Flight Changes/Cancellations

Bez

Got a ski holiday booked in Jan but had 5 different flight changes/cancellations since booking.

Latest one was today - BA moved half the group to an earlier flight and then refused compensation/refunds because they were only moved 4 hours.

Holidays need certainty so struggling with the big knock on affect of these constant changes!

Booked flights to Fort Myers 4 months ago for next April.

We were going Manchester - Atalanta - Fort Myers.

I had an email on Monday warning me that our flight had been changed and we would miss our connection in Atlanta. This was because we were now booked on a flight from Manchester which left the day after the connection!

After 3 hours on live chat with Delta we now leave from Manchester an hour earlier than originally but now change in Amsterdam as well as Atlanta.

They wanted an additional $252 which I politely said I wasn't prepared to pay but an upgrade would be nice. They indeed upgraded us to Premium select seats for both cross Atlantic flights.

Plenty of time for more changes yet though .

Edited by BIG D

13 hours ago, BIG D said:

I had an email on Monday warning me that our flight had been changed and we would miss our connection in Atlanta. This was because we were now booked on a flight from Manchester which left the day after the connection!

After 3 hours on live chat with Delta we now leave from Manchester an hour earlier than originally but now change in Amsterdam as well as Atlanta.

They wanted an additional $252 which I politely said I wasn't prepared to pay but an upgrade would be nice. They indeed upgraded us to Premium select seats for both cross Atlantic flights.

Why did they want to charge you for their flight changes?  If theres no seats its their duty to find you one even if its nearer the front.

1 minute ago, acquiescefc said:

Why did they want to charge you for their flight changes?  If theres no seats its their duty to find you one even if its nearer the front.

No idea mate. They also said if we cancelled we could have an ‘E credit’ to be used before the end of next year so obviously trying it on.

The 3 hours of live chat was horrendous. Ages between replies and not answering my questions. 

OK i mean its there job to reseat you.  they may give you the a really bad connection and the extra was for a better one but yeah was curious.

Call centres are generally in low cost countries and yeah they dont do responsive very well.

My tip would be to find your own connection using their partners and suggest it to them.  Makes their job easier if you can tell em an itinerary.

19 hours ago, BIG D said:

Looks like Virgin was planning for daily MAN-ATL flights in April (hence allowing you to book that route on your chosen day), but has now made a decision to keep the frequency at 3x per week. So now needs to send you on a extra stop on your chosen day.

They are cheeky ******** asking you to pay more to fly via Amsterdam. I could almost understand if the rerouting incurred higher aviation taxes (which they weren’t retaining, but simply passing on), but the additional Dutch aviation tax would only be €7.85.

The owls are not what they seem.

Considering the upgrade I’m ok with the additional stop. We fly at 09.00 instead of 10.20 but end up on the original flight from Atlanta to Fort Myers. I was originally very pi55ed off though 😄. When I try and book the seats from Manchester to Amsterdam it wants to charge me $11 per seat. I’ve tried calling Delta but I end up with a message that says the waiting time is more than 40 minutes (once it was more than 10 minutes) and then asks you to call back later! I almost can’t be bothered.

Now a decent annual travel insurance company please for 2 mature travellers ( 1 with a bit of an issue but not serious)

They should work nicely.

Airlines sometimes like to offer just 1 hour connection times at the U.S. port of entry and that’s rarely enough to go through immigration and customs and get to your next gate.

• Thanks 1

The owls are not what they seem.