Yorkshire banned from holding test matchs

Geedee

1 hour ago, Kew Owl said:

I can’t help wondering why this issue was, seemingly, not raised and addressed at the time it occurred.

Did Rafiq confront Ballance at the time and make clear his displeasure at his language and that he found it deeply offensive -  and, if not, why not ?

Always seems rather unsatisfactory to me when issues like this appear out of the woodwork so long after the actual event.

can be loads of reasons why somebody doesn't report an incident at the time

I thought you'd have known that

1 hour ago, Kew Owl said:

I can’t help wondering why this issue was, seemingly, not raised and addressed at the time it occurred.

Did Rafiq confront Ballance at the time and make clear his displeasure at his language and that he found it deeply offensive -  and, if not, why not ?

Always seems rather unsatisfactory to me when issues like this appear out of the woodwork so long after the actual event.

Surely you’re not struggling with that? Look how they’ve tried the sweep it under the carpet now. If he raised it ten years ago my money would be his career got quietly ended back then. I think it says a lot about how bad the culture that he didn’t feel comfortable telling someone he was apparently friends with about how it was impacting him.

The why you’re asking shouldn’t be directed towards him. It should be towards the YCCC and why they did not have an environment where someone suffering from racist abuse could feel comfortable in reporting it.

38 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

Two separate arguments, surely?

Would a similar argument not be someone who is being bullied at work continues to go to that work? 

Not sure. Rafiq invited Ballance to his wedding. Something has clearly changed. Any ideas?

Just now, R-Sole14 said:

He doesn’t hold the same fears that his career will be ended by speaking out.

So if a bloke racially abused you, brought you to tears and ruined your career, you’d invite him to your wedding?

Just now, vulva said:

So if a bloke racially abused you, brought you to tears and ruined your career, you’d invite him to your wedding?

Maybe he felt he had to invite all his teammates? I’m sure a lot of us have played team sports where you’ve got people in your team you don’t like but still feel obligated to invite to things.

Perhaps when Ballance wasn’t making racist comments he was a pretty sound bloke. Perhaps inviting him to his wedding may give him a better appreciation of Rafiq’s culture and he might stop.

It’s easy to stand on the outside and go “Why the fûck did you do that for?” But we can’t possibly know what his motivations were when he invited Ballance to his wedding or when he re-signed for Yorkshire.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, R-Sole14 said:

Maybe he felt he had to invite all his teammates? I’m sure a lot of us have played team sports where you’ve got people in your team you don’t like but still feel obligated to invite to things.

Perhaps when Ballance wasn’t making racist comments he was a pretty sound bloke. Perhaps inviting him to his wedding may give him a better appreciation of Rafiq’s culture and he might stop.

It’s easy to stand on the outside and go “Why the fûck did you do that for?” But we can’t possibly know what his motivations were when he invited Ballance to his wedding or when he re-signed for Yorkshire.

What’s your view on his accusation that picking Kane Williamson over himself was racially motivated?

12 minutes ago, vulva said:

What’s your view on his accusation that picking Kane Williamson over himself was racially motivated?

I don’t know the details behind the accusation. Given it’s Kane Williamson it’s pretty easy to argue that was purely on ability. Could it have been a culmination of things and he felt like they brought Kane Williamson in to help squeeze him out? As I said I don’t know the details behind the accusation and that is purely speculation on my part.

It also doesn’t and shouldn’t take away from the items they found to be true.

4 hours ago, Kew Owl said:

You serious? 

8 hours ago, R-Sole14 said:

I don’t know the details behind the accusation. Given it’s Kane Williamson it’s pretty easy to argue that was purely on ability. Could it have been a culmination of things and he felt like they brought Kane Williamson in to help squeeze him out? As I said I don’t know the details behind the accusation and that is purely speculation on my part.

It also doesn’t and shouldn’t take away from the items they found to be true.

Agree to a point (and a good debate) but in reality Rafiq isn’t fit to lace Williamson’s boots at a cricketing level. Different level, and the accusation of racism on this issue indicates a ‘throw enough mud at the wall’ strategy. 

We’re all guessing, but in my view this is 2 drinking buddies (devout Muslim?) that used to rip the pisss out of each other, and was probably accepted by each other at the time as just that. Nothing more. 

They’ve since had a fallout, he’s fallen into league cricket, got bitter and the rest is getting played out as we speak. Just my view. 

I do actually think the club per se does have major deep rooted issues. Yorkshire is surrounded by a huge vibrant Asian cricket community, and the playing squad should have a far bigger representation. You could argue the same for football clubs like Bradford and Leicester. 

The issues at Yorkshire go far deeper than a couple of drunk lads throwing insults at each other. The old school tie brigade have managed this situation, and the whole race issue very poorly for years, and have rightly now gone. Hopefully it doesn’t damage the club too much because in reality that punishes the genuine cricket fans, 99.9% of whom don’t have a racist bone in their body. 

• Like 1

Vaughan is an idiot.

Can't say I'm exactly shocked to hear he may have used racial slurs as "bantz." Believe the allegation has now been corroborated? 

What an absolute mess though from top to bottom.

12 hours ago, R-Sole14 said:

The wedding was in Pakistan not at the local Holiday Inn.  

If you were to get married in Cancun would you invite everyone from work or just close friends and family? 

28 minutes ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

The wedding was in Pakistan not at the local Holiday Inn.  

If you were to get married in Cancun would you invite everyone from work or just close friends and family? 

My whole cricket team was invited to a teammates wedding that was in Fiji. So it definitely does happen.

If I was getting married in Cancun I would definitely be inviting more people than for a local one. Because you know a lot of people won’t go but you’ve done the nice thing and invited them.

2 minutes ago, R-Sole14 said:

My whole cricket team was invited to a teammates wedding that was in Fiji. So it definitely does happen.

If I was getting married in Cancun I would definitely be inviting more people than for a local one. Because you know a lot of people won’t go but you’ve done the nice thing and invited them.

Interesting angle. You’ve invited the racist to your wedding to be nice to them.