The football is improving - we are getting there

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Someone on here posted something which showed squad turnover for all of the clubs, think it was minutes played by players who were here last season or something. 

And we weren’t an outlier by any means.. a lot of clubs have changed their sides as much as we have but they all aren’t using it as an excuse. We’ve had 17 games now plus 5 cup games.. 22 games should be more than enough for the squad to have bedded in. And we’re still disjointed.

I just don’t see us going on a 5 game winning run or the like which is what promoted teams tend to do. We rarely score heavily, give lots of late goals away and never come back from behind to win. It’s a real problem 

I don’t think we are disjointed anymore - if the past 3 or 4 games are to go by. We look like a team now in my opinion and that’s reflected in the improved performances.

Let’s see where we are in 5 games time. You say we rarely score heavily but in our past 4 games, we hit 3 past Sunderland and 4 past Harrogate. 

We are improving.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Exactly. I don't understand the mentality of fans who want to want to sack the manager when we're close to the playoffs, on a long unbeaten run, and there are encouraging signs that performances are improving. 

We will only stay in touching distance for so long. The problem with the club over the last few years is we’ve been reactive as opposed to proactive, so it’s better to get rid now rather than we are mid-lower mid table. 

1 minute ago, Sefton owl said:

I’m not going to say Ryan Lowe because he simply wouldn’t come. 

Would try someone like Chris Hughton or Chris Coleman, and as both are out of work I think they are more realistic than Ryan Lowe.

Hughton who stunk the place out at Forest? Coleman who’s last job in England was a terrible spell at Sunderland?

Not for me. Neither would guarantee promotion. Better off sticking with Moore.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Hughton who stunk the place out at Forest? Coleman who’s last job in England was a terrible spell at Sunderland?

Not for me. Neither would guarantee promotion. Better off sticking with Moore.

Sunderland was/is a poisoned chalice, Forest sack managers like no ones business. 

People need to be more realistic when it comes to things like this. 

3 hours ago, northeastowl said:

When Hutch, Luongo, Iorfa, Byers and Windass are back in the team it will make a massive difference. They are 5 massive players to be missing.

Especially Hutch and Iorfa, would make us a he'll if a lot stronger at that back and will make winning games easier. 

iorfa is out probably for the season ,hutchinson who knows but ruled out till new year again doubts about him . luongo aint been fit in 2 half years . windass taking an age to come back  byers scored on tuesday and must have had a reaction as to why not included yesterday , and moore had a bit of a err when asked regards byers for tuesday he said hopefully . 

Was at the game yesterday with a few mates who support other clubs.

General consensus is we have some ok players for this level but they're stifled by the formation we are playing atm.

Personal highlight was my mate losing his sh*t when Bazza took a free kick in our half...and decided to pass it 5 yards sideways to Dunkley.

7 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

We should be winning most games with this squad in this league.. the fact that we’ve won 3 out of 13 isn’t good enough. Should be winning 8-10 of those games.

I seriously can’t see Moore getting anything like the required level of consistency in results. Under him we will probably finish 10-12th, maybe have an outside shot at 6th but probability of promotion is 5-10%. That’s not good enough at all.. we should be going for top 2 with the play offs as the fallback 

Totally agree.....

20 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

After all the off field troubles and the complete clear out and addition of 14 new players. I think it’s very naive to think we should be storming the division.

Should we be doing better? Probably. But I’m under no illusion that this season was going to be straightforward.

People forget that only a few months ago we almost had a player mutiny on our hands and another points deduction for not paying staff. The club was on its arse, the rebuild will take time and won’t be instantaneous. 

100%

i agree with the OP that we played some half decent stuff and i do like the 3-5-2 to get two strikers in the team, but it's square pegs round holes still. Shodipo left wing back is terrible he offers nothing going either way, i know Brown has his critics but he's surely a more natural wing back than Shodipo? And a back 3 is all well and good with 3 centre backs but we will concede goals all the time with a winger and full back playing left and right side of a back 3. That's no dig on Johnson and Palmer because it's not their position, they've been shoehorned into a system. Maybe a natural centre back in Brennan can release Johnson into his more natural position, or sacrifice the back 3 while we don't have 3 fit centre backs. 

I think the next batch of games will really show where we are. Some tricky fixtures coming up and a lot of our unbeaten run comes from teams at the lower end of the table. 

for me the player we miss the most is windass. If we can get him fit and firing then we will win more of those close games. 

we could easily bottom half and out the cup in 5 games or top 6… our season as is often the case hangs on a knife edge.

Agree with 80%of what you say but,our forwards are scoring goals bit.?

The amount of chances they get the return is very poor.I keep saying it but,we wont get promoted with the forwards we have used regularly this season.

Hope Windass comes back well,and id actually give Sow a go now,he looks a smart player,tidy in ball and can actually control it,unlike Kamberi  and Berihino.I dont think you'll get no where near enough goals with Patto and Gregory,just dont see it.Maybe 1 of those and Windass will work but,we are running out of time.Id prob get a mobile target man who can actually make it stick up top especially if we are playing with WBacks over lapping like Moore likes.big Dave would have been ideal,never thought id say that..

UTO

Guest Jack the Hat
22 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Some hyperbole about the football being awful.

I thought we played quite well yesterday. Started on the front foot, desperately unlucky to not go ahead when Paterson hit the post. That was an excellent move with some really nice football. Corbeanu was a threat all game. And Bannan kept things ticking over nicely.

The issue is our defence letting us down. We conceded from a set piece. AGAIN. We played right into Steve Evans hands, letting them get the first goal was a shocker. They just time wasted and slowed things down, fans get wound up, players get nervous. It’s a familiar tale. 

Generally I think performances are improving - which is a good sign. Ultimately it is a results based business and we’re drawing too many games. I wasn’t a fan of this 3-5-2 as I thought it wasted our attacking options on the bench, but Moore has got it working so the wing backs get into dangerous areas. Which bodes well.

I would not pull the trigger on the manager while we’re playing like we are. We need Hutchinson back in defence and I’d get Luongo back in the team ASAP. Just for experience and to provide a bit of calm.

Positives - Dunkley playing really well. Johnson actually provides good balance at LCB. Corbeanu looks a real threat at this level. Strikers are scoring goals. Bannan is starting to influence games more and more. Luongo back fit. 

Negatives - set pieces and drawing games. Needs sorting but if we keep playing like we have done in the past two league games - on the front foot, getting crosses in. I think the wins will come.

Its very easy to play triangles in the first 2/3's of the pitch - especially at home - because the opposition will let you as it gives them time to set up in defence. That means you have to hit the final 1/3 with pinpoint accuracy to get through the wall of defenders. This is OK if you are Man City and have the players, but we don't. And if you don't it is sooooo easy to defend against. Possession counts for little in this league. This is why playing from the back doesn't work in League 1 as demonstrated admirably by us and Sunderland. It's no coincidence the team we have beaten by the biggest margin play even deeper than us. In this league you need to break quickly and get the ball into the box as soon as possible to create the poorer defenders problems. This is why we struggle against poor teams who can't believe their luck at the idiotic and repetitive way we set up.

You also need to mix your tactics up. This is why we are going nowhere under Moore. If we do sneak into the play offs (which i doubt but is possible) it will despite the manager, because we arguably have the best squad and should be strolling along above Plymouth. People can blame Chansiri all they like - Moore is currently the problem, hands down. He's a one trick pony, playing the wrong trick in the wrong league.