What’s been your maddest ever away trip?

I found a fiver on the way to Bloomfield Rd before the League Cup 2nd Round 1st leg in September 88 - it was the highlight before we got beat 2-0. I was 10 at the time.

There's some games which were pleasantly hydrated as I aged....we even managed to win a few.....WAWAW

8 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Was at the City game, thought Ollie got the goals?

Portsmouth away a few weeks before was mental if you went on the ICO. Journey down was okay but the weather was the worst I've ever known and by the end of the game we were soaked. Then it was delay after delay all the way back home in a train full of Owls stripped to their undies trying to get dried off!

Think you may be right about Varadi scoring (in fact I know you are cus I’ve just goggled it)

In my defence it was Megson that banged a 30 yarder in in that Portsmouth game wasn’t it. I was on the train that day as well…..mental times 

Notts County away when we won 2-0 around 2010?

Went for a drink at half time and there was only a young girl on her own serving. 

She was getting a lot of stick with 2 coppers stood at the end of the bar who were doing nothing. 

I could see the girl was in tears so I jumped behind the bar and started serving. By charging a round £3 for a beer and not putting anything through the till I managed to shift over a hundred quids worth of booze in 5 minutes and left the cash in the till. The club accountant must have had some fun that night. 

But one punter insisted on some food. So I grabbed a packet out the oven. He asked what is it, I replied I don't know. He asked how much, I replied a fiver and he bought it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Its no exaggeration to say that there was a story  to tell about just about every away game in the 70’s and early 80’s when I used to do about 15 trips a season.

West Ham, Anfield, Kaiserslautern, Swindon, Lincoln etc etc. But the one that stands out from me was Brighton in the mid 70’s.

Set off crack of dawn from Pond St.

got there at lunchtime and told that due to the law coach driver couldn’t start return journey until 10:30pm

Wednesday coach in front of us having entire back window plastered with pictures from Mayfair or Penthouse.

Getting surrounded by Manu Fans at a service station before they dematerialised when about 10 coach loads of Wednesdayites turned up.

Outside a pub near their cricket ground chanting “One Geoffrey Boycott, there’s only one Geoffrey Boycott”.

Eric Potts scoring and going mental (we rarely scored).

Peter Ward equalising late on and us thinking we had been relegated (no internet then).

Walking along the sea front and seeing a big mob of Wednesday fans walk through middle of a big wedding turning out of a hotel.

50 a side match on the beach.

Going in a pub and seeing my first openly gay barman. (A shock to a sheltered lad from Parson Cross).

sat in a bar late on and “tales of the unexpected “ on. ( not many pubs had tellys then)

Being called a “Herbert” by a copper (an insult apparently) as everyone was rounded up for the trip back

Sat on coach where we were all waiting for a girl to turn up until someone said “she’s been arrested”.

Arriving back at Pond street at 4:30am Sunday morning and catching first but home.

• Like 1

Been loads but one that stands out for me was our last game at Ninian park against Cardiff 

I had Blue n White stripes on covered by a fleece when in the pubs

After the game which we lost 2-0 we were straight back in the boozers and got talking to a load of Cardiff fans.

I then left my fleece in a pub so just had my Wednesday top on but with all my new Cardiff friends I went around the pubs and into a nightclub

The doormen laughed and said don’t bother coming in here but the Cardiff lads who knew them said it’d be ok.

I was stood on a huge speaker box teaching the thousand or so Cardiff fans the words to ‘Hark now hear’ and they loved it because they hate the pigs too

Then ended up getting a taxi to wrong hotel with sun coming up. Found out later my mate jumped in a taxi and asked to be dropped off a gleadless. When taxi driver said he didn’t know where that was he gave him a round of phooks and stormed off.

Ive fallen out with Wednesday these days but nobody can take away my memories of following this once great club.

Weirdest ones for me were both at Wembley and not involving Wednesday.

England v Scotland 1975. Got a ticket Friday night in a pub and went down on the train the next morning.

