INJURY INVESTIGATION ANNOUNCED

3 minutes ago, Ronio said:

There are many reasons why we are picking up injuries.  I will name a few of them.  

1.  Signing players on the cheap who have a history of injury problems.  We take a punt on them because they are cheap, which kind of works out being more expensive in the long run.

2. Physicality of the league.  A lot of teams in this division will prefer to scrap it out to make up for lack of technical ability.  We on the other hand are soft as shiite.  Countless games this season, supposed weaker opposition out muscle us, win more challenges and win more headers in the air.  Very rarely do we actually impose ourselves on the opposition from a physical standpoint and it shows big time.  

3.  Lack of proper infrastructure.  Lack of investment in our training facilities will no doubt be a factor.  

4.  Playing players out of position.  I'm sure there is something in this.  Having to put a tackle in or a challenge with your weaker foot.  Playing in a position a player is not comfortable with surely will increase the likelihood of a player picking up an injury.  Case in point, Marvin Johnson, having to play like a centre back, win his headers and put tackles in, something he hasn't had to do for most of his career.  Now he is out injured. 

5.  Rushing players back too quickly.  Examples, Luongo earlier in the season just before the window shut, Adeniran last night.  

6.  Style of play.  If you look at the majority of our games this season, you will find most of them will have finished by a single goal margin, meaning most of the game will be a close fought affair, a battle for the majority of the game.  We never make things easy for ourselves, this is further exemplified with us trying to play out from the back.  It made players panic, having to put in last ditch tackles and putting our players under unnecessary pressure and risk.  How often do we see us go two three goals up, meaning we can send on some of the fringe players to protect our best players? A very rare occurrence. 

7. Lack of understanding regarding specific players capability.  An example of this Sam Hutchinson.  Doing perfectly fine in the centre of defense, and things were ticking along nicely.  Then gets moved into central midfield where many fans even suggested it would put too much strain on his body and to keep him in defense.  Lo and behold, he gets played in midfield and we haven't seen him since.  

8.  Manager's ability.  Moore needs to take responsibility for a big part of what is going on at the moment.  Many of the points above can be linked directly to the manager and the choices he makes on an individual level. 

9. Physios and backroom staff.  I think they need to be mentioned, as it is their jobs to keep players in peak physical condition and to ensure they are fully fit.  I will give an example of this, Lewis Gibson, I really do wonder how his medical actually went, because since the very first day he arrived at the club, he wasn't even fit, and dare I say it probably injured.  I'm always led to believe that when players sign for a club, they go through a grueling process, from a medical standpoint, assessing whether there are underlying issues and two whether they are actually fit.  Dunkley is another example, when we signed him last season.  

10.  Weather conditions and choice of boots.  Rain and frost will alter the playing surface, choice of boots will/should correlate to the conditions.  Whether the ground is hard or soft, something you will see a lot of in horse racing.   I mean I could go on and on.  

11.  Reluctance to use and perhaps rely on our youth players.  We would rather play an older player with a lot of mileage on his tank, meaning susceptibility and risk to injury goes up exponentially.  Personally I would rather see a young player like Brennan given more game time and get a game in his natural position than shoehorning another player like Johnson, who lets face it, isn't really a centre back and is now out injured.  

The fact of the matter is, if we are conducting an actual investigation to all our injury problems, all it says to me is that we have been blind to all the issues for far too long, or in others words, we haven't a bloody clue..  If we have been blind to all these problems, what are the actual chances that those at the club actually know what they are actually doing and two what are the chances they will actually fix it.  

You’ve just completed the investigation for Moore there. Agree with nearly every point you’ve made.

Number 1 and number 11 are the most pertinent points for me though… if we sign players that are getting old and/or have a history of injury problems we can’t be surprised when they get injured 

I look forward to Moore announcing the findings......  

PRESS RELEASE:

"Following a thorough investigation into the ongoing injury crisis Sheffield Wednesday are pleased to announce that it was - Colonel Mustard, in the Library with the Candlestick. The club are seeking legal advice and will make no further comment at this time......"

Investigation concluded in proper Wednesday style. 😂

Edited by Morepork
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Morepork said:

"Following a thorough investigation into the ongoing injury crisis Sheffield Wednesday are pleased to announce that it was - Colonel Mustard, in the Library with the Candlestick. The club are seeking legal advice and will make no further comment at this time......"

Oh, ffs! Wait until SAG hears about this! 

• Haha 4

It becomes a vicious circle doesn't it.

