Jump to content

The football is improving - we are getting there


Recommended Posts

When Hutch, Luongo, Iorfa, Byers and Windass are back in the team it will make a massive difference. They are 5 massive players to be missing.

 

Especially Hutch and Iorfa, would make us a he'll if a lot stronger at that back and will make winning games easier. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

 

I would not pull the trigger on the manager while we’re playing like we are.

 

 

Exactly. I don't understand the mentality of fans who want to want to sack the manager when we're close to the playoffs, on a long unbeaten run, and there are encouraging signs that performances are improving. 

 

  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We did play some good football yesterday but I don't  think we did it enough where we could really hurt them in final third, for all our possession we didn't creat many clear cut chances and we didn't work there goalkeeper enough. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

 

Slowly a corner is being turned, and we have to stick with it.  

 

I do think it's easier to turn draws into wins if the team is playing well. I know it's frustrating, but you get the feeling that with a bit of fine tuning and one or two of our more experienced players available we will start to do so.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought we started off brightly then faded a bit - and crowd reacted accordingly. After they scored we were a bit shell-shocked but got going again. In second half we didn’t work keeper enough but Berahino and Paterson both had glorious chances to do that. 
 

If this performance had come earlier in the season before the run of draws I don’t think it would have drawn much criticism. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

For a while we have had fans on here wanting us to choose a way of playing, all the teams under the umbrella of SWFC play the same way.

Recruit players that can fit the system

Recruit coaches that fit the system

If the main man goes, we recruit someone who has the same philosophy.

 

Southampton did a similar thing.

 

Unfortunately

It takes time to build

Finances are at a stage  where we ate only able to get loans, frees. Making it harder to get the right players in and having to take a risk.

While fans might say they want the above plenty have no patience and are hypocrites.

 

Our history of managers since DC came in.

 

CC - played good football, we recruited players that were technically good had a softish underbelly so went more pragmatic but again the steel needed was few and far between.

Most players fit the system

 

Jos - Finances went south, had to use the so called lesser player, was ultra pragmatic. Still had less steel but one player had an excellent season and we managed to scrape enough points.

Few players fit the system

 

Monk - Less cagey than Jos. Pragmatic approach was doing well, then it all went pear shaped. Throw in players not getting paid towards the end of his tenure.

Most players fit the system at first but we relied heavily on certain individuals and when they didn't play it showed. Then nothing appeared to make sense

 

Pulis - Route one 

Not one player was ideal, not sure what he was thinking of.

 

Moore - Wants to play possession football, wants the whole of SWFC to play possession football

I would have said few players fit the system but there are signs some of getting used to it. It is slowly, oh so slowly  getting there. A bit like our approach play. Who would have thought a back 3 of Palmer, Dunkley and Johnson looks fairly comfortable. 

 

 

With the lack of funds and the sorry state of the squad, added to a change in the way we play I thought we would finish just outside the top ten but if it clicked straight away an outside chance of the play offs.

 

Lastly on here I read that this player isn't good enough, that player isn't good enough. Go through the forum and we would probably find all the squad isn't good enough.

Then you see the same people saying, with this squad Moore should be doing better.

 

So the question is do we stick to the blueprint or throw it out of the window?

 

 

 

You missed out Bruce 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, PriceAPP said:

You missed out Bruce 

 

 

You're right I did.

Bruce - Fairly pragmatic in his approach but wanted a strong athletic team. He brought in players that would fit the system.

Some players fit the system. He brought in, brought back players that would fit the system.

A shame he didn't stick around long enough to see what could have happened.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Some hyperbole about the football being awful.

 

I thought we played quite well yesterday. Started on the front foot, desperately unlucky to not go ahead when Paterson hit the post. That was an excellent move with some really nice football. Corbeanu was a threat all game. And Bannan kept things ticking over nicely.

 

The issue is our defence letting us down. We conceded from a set piece. AGAIN. We played right into Steve Evans hands, letting them get the first goal was a shocker. They just time wasted and slowed things down, fans get wound up, players get nervous. It’s a familiar tale. 
 

Generally I think performances are improving - which is a good sign. Ultimately it is a results based business and we’re drawing too many games. I wasn’t a fan of this 3-5-2 as I thought it wasted our attacking options on the bench, but Moore has got it working so the wing backs get into dangerous areas. Which bodes well.

