The football is improving - we are getting there

21 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

20 odd shot's at goal, only 9 on target, scored one. The forwards are scoring goals?.

How is the defence letting the team down?, more the forwards, or lack of, are letting the team down

Gregory has 6 goals in 15. Keeps that up he’s on track to reach around the 20 mark (unless he’s injured for a period of time).

Kamberi has 3 goals in 5 league starts. 

54 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

When Hutch, Luongo, Iorfa, Byers and Windass are back in the team it will make a massive difference. They are 5 massive players to be missing.

Especially Hutch and Iorfa, would make us a he'll if a lot stronger at that back and will make winning games easier. 

This is what we say every year though. There is no way at any point will we not have 3-4+ injuries. So it's just an unrealistic scenario.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I got as far as our defence let us down

playing 3 at the back consisting of a right back, centre back and left winger when we had a young central defender on the bench.

what let us down was poor team set up and once again the wrong formation and personnel from the start.

Even with the injuries we should have more than enough in the squad to win these games Bannan, Wing and Paterson need to improve consistency quickly, 50 games between them and just 4 goals is simple not good enough at this level.

One defensive error cost us yesterday. Apart from that the defence wasn’t a problem. 

Palmer and Johnson both been playing reasonably well. We still concede that goal if Brennan starts.

Like I said, sooner Hutch is back the better. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Gregory has 6 goals in 15. Keeps that up he’s on track to reach around the 20 mark (unless he’s injured for a period of time).

Kamberi has 3 goals in 5 league starts. 

We've got the personnel to get out of this division, Sally.

The problem lies with Moore.

A good manager would come in and have this lot winning games within a match or two, as when Dave Jones took over from Megson.

As it's topical, I think Steve Evans would.

For all the criticism he gets, he's a better manager than Moore's ever likely to be.

He did what he did yesterday because he's nothing to work with.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, wakefieldowl said:

So, if hutch and Lofra were back, what defence would you all play?

Yes I’ve wondered about this. 
The current back 3 with Palmer and Johnson there does give us the option for them both to break forward which has looked good. Hutch and Iorfa aren’t that type of player.

If they come back in it would be change of style 

• Like 2

The performance was OK, but let's not forget we were playing against a terrible team...yet they still could have won.

It looked a bit disjointed and half arsed. Only Corbeanu looked a threat tbh and without him we wouldn't have created much at all.

Guest LondonOwl313

We should be winning most games with this squad in this league.. the fact that we’ve won 3 out of 13 isn’t good enough. Should be winning 8-10 of those games.

I seriously can’t see Moore getting anything like the required level of consistency in results. Under him we will probably finish 10-12th, maybe have an outside shot at 6th but probability of promotion is 5-10%. That’s not good enough at all.. we should be going for top 2 with the play offs as the fallback 

3 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

We should be winning most games with this squad in this league.. the fact that we’ve won 3 out of 13 isn’t good enough. Should be winning 8-10 of those games.

I seriously can’t see Moore getting anything like the required level of consistency in results. Under him we will probably finish 10-12th, maybe have an outside shot at 6th but probability of promotion is 5-10%. That’s not good enough at all.. we should be going for top 2 with the play offs as the fallback 

After all the off field troubles and the complete clear out and addition of 14 new players. I think it’s very naive to think we should be storming the division.

Should we be doing better? Probably. But I’m under no illusion that this season was going to be straightforward.

People forget that only a few months ago we almost had a player mutiny on our hands and another points deduction for not paying staff. The club was on its arse, the rebuild will take time and won’t be instantaneous. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Football is never a clear trajectory. It's not as though we will suddenly be progressing every game from now. 

Factor in tougher opponents, other teams also gelling and getting stronger, our regular rotation of injuries and our proven soft underbelly to gain points from losing positions and lose points from winning positions and it doesn't spell promotion to me. Having said that I'd settle for 6th and at the moment that spot seems wide open. Lets hope we learn how to score goals and be more consistent ASAP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Some hyperbole about the football being awful.

I thought we played quite well yesterday. Started on the front foot, desperately unlucky to not go ahead when Paterson hit the post. That was an excellent move with some really nice football. Corbeanu was a threat all game. And Bannan kept things ticking over nicely.

