Todays Minutes Silence

It seems like we've got some good people at the club at the moment, running the day to day things. Credit to them. Today was fantastic. 

Seeing the Kop get to their feet to clap Cyril was amazing. 

I'm 33 and I cannot imagine being put through at least another 68 years watching this club garymegson

Edited by Owls2k
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, BRADDO said:

Yep, I served too. Had to hide a tear or two but it was really well done. 

Thanks to the club for doing this. 

Absolutely. We don’t always get things right as a country but the way we remember the people who sacrificed for us is special. I was at the steel city derby at the lane other year, Friday night, everyone’s been on the lash all day, yet you could hear a pin drop when it was time to remember. It means the world to some of us. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, OohhJohnnyJohnny said:

Absolutely. We don’t always get things right as a country but the way we remember the people who sacrificed for us is special. I was at the steel city derby at the lane other year, Friday night, everyone’s been on the lash all day, yet you could hear a pin drop when it was time to remember. It means the world to some of us. 

Absolutely mate. 

Can anyone help me to work out what the order was yesterday.

Usually at remembrance events it's,

They shall not grow old....

Last Post

One minute or two minutes silence

Reveille

It doesn't matter but I think yesterday what happened was 

Referee's whistle

Last Post

Referee's whistle

ie not an actual silence

Can anyone else correct me and tell me if that's the usual procedure.

My son said we always do the same but I'm not so sure.

Thanks

Edited by Rev Owl
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, Nero said:

Brilliantly done. 👏 

Loved the way the club responded today and the 101 year old d day fella was terrific. Last Post brought a lump to my throat as i thought about my great grandad who fell at Ypres in WW1.

Well done to all concerned.

Said my goodbyes to two friends from the Army who passed since we met 2 years ago,Sat night in Blackpool.A long way to go but i felt i owed it to them,and their family.Last post played followed by Reville,and 2 minutes silence.

A time to reflect & remember    

As it all starts to look threatening again in Europe,Poland.Belarus....I hope it all doesnt kick off again

• Like 2

never served, just got a couple of long passed uncles who served, Me Dad was Irish..so obviously...like..he didn't

but 

The Last post?

how haunting is that tune?

You simply have little grey pictures in your head of working class blokes thrown into summat you couldn't imagine in your worst nightmares, fighting against something , had it come to pass , we wouldn't probably be tip tapping what we tip tap out on here.

You can argue the t *ss over whether its right or wrong today, ...but yesterday?

..it was necessary...

and we are lucky to have had people to fight for us then

Edited by asteener1867
  • Love 3

What always gets me when I see football teams commemorate Remembrance Day is that 100 or so years ago, they would have been fighting in the trenches. Not all on the same side either. And they would have been fighting alongside literal children. So many working-class men and boys treated as disposable cannon fodder by the higher ups. I watched the Passchendaele commemoration a few years ago and it made me cry my eyes out.

And as a Jew, the slogan 'never again' has a double meaning for me as well.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

On 13/11/2021 at 19:03, Nero said:

Brilliantly done. 👏 

Loved the way the club responded today and the 101 year old d day fella was terrific. Last Post brought a lump to my throat as i thought about my great grandad who fell at Ypres in WW1.

Well said!👍

It was the best part of the day IMO.

It was an extremely moving experience and very well handled, by all concerned.

• Like 1

On 13/11/2021 at 19:03, Nero said:

Brilliantly done. 👏 

Agreed I thought it was excellently staged and observed by both sets of fans. Well done one and all.