View from an Argyle fan

3 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Goodness me....utter twaddle. If the players start off so well as you say, why can they not keep that up? How on earth that is the managers fault is beyond me .

Because the manager is not installing belief, guts, bottle, battle and tactical nounce into them.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, andytrig said:

Hi @Green Army appreciate that you've come on here in good spirit and been fair and constructive, however.....

Does it grate that Plymouth is the largest city in Europe never to have a top flight football club?

No, not really.

We are resigned to our lot.

We'd love a season with the big boys but understand it is probably never going to happen.  A League 1 / Championship yo-yo club is the best we can probably really expect.  When we have, over the years, assembled a good team and got into the Championship the clubs with bigger budgets have picked off our best players / managers.  Argyle players who do well and get sold on often triple their wages and get to move to a part of the country closer to their family etc.  How can we compete with that without risking the future of the club?  We tried that about 15 years ago and we almost went bust, finished third bottom of league 2 and ...Peter Risdale was involved in saving us....that should tell you all  you need to know about that time!

Thanks for the explanation of why people would buy tickets and not attend.  Hadn't thought of that and we have a different system...and eternal debate among the fans on which system is fairest....

I still think you have a great team, for this league, somewhere in that squad and it wouldn't surprise me if you made a late run and went up through the playoffs....that's the way football is!  Although...you need to find a good goalie.  Both games at HP were helped with blunders by your keeper.  The third last night was ridiculous.  Your keeper handles the ball outside the box but then lets go of the ball before the ref blows up allowing the advantage to be played and Garrick having the easiest goal he'll ever score. 

I think we will fade away as we are over achieving and aren't as good as the league table suggests...but we'll enjoy it while it lasts! 

P.S.  Nice to see Wednesday playing in blue and white away from home as well rather than that peculiar pink strip.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Just now, StudentOwl said:

@Green Army... we're a team that hasn't come back from behind to win a game in 2 years... says it all really.

No... I'm really not exaggerating.

It will end though....all teams go through it...

In one of our recent relegation seasons we let a goal in within 5 minutes of the second half starting for 12 matches in a row.....and had a man sent off in 6 consecutive games....(not the same man obviously!)

10 hours ago, Devonstrix said:

There were a lot more than 300 Wednesday supporters there last night. They were spread across 2 x 500 blocks and I would estimate about 700 there. Only 300 come the end mind!

True.   It was 300 at the end but a lot more at the start.  You've got the support of a top ten Premiership team and should be competing with the likes of Villa and Wolves....not Argyle....

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Wednesday sell out every Saturday away match.

So you need the priority points to get a ticket.

700+ people thought that was worth £10 to them.

I find it bizarre that people

will spend £10 to get 10 points , how can you be that desperate to go watch a team struggling in league one and getting humiliated at tiny clubs for the privelige ?

38 minutes ago, Green Army said:

True.   It was 300 at the end but a lot more at the start.  You've got the support of a top ten Premiership team and should be competing with the likes of Villa and Wolves....not Argyle....

Unfortunately football doesn't work like that and we are where we are because of an owner who has no clue how to run a football club and a manager who seems just as clueless at managing a football team 

1 hour ago, Green Army said:

No, not really.

We are resigned to our lot.

We'd love a season with the big boys but understand it is probably never going to happen.  A League 1 / Championship yo-yo club is the best we can probably really expect.  When we have, over the years, assembled a good team and got into the Championship the clubs with bigger budgets have picked off our best players / managers.  Argyle players who do well and get sold on often triple their wages and get to move to a part of the country closer to their family etc.  How can we compete with that without risking the future of the club?  We tried that about 15 years ago and we almost went bust, finished third bottom of league 2 and ...Peter Risdale was involved in saving us....that should tell you all  you need to know about that time!

Thanks for the explanation of why people would buy tickets and not attend.  Hadn't thought of that and we have a different system...and eternal debate among the fans on which system is fairest....

I still think you have a great team, for this league, somewhere in that squad and it wouldn't surprise me if you made a late run and went up through the playoffs....that's the way football is!  Although...you need to find a good goalie.  Both games at HP were helped with blunders by your keeper.  The third last night was ridiculous.  Your keeper handles the ball outside the box but then lets go of the ball before the ref blows up allowing the advantage to be played and Garrick having the easiest goal he'll ever score. 

I think we will fade away as we are over achieving and aren't as good as the league table suggests...but we'll enjoy it while it lasts! 

P.S.  Nice to see Wednesday playing in blue and white away from home as well rather than that peculiar pink strip.

Having spent a considerable amount of time in Plymouth during my Navy career and also lived there for a few years while with a then girlfriend (family were Argyle season ticket holder’s) I did get to a number of matches between 2001 - 2004. You had some great players during that period, David Friio and David Norris being particularly decent. 

I’ve generally kept an eye on your progress over the years and I agree with you that being in the country where you are sometimes doesn’t help when trying to entice players to join the club.

Thanks for the balanced view on our situation and I wish you all the best for the remainder of the season.

Thanks.  Great memories!  Norris went to Ipswich for £2 million and tripled his wages.  Friio, my favourite ever Argyle centre midfielder,  went to Forest, quadrupled his wages and they played him on the wing.....and then moaned he was rubbish...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Green Army said:

Thanks.  Great memories!  Norris went to Ipswich for £2 million and tripled his wages.  Friio, my favourite ever Argyle centre midfielder,  went to Forest, quadrupled his wages and they played him on the wing.....and then moaned he was rubbish...

And I forgot to mention Reda Johnson, all round nice guy and well liked by both Argyle and Wednesday.

13 hours ago, Green Army said:

I reckon your main issue is its a small squad, and youl need to be lucky injury and discipline wise, I dont know how many promising kids youve got in your youth set up that may be able to help you ride out any issues along the way, its a long slog of a season but youve got good momentum and spirit just now.

Been fascinating reading your posts and thanks for the insight on your club, your obviously in safe hands, unlike us!

50 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

I reckon your main issue is its a small squad, and youl need to be lucky injury and discipline wise, I dont know how many promising kids youve got in your youth set up that may be able to help you ride out any issues along the way, its a long slog of a season but youve got good momentum and spirit just now.

Been fascinating reading your posts and thanks for the insight on your club, your obviously in safe hands, unlike us!

The squad size may be an issue although we now have several players returning from injury as we were down to our last 13 senior match fit pros on Tuesday night!  We have 4 or 5 now ready to return who used to be first team players....

The discipline is an interesting one...as usual on Tuesday we barely committed a foul.  I think it was 2 in the whole game and none in the first 75 minutes.  Lowe is adamant that you don't give free kicks away as the other team needs to prove they can score if they get past you on the pitch not be gifted a set piece...and if you're in the right place doing the right thing you shouldn't be fouling people anyway.....

We did have a centre half retrospectively banned at the start of the season for punching someone off the ball......so we hope he has learnt his lesson!

If you can stomach it....look at our matchday moments...

See how many good chances you had at 0-0...you could have been 2 or 3 up and everyone on this site would be happy....and ours would be all about balloons popping...it really is the smallest of margins some times..

..https://youtu.be/TqQk-shcBIw  and then not a sniff after 1-0.

Watch Moore's reaction when the ball is given away for the first goal...and if you can punish yourself to the end....the final shot by the Wednesday player in the last minute of extra time essentially sums up the second half for you....

• Like 2