View from an Argyle fan

59 minutes ago, debram said:

Its been quite the norm in most games, start off well and then once the other side gets to grips we pack in, purely down to bad management.

Id say its more down to the confidence levels and the midset of the players. We concede and they think they are done. Our captain doesn't help - he tends to either shout abuse at people or let his head go down, when what they need is someone to get them going. I wouldn't put this on Moore - its been an issue since 2016. 
The playing of Jaden Brown, however, is all on him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, swfcGibbo said:

Good summary.

Point 7 however is IMO due to the injury crisis. We had a striker and a right back playing in a central 3.

No it’s not down to injuries

he had a right back playing at left back, a left back playing on the wing and a forward at right back 

he’s off his head

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

All season we have committed players foreword for the first part of the games and leaving us exposed at the back 

We got away with it for a few games until other managers sussed us out 

The first game at Plymouth being a prime example 

A lot of posters on here have been saying we should Atack teams more but this has been our undoing especially now our defence has been decimated but Moore hasn’t been able to work out any other plan or tactic 

At least on paper you can sort of see what Moore is wanting to do. You can play 3 at the back and have two wing backs as attacking as you want them, near enough as more traditional attacking wide players if you want. As long as you've got at least one midfielder player who is a disciplined ball winner and capable of acting as a shield just infront of that back 3, you should never really have any less than 4 "defenders" at any one time regardless of how far forward your wingbacks are. 

Our problem is that we simply don't have the personnel to make this work. We don't have 3 first team quality defenders who can form a stable, efficient back 3. We don't have any presence and are far too weak in midfield, which gives us absolutely no protection through the middle - a problem I think we've had and continually failed to address since Wembley.

There is no link between the defence and midfield in either a defensive or attacking sense, hence why we end up with Bannan sometimes ending up at centre back and trying to play this weird quarterback role he drifts into. To be honest I'm shocked that more of our draws haven't turned into defeats, because we are so aimless and disjointed with our system and shape. It's no wonder that the standout team in the division have hammered us twice, and it should go without saying that Marvin Johnson and Patterson being in this "back 3" is just a total non-starter. 

I've said this before, but for me Moore is playing to what he thinks the modern standards and coaching trends are, not to what he's actually got at his disposal with this team. 

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

At least on paper you can sort of see what Moore is wanting to do. You can play 3 at the back and have two wing backs as attacking as you want them, near enough as more traditional attacking wide players if you want. As long as you've got at least one midfielder player who is a disciplined ball winner and capable of acting as a shield just infront of that back 3, you should never really have any less than 4 "defenders" at any one time regardless of how far forward your wingbacks are. 

Our problem is that we simply don't have the personnel to make this work. We don't have 3 first team quality defenders who can form a stable, efficient back 3. We don't have any presence and are far too weak in midfield, which gives us absolutely no protection through the middle - a problem I think we've had and continually failed to address since Wembley.

There is no link between the defence and midfield in either a defensive or attacking sense, hence why we end up with Bannan sometimes ending up at centre back and trying to play this weird quarterback role he drifts into. To be honest I'm shocked that more of our draws haven't turned into defeats, because we are so aimless and disjointed with our system and shape. It's no wonder that the standout team in the division have hammered us twice, and it should go without saying that Marvin Johnson and Patterson being in this "back 3" is just a total non-starter. 

I've said this before, but for me Moore is playing to what he thinks the modern standards and coaching trends are, not to what he's actually got at his disposal with this team. 

Good post and the last paragraph says it all for me too, personally..........

👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Green Army said:

Just wanted to share my viewpoint if that is Ok regarding last night's game.

1)  For the first 15 / 20 minutes you tore us apart and where the best team I've seen in this division for a long time.

2)  We couldn't cope with your attacks down either wings and a bit more presence / movement in the box and you'd have had a field day.

3)  You gifted us possession for the first goal and then.....

4)  It honestly looked like your team gave up.  You stopped pressing, stopped being aggressive in attack and looked like a different team.

5)  Before the game my and my mates were looking at the two squads and trying to pick up best 11.  We picked two Argyle players - our goalie (who is going to be a star) and our striker - Hardie.  The rest were Wednesday players. 