The issue is our defence letting us down. We conceded from a set piece. AGAIN. We played right into Steve Evans hands, letting them get the first goal was a shocker. They just time wasted and slowed things down, fans get wound up, players get nervous. It’s a familiar tale. 

Generally I think performances are improving - which is a good sign. Ultimately it is a results based business and we’re drawing too many games. I wasn’t a fan of this 3-5-2 as I thought it wasted our attacking options on the bench, but Moore has got it working so the wing backs get into dangerous areas. Which bodes well.

I would not pull the trigger on the manager while we’re playing like we are. We need Hutchinson back in defence and I’d get Luongo back in the team ASAP. Just for experience and to provide a bit of calm.

Positives - Dunkley playing really well. Johnson actually provides good balance at LCB. Corbeanu looks a real threat at this level. Strikers are scoring goals. Bannan is starting to influence games more and more. Luongo back fit. 

Negatives - set pieces and drawing games. Needs sorting but if we keep playing like we have done in the past two league games - on the front foot, getting crosses in. I think the wins will come.

Good post.

Question though - if you want Hutch back in defence, who drops out?

Hutch is an excellent CB but does Palmer drop out so it’s a right-footer for right-footer, or does our only left-footer drop out? Johnson gets us forward up the left far better than anyone else.

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Good post.

Question though - if you want Hutch back in defence, who drops out?

Hutch is an excellent CB but does Palmer drop out so it’s a right-footer for right-footer, or does our only left-footer drop out? Johnson gets us forward up the left far better than anyone else.

Palmer for me. Johnson is surprisingly doing well at LCB so should stay there. 

Guest LondonOwl313
40 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

After all the off field troubles and the complete clear out and addition of 14 new players. I think it’s very naive to think we should be storming the division.

Should we be doing better? Probably. But I’m under no illusion that this season was going to be straightforward.

People forget that only a few months ago we almost had a player mutiny on our hands and another points deduction for not paying staff. The club was on its arse, the rebuild will take time and won’t be instantaneous. 

Someone on here posted something which showed squad turnover for all of the clubs, think it was minutes played by players who were here last season or something. 

And we weren’t an outlier by any means.. a lot of clubs have changed their sides as much as we have but they all aren’t using it as an excuse. We’ve had 17 games now plus 5 cup games.. 22 games should be more than enough for the squad to have bedded in. And we’re still disjointed.

I just don’t see us going on a 5 game winning run or the like which is what promoted teams tend to do. We rarely score heavily, give lots of late goals away and never come back from behind to win. It’s a real problem 

29 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Palmer for me. Johnson is surprisingly doing well at LCB so should stay there. 

Yes, was about to post the same thing. I think Johnson has been excellent at LCB, so ideally would like to see Hutchinson-Dunkley-Johnson as the back 3.

If Iorfa was fit he could compete with Dunkley for the 'head and block everything' role in the middle (although I think this plays to Dunkley's strengths) and for the RCB role with Hutchinson.

Guest Tactical Bacon

I can't get over what a liability Palmer is at the moment. Not only did he give a free kick away on a player who owned him all afternoon, he then plays him onside for the goal.

Enough of the negatives though.

Marvin Johnson has adapted superbly into the back line, lad deserves some real credit

2 hours ago, northeastowl said:

When Hutch, Luongo, Iorfa, Byers and Windass are back in the team it will make a massive difference. They are 5 massive players to be missing.

Especially Hutch and Iorfa, would make us a he'll if a lot stronger at that back and will make winning games easier. 

The season might be effectively over as far as promotion is concerned by the time they are back

1 hour ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Agree with the ‘ it’s going to take time with the process bit’ Because it’s going to take another season in L1 before every thing clicks into place.Also This obsession with playing out from the back  just doesn’t work in L1 because most L1 teams have worked us out.

I'm not so sure about that. It certainly didn't work, infact it was a disaster early on. Dunkley with the ball at his feet scared me sh1tless, he was dreadful.  That seemed to change about 3 weeks ago, suddenly he was steady then more than that he was comfortable, he even went looking for the ball, opening the angles and inviting the pass. Don't ask me what changed or how it happened, it just did. Now we look much better at it.

If we could get the midfield to move more and open up passing options we will have cracked it.

We aren't fantastic at bringing the ball out but we aren't actually bad at it either.

• Like 1