Steven Gerrard

FreshOwl

3 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

Some bookies have stopped taking bets on GVB. Looks nailed on to go back to Ibrox 

Randomly one of the few footballers I have ever got to know a bit, albeit in his Arsenal days.

One of the nicest people in professional sport I have ever met.  No ego, not focused on money , and bright.  He is a bit like Gareth Southgate seems to be.  Sort of person you could not have imagined being a manager 20 years ago, but the job has changed and having someone with that sort of personality might be a great move in the modern game.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Randomly one of the few footballers I have ever got to know a bit, albeit in his Arsenal days.

One of the nicest people in professional sport I have ever met.  No ego, not focused on money , and bright.  He is a bit like Gareth Southgate seems to be.  Sort of person you could not have imagined being a manager 20 years ago, but the job has changed and having someone with that sort of personality might be a great move in the modern game.

How do you know him?

In Gerrard’s favour, Rangers had some excellent results in Europe. 

They have got positive results against Standard Liege, Villareal, Porto, Benfica, Braga, Antwerp, Legia Warsaw, Lech Poznan, Feyenoord, Young Boys, Galatasaray and Slavia Prague. All of these teams are in stronger leagues than Rangers but Rangers have outperformed their ranking. That shows he could be capable, and has the experience managing a big club.

16 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

On what basis?

The guy has won nothing in his entire career!

On the basis he has done very well in a more competitive league and handled the pressure of taking villa up. 

What had Gerrard won before he went? Or Rodgers before he went to Celtic? Or O'Neil? Etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

How do you know him?

Well I don’t anymore.

i knew him when he was in London playing for arsenal , and kept in touch over email  shortly afterwards when he was at Barcelona. He was a friend of a friend that’s all.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

On the basis he has done very well in a more competitive league and handled the pressure of taking villa up. 

What had Gerrard won before he went? Or Rodgers before he went to Celtic? Or O'Neil? Etc. 

Gerrard and O’Neill won loads as players, O’Neill won a couple of cups with Leicester too before he went to Glasgow to manage. They have that winning mentality. Rodgers had a connection with Celtic and was a Celtic fan so that’s completely different. 

Smith has no connection, no history, and no big time or big club experience. Trust me, Rangers won’t touch him with a barge pole.

1 minute ago, edinburghowl said:

Gerrard and O’Neill won loads as players, O’Neill won a couple of cups with Leicester too before he went to Glasgow to manage. They have that winning mentality. Rodgers had a connection with Celtic and was a Celtic fan so that’s completely different. 

Smith has no connection, no history, and no big time or big club experience. Trust me, Rangers won’t touch him with a barge pole.

What did Mourinho win as a player? Or Klopp?

13 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Not saying they would touch him, just my opinion that Smith would be a good manager for them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Don’t get me wrong I agree Rangers will go nowhere near him but Villa are a big club. Far bigger than they are given credit for in modern football and despite losing his job he was a success. 

9 minutes ago, HullOwlPhil said:

What did Mourinho win as a player? Or Klopp?

lol Are you saying that Dean Smith is a candidate to go on and win loads of trophies as a manager like Mourinho and Klopp?

The guys win% is absolutely poo , and that on top of the other things I mentioned is why Rangers wouldn’t even look at him.

For clubs like Rangers (rightly or wrongly) that’s what they’re interested in. Winning is everything. Dean Smith’s CV would be in the bin as soon as he sent it.

Irrespective of the league they play in, Rangers are a club that compete for and expect multiple domestic honours per season and progression/competitiveness in Europe. 

They're going to want someone with either the experience of doing that already, or with a playing career/coaching profile that they think could (like Gerrard). Dean Smith falls short of either standard.

Gio Van Bronckhurst is the bookies favourite at the minute. That's more like it. He's won the league in Holland hasn't he?

Just now, sheffield_dave said:

Irrespective of the league they play in, Rangers are a club that compete for and expect multiple domestic honours per season and progression/competitiveness in Europe. 

They're going to want someone with either the experience of doing that already, or with a playing career/coaching profile that they think could (like Gerrard). Dean Smith falls short of either standard.

Gio Van Bronckhurst is the bookies favourite at the minute. That's more like it. He's won the league in Holland hasn't he?

That’s what I was trying to say.

And aye, GVB has won trophies at Rangers, Arsenal and Barcelona as a player, and at Feyenoord as a manager. That’s the sort of man they’ll be after and what their fans will expect.