Had to walk eight miles to Wembley due to a public transport strike caused by Scots throwing a tube worker on the track two years earlier.

Ended up behind the goal England we’re kicking towards first half. Full of drunken Scots. 

Left the game with 20 mins to go after Englands fifth goal, and a volley of p*ss filled whiskey bottles rained down on their own fans heads. 

The other occasion was at the FA Vase final between Sheffield FC and Billericay.

Turned out Billericay was from the East End of London.

Went down on an independent coach from Jordanthorpe, not sure how that happened, which had a mixture of Owls and Blades.

Trouble after the game near the Torch boozer. One kid off our coach was arrested. We didn’t leave Wembley till he was released at half eight at night with his summons to appear in court the following week.

Some bright spark said he knew of a boozer in Ilford that was full of women the last time he went. So naturally off we went across London to this pub in the East End!  

Fifty odd Sheffielders in this pub, the locals must have been shocked. Fortunately managed to get out without incident. Naivety and madness.

Edited by marconi

1 hour ago, Sir Says said:

Notts County away when we won 2-0 around 2010?

Went for a drink at half time and there was only a young girl on her own serving. 

She was getting a lot of stick with 2 coppers stood at the end of the bar who were doing nothing. 

I could see the girl was in tears so I jumped behind the bar and started serving. By charging a round £3 for a beer and not putting anything through the till I managed to shift over a hundred quids worth of booze in 5 minutes and left the cash in the till. The club accountant must have had some fun that night. 

But one punter insisted on some food. So I grabbed a packet out the oven. He asked what is it, I replied I don't know. He asked how much, I replied a fiver and he bought it. 

If that's true, it's an absolutely brliant story. 

22 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Burnley away, last match of the season, already relegated, won 7-2..people with shoes off..Ashley Westwood, Steven Haslam and Richard Wood scoring 

Internet tells me Richard Evand and Allan Quinn both scored 30 yarders.

Very bizarre day. 

Also Port Vale away in a friendly,  the lesser spotted Kim Olsen making his debut,  Burslem being an absolute sh*thole , kicked off as we left , fighting at a friendly before we even left the ground. 

Having said that, I've seen two fans at Mansfield away in the cup throwing punches at each other on the front row of the stand , one absolute unit of a bloke and one that was 9 stone wet through..the local plod were pi$$ing themselves laughing before realising they ought to go and break it up. 

Oh, it is definitely worth reliving some of the goals in that one. Probably the weirdest selection of goals in a Wednesday game. Comedy own goals, 30-yard daisy cutters where the keeper inexplicably doesn't dive, goals from crosses, tackles, or goalies just throwing shots straight into the net.

I like it after the fifth goal (the Haslam tackle, although it looks to me like Richard Wood got a sneaky touch) and the presenter just breaks down and says "they just get worse and worse...". Then Quinn scores an absolute screamer to round it off.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

The utter madness of setting off for the Bristol City away game in the 1990/91 season in a snowstorm and then the coach having to turn back back at Ripley.Didn’t arrive back into Sheffield till just after 4pm.🙄

Ditto.

Our coach got as far as Clay Cross going down the M1 and ground to a halt. Snowball fights with Sunderland fans ensued (I think they were playing at Tottenham), the next we decided to walk into Clay Cross along a dual carriageway to the first pub we could find.  

We we spent a good few hours in there and decided to walk back to the M1 to try to find our coach or try to cadge a lift back nearer to home.  After walking down the M1 for what seemed like an age, we eventually managed to find our coach just before it left the M1 to come back up the other side of the M1.

I never did get my fish and chips I'd ordered in the pub!!

1 minute ago, Chilli said:

Ditto.

Our coach got as far as Clay Cross going down the M1 and ground to a halt. Snowball fights with Sunderland fans ensued (I think they were playing at Tottenham), the next we decided to walk into Clay Cross along a dual carriageway to the first pub we could find.  

