Yorkshire banned from holding test matchs

Geedee

1 hour ago, darklord said:

The witchhunt begins

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59227909

ballance suspended for a tweet deleted 11 years ago

I personally know Andrew Gale as I went to school with him and was good friends with him throughout school and still see him occasionally.

Tell me about witch hunt, such a quality lad, top bloke.

I refuse to believe or support this witch hunt.

On 07/11/2021 at 17:33, 2soon said:

are you suggesting racist slurs are ok?

sledging is part of the game, being racist isn't.

no, not at all and apologies if I gave that impression. My point is that there will have been racist tones in sledging but now the ground is mic' ed up this will have gone away.

12 hours ago, Tea Baggins said:

I personally know Andrew Gale as I went to school with him and was good friends with him throughout school and still see him occasionally.

Tell me about witch hunt, such a quality lad, top bloke.

I refuse to believe or support this witch hunt.

That may be so, but there's no excuse for tweeting this nonsense.

Screenshot_20211110-080720_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 hour ago, markowl said:

That may be so, but there's no excuse for tweeting this nonsense.

Screenshot_20211110-080720_Samsung Internet.jpg

He said he was unaware it was an offensive term and when pointed out deleted it.

Do we drag everybody over the coals for stuff a decade ago even after they have learned from the error? Where is the line drawn. Is stuff you did at primary school excusable?

1 minute ago, darklord said:

He said he was unaware it was an offensive term and when pointed out deleted it.

Do we drag everybody over the coals for stuff a decade ago even after they have learned from the error? Where is the line drawn. Is stuff you did at primary school excusable?

How can anyone be unaware that y*d is offensive?

Ignorance is no excuse I'm afraid.

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

I didn't know in 2010 it was offensive, as far as I knew it was something Spurs used to pride themselves on 

Spurs the club, or a certain section of Spurs supporters?

And why am I not surprised you didn't know it was offensive?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markowl said:

Spurs the club, or a certain section of Spurs supporters?

And why am I not surprised you didn't know it was offensive?

It has only been a couple of years since Spurs were pressured to stop using it

In 2010 he obviously didn't get called out on it, so it wasn't an issue at the time

Language evolves

I don't know why you aren't surprised, I am very well versed in knowing what is and isn't offensive language 

4 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

a football club is more than just what the club's official line is, you know that, also what year was that from?

You said Spurs were pressured to stop using it. Spurs the club have said they've never used it.

Which is why I asked you "Spurs the club or supporters?"

There's some defensive posts in this thread. There's no way this person can be racist or that person didn't mean it, etc. The fact is that this has been going on for a very long time and everyone has ignored it. Rafiq has shown his determination and has done what he can to expose it and now the dominoes are starting to fall.

Yorkshire CCC have failed Azeem Rafiq. The ECB has failed Azeem Rafiq. Not to mention the other Asian cricketers who have previously reported racist abuse at YCCC and nothing was done about it. 

The people saying it's a witch hunt or it's not really racist are going to have to defend even more when the full report comes out. There are people in the report, who have not yet been named, who have had the complaints made by Rafiq against them upheld. This is the same report that thought saying the word "P*aki" was banter.

It's not going away for a while, it shouldn't be ignored or dismissed. Hopefully the report gets released in full.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, markowl said:

You said Spurs were pressured to stop using it. Spurs the club have said they've never used it.

Which is why I asked you "Spurs the club or supporters?"

It's irrelevant, it's only been brought to light that it's an offensive term in the mainstream in the last couple of years, so quite reasonable that somebody didn't realise it was offensive in 2010

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

It's irrelevant, it's only been brought to light that it's an offensive term in the mainstream in the last couple of years, so quite reasonable that somebody didn't realise it was offensive in 2010

Are you saying the word yid was acceptable back in 2010?