Dunkley - what an improvement

Didn't he have two broken legs before he came to us? That needs some consistency and patience from a recovery perspective.

Darren Moore didn't really help him by throwing him in against Derby on the final day neither.

He's absolutely fine for this level.

Guest Jack the Hat
12 hours ago, The coach said:

Just use him to d3fend..let him defend..stop asking him pass for passings sake and he will be fine

^^^ This . And he will probs start weighing in with a few goals from set pieces as well.

Yes, the OP is spot on - he’s grown in confidence and stature as the season has unfolded. Should be one of the first names on the team sheet now IMHO.

I’m not sure he’ll be able to manage 3 games in a week though, so I’d let him sit out the Harrogate game and perhaps the Plymouth replay as well.

13 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

Could have cost us a couple of goals today but yes he has improved.

Just a season too late 

I mean who the feck would sign a player with pins still in a broken leg 

Horific signing, one of the main factors that cost us our championship status 

yep we went down because of one injured defender 🤦🏼‍♂️

14 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

Could have cost us a couple of goals today but yes he has improved.

Just a season too late 

I mean who the feck would sign a player with pins still in a broken leg 

Horific signing, one of the main factors that cost us our championship status 

I think Dunkley has improved.  But your analysis is correct IMO - there were a few time during the game when he got away with it.  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Not like you to change your mind.....

image.png.1350b655914d86d100260654cf7f8a7b.png

Just last month you said he should be nowhere near the team if Gibson is fit.

lol

Opinions can change. I rated the Dunkley signing at the time - I’m sure you could find posts from when he joined but that doesn’t suit your narrative! 

I’d have preferred to have kept Shaw and Urhoghide over him though. Still stand by that. Both in fact I think could have been great options for us in a 3-5-2 this season - with age on their side to develop too. 

He's improved in the team, and perhaps has rediscovered the form he had at Wigan. His injury would have took some time to recover, so maybe we are now reaping the benefits.

He's very dominant in the air and seems to be our only goal threat from set pieces.

I have been shocked by Dunkley.

Not getting carried away just yet but he has gone from a real concern to almost someone I see on the team sheet and feel happy about.

He was even bringing the ball out of defence on the weekend. He is looking more mobile, winning his headers (cleanly now) and leading by example.

Have to say if keeps playing like this we will have a chance.

• Like 1

Think it might be a case that we’re getting the ball forward quicker and his role be aimed more focused on actually defending than trying out be a playmaker all game 

he’s a good defender if we let him do his job 

This is his level ? Also he’s better in the centre or the right hand side ..not playing on the left which you can see he’s totally uncomfortable with? Some players it doesn’t matter others it does . As someone said atm palmer and Johnson have enough pace to cover most mistakes. But hats off to him he looks a lot better than a few weeks ago

Guest Willow Owl
20 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Said it weeks ago he’ll be fine at this level

He’s also not playing off his left side which makes a massive difference to him

Agree with this 100% 

On 07/11/2021 at 20:24, Owly Mowly said:

He’s comfortable in that centre role 

I said it before, if you let him be a defender and done ask him to come out with the ball, then he is ok, ask him to be a ball playing defender and he looks awful. 

The fact he has Palmer on one side and Johnson on the other side, 2 players that are better then him with the ball at their feet, has helped him out no end.

On 07/11/2021 at 20:11, Holmowl said:

Massive hats-off to Chey.

Not been a fan but these past few games the fella has been an absolute rock. It’s like he’s had a transfusion of super-power blood - first to every ball, wins every header….immense.

Its really odd. He’s now our only CB. He’s got a FB and a LW alongside him, and it actually looks ok, which is huge credit to Chey. He’s also quite clearly captain without the armband. He’s always talking, encouraging and the first to heap congratulations on others.

And, as if that isn’t enough, what the flip has happened to his distribution? He looks a different player on the ball. Cool, confident, happy to pass or drive forward.

Top man. I’ve never doubted his wholehearted defending, though even that is even more whole-hearted, but he’s become an all round top player recently. So impressed.

I noticed that in the last game. Made himself available for the pass and went looking for the ball. Didn't give me the fits he normally does.

He was desperately poor with the ball at his feet before, an accident waiting to happen.