The more injuries we have the more likely we are to ask players with fatigue, knocks and niggles to carry on playing which in the long run results in more long term absences and the likely hood of bringing injured players back too early.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

The main thing is comparing how we are against others in the league in terms of injuries . Think we have 9 out at the moment 

Iorfa

hutch

gibson

johnson 

dennis 

windass

gregory

adenrian

hunt

Maybe 🤔 some players are just fed up with DM and the injuries are not what they seem 🤔Hutchinson for example 

We were playing crap well before these injuries so trying to shift the blame to that seems like an excuse to me. I was willing, and wanted, to give Moore time. However since he walked through the door both performances and results have been no where near good enough. He’s had since May effectively to build a team and style from scratch.

It’s nearly December and it’s getting worse. He inherited a shiteshow but had the unique opportunity of a blank piece of paper, with very strong budget and core of very good players for this level, a luxury not afforded to the likes of Monk, Jos,, Pulis etc. He’s made a right old ballacks of it. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, mogbad said:

It would be interesting to see how many injuries we would have if the manager selected players in their natural position and employed tactics that the players both understood and were in agreement with.

You might have nailed it there @mogbad.

The left sided players are tangling up their legs trying to kick the ball with the wrong foot. And so on... 

5 hours ago, Ronio said:

There are many reasons why we are picking up injuries.  I will name a few of them.  

1.  Signing players on the cheap who have a history of injury problems.  We take a punt on them because they are cheap, which kind of works out being more expensive in the long run.

2. Physicality of the league.  A lot of teams in this division will prefer to scrap it out to make up for lack of technical ability.  We on the other hand are soft as shiite.  Countless games this season, supposed weaker opposition out muscle us, win more challenges and win more headers in the air.  Very rarely do we actually impose ourselves on the opposition from a physical standpoint and it shows big time.  

3.  Lack of proper infrastructure.  Lack of investment in our training facilities will no doubt be a factor.  

4.  Playing players out of position.  I'm sure there is something in this.  Having to put a tackle in or a challenge with your weaker foot.  Playing in a position a player is not comfortable with surely will increase the likelihood of a player picking up an injury.  Case in point, Marvin Johnson, having to play like a centre back, win his headers and put tackles in, something he hasn't had to do for most of his career.  Now he is out injured. 

5.  Rushing players back too quickly.  Examples, Luongo earlier in the season just before the window shut, Adeniran last night.  

6.  Style of play.  If you look at the majority of our games this season, you will find most of them will have finished by a single goal margin, meaning most of the game will be a close fought affair, a battle for the majority of the game.  We never make things easy for ourselves, this is further exemplified with us trying to play out from the back.  It made players panic, having to put in last ditch tackles and putting our players under unnecessary pressure and risk.  How often do we see us go two three goals up, meaning we can send on some of the fringe players to protect our best players? A very rare occurrence. 

7. Lack of understanding regarding specific players capability.  An example of this Sam Hutchinson.  Doing perfectly fine in the centre of defense, and things were ticking along nicely.  Then gets moved into central midfield where many fans even suggested it would put too much strain on his body and to keep him in defense.  Lo and behold, he gets played in midfield and we haven't seen him since.  

8.  Manager's ability.  Moore needs to take responsibility for a big part of what is going on at the moment.  Many of the points above can be linked directly to the manager and the choices he makes on an individual level. 

9. Physios and backroom staff.  I think they need to be mentioned, as it is their jobs to keep players in peak physical condition and to ensure they are fully fit.  I will give an example of this, Lewis Gibson, I really do wonder how his medical actually went, because since the very first day he arrived at the club, he wasn't even fit, and dare I say it probably injured.  I'm always led to believe that when players sign for a club, they go through a grueling process, from a medical standpoint, assessing whether there are underlying issues and two whether they are actually fit.  Dunkley is another example, when we signed him last season.  

10.  Weather conditions and choice of boots.  Rain and frost will alter the playing surface, choice of boots will/should correlate to the conditions.  Whether the ground is hard or soft, something you will see a lot of in horse racing.   I mean I could go on and on.  

11.  Reluctance to use and perhaps rely on our youth players.  We would rather play an older player with a lot of mileage on his tank, meaning susceptibility and risk to injury goes up exponentially.  Personally I would rather see a young player like Brennan given more game time and get a game in his natural position than shoehorning another player like Johnson, who lets face it, isn't really a centre back and is now out injured.  

The fact of the matter is, if we are conducting an actual investigation to all our injury problems, all it says to me is that we have been blind to all the issues for far too long, or in others words, we haven't a bloody clue..  If we have been blind to all these problems, what are the actual chances that those at the club actually know what they are actually doing and two what are the chances they will actually fix it.  

That's a 10 from me

craig-revel-horwood.webp

• Thanks 1

At any level of football, players who play tentatively, play without confidence, play with fear get injured - sometimes badly. 

As others have pointed out there are other issues involved too but for me this is the main issue. 

ps When are DM and the club psychologist having their annual staff appraisals?