Steven Gerrard

FreshOwl

Appointed Villa Manager 

Not sure on this. I would have stayed at Rangers and gone for back to back titles, and to continue progression. We all know how cut throat the premier league is 

Also, hasn’t he only won 1 trophy in 3 years there? I’m sure I read that St Johnstone have won more in that time 

Is he ready? If this goes ******** up, he can wave away any hopes of the Liverpool job for the foreseeable future 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Time to recycle the old, "I can see Gerrard slipping up there." comment.

34 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I can see Gerrard slipping up there. 

You’re recycling it yourself old bean. 🤪

Anyway, how will it be measured if Gerard is a success or not? Can’t expect them to be challenging for major honours.

Then again, I’d probably have said the same about West Ham previously and now look at them.

• Haha 4

Gerrard must be pinching himself. Rangers have looked poo in recent weeks, they’re clearly struggling to maintain last season’s standards, they’ve got huge debts mounting up off the pitch, he has spent tens of millions yet won 1 trophy available out of 9. As said above that’s less than Callum Davidson managed at St Johnstone in 1 season.

And despite all of that and he’s walking straight into a Premier League job. Incredible.

• Like 1

I’ll be honest I’m a bit gutted. Rangers might actually appoint a decent manager now that gets them firing again. A great player but I don’t rate Gerrard as a manager at all. He has 100% left at the best time for his sake.

After their shaky start Celtic looked like they were going to win the title back this year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Gerrard must be pinching himself. Rangers have looked poo in recent weeks, they’re clearly struggling to maintain last season’s standards, they’ve got huge debts mounting up off the pitch, he has spent tens of millions yet won 1 trophy available out of 9. As said above that’s less than Callum Davidson managed at St Johnstone in 1 season.

And despite all of that and he’s walking straight into a Premier League job. Incredible.

Ole and Lampard walked straight into jobs at huge PL clubs.

The same will happen to Gerrard in a few years.

It's an interesting one for VIlla, they have the money to spend but havent been able to attract the players they want. Have they taken that as "no one knows who Dean Smith is, lets get a big name in"?

Gerrard has the status and the connections to get bigger name players to Villa. He needs to get his coaching team right and he could do well. Rangers won the league by  a lot last year but the standard in that league might be the lowest it's ever been right now. Very difficult to judge him based on that even if they went unbeaten - as they had no one to compete against.

Villa is a huge club. Historically they bigger than Chelsea or Man City. If Gerrard keeps them up (cant see it being a problem with the squad they have) and then gets them trending in the right direction then his stock goes up. He couldn't turn it down.

• Like 1

For me it’s a mad idea-if he did a reasonable job at Rangers as he is doing winning a title after all they have been through he would be a shoe in for the Liverpool job

he now has to do a really good job at Villa to be Liverpool manager which is a much bigger task than managing Rangers