherent plans and aren't underestimating the division.

Whereas we seem to think having Barry Bannan means we should get promoted.

1 hour ago, parajack said:

?? Thats not where we belong mate,and never will be.....it might be where we finish up,but thats a different story.

Sadly bottom to middle of the Championship is just a pipedream currently....How sad after climbing out of Div3 to be relegated back into it,rather than consolidating our position for a push to the PL

Problem is you look at the thread on here about best Wednesday 11 you have seen and it’s just full of absolute crap teams, second rate championship players and crocks. Basically anyone under the age of about 35 hasn’t seen a top player in a wednesday shirt. Most fans know is as a Crap championship or a L1 club.

27 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Because they have coherent plans and aren't underestimating the division.

Whereas we seem to think having Barry Bannan means we should get promoted.

Who does? maybe DM I dont see  great deal of that on here,many(myself included) just think his talents just not suited to L1 and the current players around him.

A new challenge would  have served all better i feel...our current woes i think are down to the manager and his tactics..

8 minutes ago, parajack said:

Who does? maybe DM I dont see  great deal of that on here,many(myself included) just think his talents just not suited to L1 and the current players around him.

A new challenge would  have served all better i feel...our current woes i think are down to the manager and his tactics..

The club as a whole, and many of the supporters.

We have some decent individual players, but that's not enough to get us out of this division: we need a plan; a structure; a culture, for want of a better word.

We seem to be taking the Sunderland approach of thinking we're too big and too good for this league, and whilst ever that persists, we'll struggle to get promoted.

Bannan talking of winning promotion is all well and good, but what substance is behind it? What planning have we done? What structures are in place? What work had gone in to making that a reality?

Because as far as I can see, we're hoping that being Sheffield Wednesday and having Barry Bannan in our team will be enough.

• Like 1