WEDNESDAY -V- GILLINGHAM - OMDT

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

Then you add today's result to the ******** we've had this season against other bottom half sides and today's result is tragic. 

Result isn't good but the performance today overall was excellent.

Only area we didn't perform in was taking chances and that's not down to Moore it's missing ingredient.

Paterson takes either of those two good chances and we win comfortably.  

We won't win every game, some days your luck is out, today one of those days but keep up performance's like that and Sunderland game then with  Gregory and windass back well win a hell of a lot of games in 2nd half of the season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Agreed - and on merit as well, which is the most disappointing aspect.

Started going to matches in the 1970’s which were the bad old days and this season is starting feel like that awful period unless DC swallows his pride and gives DM the bullet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

Then you add today's result to the ******** we've had this season against other bottom half sides and today's result is tragic. 

I really don't know how to feel about it.

We've lost 1 in 11 league games... objectively fantastic. We've won 3 in 13 league games... objectively awful. A point against Gillingham feels like the latest in a line of results that aren't good enough. Are we expecting too much with the squad we have, especially when considering 3 CBs and 2 of our best attackers out? It just doesn't seem good enough regardless... our wage budget must be one of if not the highest in the division.

Our inability to attack teams that sit deep and look to absorb the pressure (which most will against us this season) is so f*cking crippling to any hopes of a good campaign. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Only area we didn't perform in was taking chances and that's not down to Moore it's missing ingredient.

We won't win every game, some days your luck is out, today one of those days but keep up performance's like that and Sunderland game then with  Gregory and windass back well win a hell of a lot of games in 2nd half of the season.

I think with performances like that we're more likely to turn draws into wins than draws into defeats. We've just got to keep our heads up and keep plugging away.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Bit over top mate, on balance we've battered them today, possession, chances, attempts etc.

Lack of quality up front did it, few times kamberi and Paterson made same runs and got in each others way in box, no understanding.

Nothing wrong approach or set up just missing quality to take the chances.

Overall better today than against Sunderland in many ways.

i disagree, all teams we play know how we set up so they in yer face & force errors. It's happened many times where we lose the ball yet he thinks we are Brazil in league 1. The players we have could be utilised better with a higher tempo an a little more direct getting early crosses in like v Sunderland where we played better but he reverted back to his way cos its his way or the highway

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Most other days? That's the issue mate, we've only won 6 out of 18 all season. So actually on most other days we don't win it. Which is the issue. Which is why not winning it today was poo . 

Some overreacting tonight.

I wanted Moore gone after the Cheltenham game, but looking at Sunderland, Plymouth and today's performances we are looking so much better and more positive that at start of the season.

Personally don't think any team in league will get more points than us 2nd half of the season and no way we finish outside top 6.

Small steps forward in the sense that we’ve once again gained something from a losing position which isn’t our forte and another game unbeaten without our best keeper, defender and striker. I still think we’ll get stronger as the season goes on but it won’t stop some shouting for Moore’s head tonight. 

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

I really don't know how to feel about it.

We've lost 1 in 11 league games... objectively fantastic. We've won 3 in 13 league games... objectively awful. A point against Gillingham feels like the latest in a line of results that aren't good enough. Are we expecting too much with the squad we have, especially when considering 3 CBs and 2 of our best attackers out? It just doesn't seem good enough regardless... our wage budget must be one of if not the highest in the division.

Our inability to attack teams that sit deep and look to absorb the pressure (which most will against us this season) is so f*cking crippling to any hopes of a good campaign. 

Injuries aside, because plenty of other teams are having those issues, I think a lot of fans are getting the same feeling from the manager and this squad. The feeling that they are a soft touch when it matters, they won't be able to rescue games and points when it matters and that the manager seems to think we are playing and performing excellently when we are getting draws against poo teams. Overall those aren't the standards of a team that wants to get promoted. Chris Wilder would scoff at that as much as it pains me to bring him up as an example. For me, I'm frustrated because I you just sense that this team are not up to it 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Started going to matches in the 1970’s which were the bad old days and this season is starting feel like that awful period unless DC swallows his pride and gives DM the bullet.

Save Our Owls! 🙁

Maybe not quite that bad yet, but I take your point.  I can’t see any way this manager / team gets promotion this season.  I wouldn’t mind so much if we were seeing decent performances, but on the whole we’re very poor, and missing a real opportunity to bounce straight back. 

4 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

I think very good point, we have struggled all season with scoring goals, having both gregory and Windass not available is always going to make things difficult.  You can't get a decent goal scorer or no money.  I have always thought we need to be there or there abouts till Windass comes back and then hope the he will make the difference and score goals for fun in the league.  So far we are pretty much on track...   Given that we had no money to spend automatic places were always going to be a stretch.  How many times have we seen though teams that are comfortably in the playoffs or even in auto places in November end up mid table by the end of the season.  No need to panic and today was a point rescued, we would not have always even been able to do that, we carry on our unbeaten run.

3 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I think with performances like that we're more likely to turn draws into wins than draws into defeats. We've just got to keep our heads up and keep plugging away.

Exactly, so much better than Shrewsbury game for example.  

Worrying thing few weeks ago was performances were awful and seemed no plan.  

• Like 1

I think the acceptance from our chairman and even more so from our own fans of continual poo results and performances is really depressing.

There is literally zero winning mentality around this club. This league is dogshite, we should be putting teams like them to the sword, and we are miles off the pace. The players and management should be embarrassed. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Some overreacting tonight.

I wanted Moore gone after the Cheltenham game, but looking at Sunderland, Plymouth and today's performances we are looking so much better and more positive that at start of the season.

Personally don't think any team in league will get more points than us 2nd half of the season and no way we finish outside top 6.

I hope you're right but the last sentence has to based on very little other than blind hope and optimism. For me a couple of good performances a third of the way into the season against a crumbling Sunderland and Plymouth (where we still didn't win the game) are a million miles away from providing any evidence that this lot can be a top team in the 2nd half of the year. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Truth is out there said:

Thanks awfully

One other thing if you don’t mind:

Am I correct in my assumption that any such conclusion can only be reached at the conclusion of the game & irrespective of the performance witnessed

Drawing too many games against teams that were there for taking ie Morecombe, Shrewsbury , Lincoln, Gillingham Etc plus DM’s Stubborness in persisting in playing from the back in a notoriously difficult division in which to play in more or less says it all on why we stuttering in L1 just like in 2003/04 and 2010/11.

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

I hope you're right but the last sentence has to based on very little other than blind hope and optimism. For me a couple of good performances a third of the way into the season against a crumbling Sunderland and Plymouth (where we still didn't win the game) are a million miles away from providing any evidence that this lot can be a top team in the 2nd half of the year. 

Based on a brand new squad starting to gel with best attacking player due back very soon.swap Paterson and kamberi today for windass and Gregory and we win that in a canter.