We we spent a good few hours in there and decided to walk back to the M1 to try to find our coach or try to cadge a lift back nearer to home.  After walking down the M1 for what seemed like an age, we eventually managed to find our coach just before it left the M1 to come back up the other side of the M1.

I never did get my fish and chips I'd ordered in the pub!!

I feel for you not getting your fish and Chips also saw the highlights of the game that we didn’t get to see and at least 200/300 fans finally managed to get through. Final score 1-1

5 hours ago, Ian said:

Think you may be right about Varadi scoring (in fact I know you are cus I’ve just goggled it)

In my defence it was Megson that banged a 30 yarder in in that Portsmouth game wasn’t it. I was on the train that day as well…..mental times 

It was Megson who scored at Portsmouth. 35 yard Free Kick with the wind behind it, right in front of the faithful. May have taken a small deflection too.

Following week was Brighton way which was also mental for entirely different reasons (Jimmy Melia) and the complete contrast in weather conditions (warm and sunny all day). Won 3-1.

Edited by Utah Owl

16 hours ago, hopevalleyowl said:

Remember Quinn putting us in front then getting battered 3-1 in April ‘02, their penalty area being covered in cuddly toys and inflatables, and a load of aggro kicking off near their end 

I remember watching 'Spideman' getting stuck into their lot on the edge of the pitch

Looking into the stand behind the goal, loads of punch ups happening, an old fellah hitting one of our lads with a crutch , and a young Stockport lad managed somehow to land a haymaker on a huge , fat bald fan of ours and send him tumbling down the steps..young lad celebrated like he'd won the world title.

To cap it all, in that corner with all with the trouble, a Stockport player went down injured and Rodger Wylde comes on as physio to treat him , to be met with a ridiculous reception and a 5 minute chant of his name! 

1 hour ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

I feel for you not getting your fish and Chips also saw the highlights of the game that we didn’t get to see and at least 200/300 fans finally managed to get through. Final score 1-1

Little Frank Ronksley from Swinton (if you've met him, you'll know all about him 😁) went down on the train that game and apparently got in for the last 5 minutes. At least he can say he was there 😁.

22 minutes ago, Chilli said:

Little Frank Ronksley from Swinton (if you've met him, you'll know all about him 😁) went down on the train that game and apparently got in for the last 5 minutes. At least he can say he was there 😁.

Heard about him but never met him tbh from what’s been said about him, he must have been a right Character.

49 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Heard about him but never met him tbh from what’s been said about him, he must have been a right Character.

He's still going to most games now, though he must be well into his 70s/80s.

We picked him up from home one Boxing Day (can't remember where we were playing 😁), and he wouldn't answer his door. We were just about to leave when he threw open the front room curtains stark b*ll*ck naked!!  Luckily he's only about 4ft tall 😁 so his modesty was covered by the window sill 😁.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

It was Megson who scored at Portsmouth. 35 yard Free Kick with the wind behind it, right in front of the faithful. May have taken a small deflection too.

Following week was Brighton way which was also mental for entirely different reasons (Jimmy Melia) and the complete contrast in weather conditions (warm and sunny all day). Won 3-1.

I think we also had Torquay away around that time……not sure if they were 3 games in a row but they were definitely 3 away games in a row….Portsmouth, Brighton and Torquay!!

Blackburn Rovers 

Semi-final of league Cup in 93. Got to Blackburn around 5pm, had a bag of chips and then went to a pub near the ground. It was full of Wednesday fans and we just sang and sang and sang for hours. I remember walking to the ground absolutely knackered and wondering how I was going to make it through the match.

What a match! We went a goal down and then scored four in 20 minutes. Blackburn scored again. It was 4-2 at half time and I had no idea what was going to happen in the second half. In the end, nothing and it stayed 4-2 but what a match.

On the other scale, Man Utd away in the same competition led to their fans assaulting loads of ours after the match because they thought we were taking the p*** about Munich. That was pretty scary.