6)  At the end of the game we wouldn't have picked any of your players....confidence is such a funny thing...Wednesday were like two different teams in the first half....Jekyll and Hyde.

7)  If I was the chairman  I'd phone the manager this morning and say if you ever play those centre halfs again then you're going to get sacked.

Finally a question...

You sold 1050 tickets for the game and about 300 showed up...why would so many people buy a ticket for a game they had no intention of attending?

I had the "pleasure" of travelling to and from the game with 3 of my mates who support Argyle last night.

They pretty much agreed with you viewpoints above and that 3-0 to a certain point flattered (unlike the league game). As well as you are playing the goals were as much down to our individual errors as anything else. A lesser team probabaly wouldn't have punished us as clynically as you did unfortunately but that's why you're where you are in the league.

As soon as the first goal went in heads went down and then Bannan gave the ball away on the edge of the box and it was game over (if wasn't already).

Feel we are a almost team, we almost click, we almost get results, but as we aren't getting the results confidence is fragile.

Get the feeling that if we could just string a couple of wins together we would turn the corner but not convinced that will happen with the bizzare team selections that we get week after week.

Grim times supporting Wednesday. 

• Like 1

No offense to anyone in this division....

Best team won, league doesnt lie

We should be more than capable of beating the majority of teams in the league above never mind league 1

We are (and have been for a years) absolutely dreadful

Good look to Plymouth 

Were the pies any good? 

Surely better than the Wednesday performance, the club dont deserve the loyalty and commitment of the fans, maybe they could learn something

No doubt Accy will spank us Saturday unless we magically grow a pair before then

Sounds like the Plymouth that came to Hillsborough on a dark midweek fixture some years back when they were managed by Paul Sturrock. They won 3-1 that night but it could have easily been a lot more.

They were not fazed by the "bigger club", stuck to their task and tore us a new one.

That's the sort of football that gets you promoted.

31 minutes ago, Mollymae's Dad said:

Check out the highlights on bbc sport website

Or not if youve any sense

Love the reaction of Wildsmith after the third goal........It was your fault helmetdale!

aye terrible goalkeeping. his decision making is what needs work.

4 hours ago, Green Army said:

Just wanted to share my viewpoint if that is Ok regarding last night's game.

1)  For the first 15 / 20 minutes you tore us apart and where the best team I've seen in this division for a long time.

2)  We couldn't cope with your attacks down either wings and a bit more presence / movement in the box and you'd have had a field day.

3)  You gifted us possession for the first goal and then.....

4)  It honestly looked like your team gave up.  You stopped pressing, stopped being aggressive in attack and looked like a different team.

5)  Before the game my and my mates were looking at the two squads and trying to pick up best 11.  We picked two Argyle players - our goalie (who is going to be a star) and our striker - Hardie.  The rest were Wednesday players. 

6)  At the end of the game we wouldn't have picked any of your players....confidence is such a funny thing...Wednesday were like two different teams in the first half....Jekyll and Hyde.

7)  If I was the chairman  I'd phone the manager this morning and say if you ever play those centre halfs again then you're going to get sacked.

Finally a question...

You sold 1050 tickets for the game and about 300 showed up...why would so many people buy a ticket for a game they had no intention of attending?

Thanks Green Army - our last 5 years summarised in one post.

Great to be a Wednesdayite!

4 hours ago, Asio otus said:

Tbf i dont care about FA cup, but more concerned why did we play a "strong side " given the amount of injuries. Baffling.

You’re bothered about playing a strong side rather than the strong side getting flogged again?

That is hilarious 😂

2 minutes ago, OzOwl said:

You’re bothered about playing a strong side rather than the strong side getting flogged again?

That is hilarious 😂

No i said  WE put out a "strong eleven" for a game that is not a priority, thereby risking further injuries.

6 hours ago, debram said:

Its been quite the norm in most games, start off well and then once the other side gets to grips we pack in, purely down to bad management.

Goodness me....utter twaddle. If the players start off so well as you say, why can they not keep that up? How on earth that is the managers fault is beyond me .

7 hours ago, OneManBand said:

We all ways throw the towel in when we concede.

Sometimes we throw the towel in before we get on the pitch thanks to Frank Bruno telling the players the opposition play wonderful football. 

Builds zero confidence in the players.