What could Moore take from tonight in terms of the first team season??

7 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

Moore could take a lesson or two from the opposing manager, who not only set his side up to attack, did so quite impressively on many occasions.

They walked through our midfield and defence like it was butter at times.

Did they have better players?  Or were they just encouraged to attack more, be more offensive?

Moore is a joke of a manager - we need someone forward thinking, may I suggest someone like Weaver?!

Today we won 4-0 but looked absolutely laboured for it.

Yeah, we looked like we were a bunch of guys who had never played together competitively before, and Harrogate didn't.  Actually, it was worse than that, it was like some of them had hardly even trained together.

If the manager had played a first team, someone would have called him a joke for doing that.

You'd  be forgiven for thinking that whatever he does, the guy just can't win; but he did.

Is that ....?  Hang on .... that's coffee, isn't It?  Can you smell coffee?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

I liken Berahino to when we had spunked a lot of cash on Gerald Sibon, got relegated and he was struggling for form - we just had to play him to get something out of him.

I think Saido Berahino is a similar player - sure we haven't payed for him, but he has the ability, just not the confidence.

Sibon was the best player at the club by an absolute mile for the entire duration of his time at the club.

Aside fro Di Canio, the best we've seen at Hillsborough since the heady days of Hirst, Waddle, Sheridan, Walker, Nilsson...etc.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Tonight's starting line up told me that Gregory and Kamberi will quite rightly keep their places and start the game on Saturday. Josh Windass will soon be back to full fitness and that leaves one of either Sow or Berahino from tonight's front two, fighting for the bench.

Tonight should be clear to Moore who will be better use for the first team. Both scored but only one moved about, got in behind quite a few times and looked liked he could impact a league game for us with this type of movement (maybe as an impact sub when the game is stretched). That was Sow. Head and shoulders above Berahino. He may have scored the tap in due to Jack Hunt feeling very generous but his all round game was as shocking as ever. Sow deserves to be on the bench Saturday ahead of Berahino.

Massimo Luongo - What an improvement on Wing he will be if we can keep him fit. Luongo sitting with Bannan and Adrenian/FDB roaming or even the chance to drop Bannan and have Adrenian/FDB roaming with his protection. It allows us to keep Bannan on his toes more which can only be a good thing. Luongo has been out for so long I almost forgot how good he is. He is known for his tenacity but he is also a very good player, can see a pass and can also drive forward.

Hunt looks way off the pace. I cannot see him being here after his one year deal. Patterson has that spot in the league for now. I can see why Brown is not given loads of chances by Moore, looks erratic and suspect. Johnson better.

Wildsmith looking composed and good as ever with the ball at feet. Most of us won't be too concerned that BPF is away, a testament to Wildsmith as well as the erratic displays from BPF.

Brennan looks a real prospect. Let's get him tied down to a long deal and out to League 2 in Jan, if we get our CBs back.

I think they would be the things Moore would have seen from tonight.

The main one being Berahino is not good enough at all.

Knowing Moore, absolutely NOTHING

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ian said:

We’ve now played 4 games this season without Bannan.

Played 4 

won 4

points 12

Goals for 11

Goals against 2

I like Bannan, I really do.  He’s probably the most skilful player we’ve had for years.  But your stats are thought provoking. To me, when he’s on the pitch, it seems sometimes that others look for him when there’s a far better pass on. Whether it’s him demanding the ball, instructions from DM, or players justlooking for a safe option I don’t know. He gets blamed for slowing the play down but if some of the others would act on first instinct rather than looking for Baz, we might have a quicker transition from defence to attack.

• Like 3

Guest DoesJackHunt
2 hours ago, modboy said:

Buy that Paterson from Harrogate if we are ever allowed to spend some money.

This was my overwhelming take away from tonight. Does anyone know anything about him? 

Pleased with lots of things tonight, Brennan, Waldock, Luongo and Wildsmith all did well and we took our chances. 

Guest DoesJackHunt
8 hours ago, Ian said:

We’ve now played 4 games this season without Bannan.

Played 4 

won 4

points 12

Goals for 11

Goals against 2

Just hold your horses there Ian. 
who were the opposition in those games? 
I think that may have had more of a bearing on those stats than the fact that we didn’t play Bannan

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I do love this forum.

An opposing team have just set up so badly against us that they've shipped four goals to a bunch of our squad players and U23s, with their manager saying he's 'embarrassed' by their defending...and we have a shout to employ him as our manager.

Brilliant stuff, it really is.

:duntmatter:

Lets face it. When some of our fans are calling for Mick McCarthy to be our manager - without a trace of irony - you've got to question how deeply they think these things through.

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, DoesJackHunt said:

Just hold your horses there Ian. 
who were the opposition in those games? 
I think that may have had more of a bearing on those stats than the fact that we didn’t play Bannan

You can only beat what’s in front of you ….Wigan were top of the league when we played them away

• Like 1

Guest DoesJackHunt
7 minutes ago, Ian said:

You can only beat what’s in front of you ….Wigan were top of the league when we played them away

It’s not a fair reflection Ian, that’s my point. 

52 minutes ago, doubleo said:

I like Bannan, I really do.  He’s probably the most skilful player we’ve had for years.  But your stats are thought provoking. To me, when he’s on the pitch, it seems sometimes that others look for him when there’s a far better pass on. Whether it’s him demanding the ball, instructions from DM, or players justlooking for a safe option I don’t know. He gets blamed for slowing the play down but if some of the others would act on first instinct rather than looking for Baz, we might have a quicker transition from defence to attack.

Yes Wigan was a good win, but the other 3: 

Mansfield

Newcastle U21s

Harrogate

Thats no indication of us being better without Barry Bannan. We should be beating them with or without him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Yes Wigan was a good win, but the other 3: 

Mansfield

Newcastle U21s

Harrogate

Thats no indication of us being better without Barry Bannan. We should be beating them with or without him.

Sunderland (above us in the league) should be beating Mansfield as well……but they didn’t

3 hours ago, 1867tim said:

Yeah, we looked like we were a bunch of guys who had never played together competitively before, and Harrogate didn't.  Actually, it was worse than that, it was like some of them had hardly even trained together.

I agree with the point you’re making, but it shouldn’t be any surprise that it looked like we hadn’t played together before, because many hadn’t…

Wildsmith: a handful of games all season

Back three: one just back from loan, one U23 regular, one first team fringe player (and normally further forward)

Midfield: Two players getting their second game after weeks (months?) out, the other just back from loan

That leaves four players: wing backs and up front, all in and out of the first team. None proving their worth whenever given a chance.

So it’s no surprise that we looked like a group of strangers.

Like most on here, I came away satisfied with the score and some individual performances, but relieved that we didn’t get beat. 

I was impressed with Brennan and Agbonlohoma, but how can we say the defence played well when our keeper was by far and away the motm? Probably because they were let down by the awful Brown, two wing backs that were almost as bad, and the inability of Luongo / Byers to protect the back line. We had some sound individual performances, but as a team we were seriously lacking due, in part, to the fact that the players were relative strangers.