 

I would not pull the trigger on the manager while we’re playing like we are. We need Hutchinson back in defence and I’d get Luongo back in the team ASAP. Just for experience and to provide a bit of calm.

 

Positives - Dunkley playing really well. Johnson actually provides good balance at LCB. Corbeanu looks a real threat at this level. Strikers are scoring goals. Bannan is starting to influence games more and more. Luongo back fit. 

 

Negatives - set pieces and drawing games. Needs sorting but if we keep playing like we have done in the past two league games - on the front foot, getting crosses in. I think the wins will come.

 

 

20 odd shot's at goal, only 9 on target, scored one. The forwards are scoring goals?.

How is the defence letting the team down?, more the forwards, or lack of, are letting the team down

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Some hyperbole about the football being awful.

 

I thought we played quite well yesterday. Started on the front foot, desperately unlucky to not go ahead when Paterson hit the post. That was an excellent move with some really nice football. Corbeanu was a threat all game. And Bannan kept things ticking over nicely.

 

The issue is our defence letting us down. We conceded from a set piece. AGAIN. We played right into Steve Evans hands, letting them get the first goal was a shocker. They just time wasted and slowed things down, fans get wound up, players get nervous. It’s a familiar tale. 
 

Generally I think performances are improving - which is a good sign. Ultimately it is a results based business and we’re drawing too many games. I wasn’t a fan of this 3-5-2 as I thought it wasted our attacking options on the bench, but Moore has got it working so the wing backs get into dangerous areas. Which bodes well.

 

I would not pull the trigger on the manager while we’re playing like we are. We need Hutchinson back in defence and I’d get Luongo back in the team ASAP. Just for experience and to provide a bit of calm.

 

Positives - Dunkley playing really well. Johnson actually provides good balance at LCB. Corbeanu looks a real threat at this level. Strikers are scoring goals. Bannan is starting to influence games more and more. Luongo back fit. 

 

Negatives - set pieces and drawing games. Needs sorting but if we keep playing like we have done in the past two league games - on the front foot, getting crosses in. I think the wins will come.

 

 

I got as far as our defence let us down

 

playing 3 at the back consisting of a right back, centre back and left winger when we had a young central defender on the bench.

 

what let us down was poor team set up and once again the wrong formation and personnel from the start.

 

Even with the injuries we should have more than enough in the squad to win these games Bannan, Wing and Paterson need to improve consistency quickly, 50 games between them and just 4 goals is simple not good enough at this level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

 

Unfortunately

It takes time to build

Finances are at a stage  where we ate only able to get loans, frees. Making it harder to get the right players in and having to take a risk.

 

 

 

^^ This

 

People conveniently forget that we had a massive clear out at the end of last season, but didn't have the resources to recruit comparable players.

 

We've had to work with frees and loans. A hastily assembled bargain basement bunch. There are some potentially good players among them, and some speculative signings as well. Some may come good, others won't, others may return to their parent clubs. So we may end up with a couple of decent recruits but have to continue the process next year. Two steps forward, one step back if you like.

 

It's going to take time.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

 

 

^^ This

 

People conveniently forget that we had a massive clear out at the end of last season, but didn't have the resources to recruit comparable players.

 

We've had to work with frees and loans. A hastily assembled bargain basement bunch. There are some potentially good players among them, and some speculative signings as well. Some may come good, others won't, others may return to their parent clubs. So we may end up with a couple of decent recruits but have to continue the process next year. Two steps forward, one step back if you like.

 

It's going to take time.

Agree with the ‘ it’s going to take time with the process bit’ Because it’s going to take another season in L1 before every thing clicks into place.Also This obsession with playing out from the back  just doesn’t work in L1 because most L1 teams have worked us out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

20 odd shot's at goal, only 9 on target, scored one. The forwards are scoring goals?.

How is the defence letting the team down?, more the forwards, or lack of, are letting the team down

Are you seriously saying that nearly 50 percent of shots on target is poor? You do realise that hitting the post counts as being off target? You can claim that the quality of the shots were poor, fair enough, but not the accuracy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...