Yorkshire banned from holding test matchs

Geedee

Not surprised Hutton the Chairman has resigned even though others are far more to blame for the current crisis.

He has only been Chairman a short while and Rafiq spoke well of him.

Think they have been internal struggles going on through this, basically a few board members been trying to sweep this under a carpet as they know the report will not look good for them personally.

I see also Micheal Vaughan has been caught up in it now, have a feeling his reputation will be tarnished and he will lose some of his media work.

Very sorry last few days to be a YCCC Member,.

The clubs finances were already in a poor state, but stable before all this and now the club will be financially in intensive care.

I blame the current board for this.

"too many of you lot, we need to do something about it"

It's a very interesting comment in that if it was said directly to a group of Asian players it is horrendous but it could also have been said as part of a wider conversation with additional context. Vaughan will be in the process of working out how he can spin it so he can make out that he was talking about something else.

Vaughan has been a pretty polarising figure the last few years so this may be his chickens coming home to roost.

1 minute ago, Adem Poric said:

"too many of you lot, we need to do something about it"

It's a very interesting comment in that if it was said directly to a group of Asian players it is horrendous but it could also have been said as part of a wider conversation with additional context. Vaughan will be in the process of working out how he can spin it so he can make out that he was talking about something else.

Vaughan has been a pretty polarising figure the last few years so this may be his chickens coming home to roost.

If Vaughan spins it he meant something else would look even worse for him after categorically denying he said anything at all.

I don't mind Micheal Vaughan and listening to him sometimes you can see he understands the game and why he was such a good captain of England. Then ever now and then you feel he will just say something controversial for the sake of it and then something laddish. 

10 minutes ago, markowl said:

It seems like Martyn Moxon is the one Rafeeq appears to be after.

It was said to me a couple of times that Martyn Moxon wasn't seen at YCCC games last season because he was going to be the fall guy for the race inquiry and be pensioned off early but I think things have escalated since then.

Moxon been director of cricket since 2007 so cant see how he isn't responsible in some way.

• Like 1

Apparently a second player has come forward with accusations that teammates p!ssed on his head from the balcony above his room and also overheard 2 teammates talking about a lass they had sex with who was on her period and all they could find to clean up with was a Muslim prayer mat. I read this on mail online but it’s supposedly 2 former players that are still involved with Yorkshire.

The club will go bust.

Finances weren’t great before this, they’re now completely toxic, they’ve lost corporate partners, lost test status for the ground. Grim times and a shame for the regular members who are appalled. The whole lot need emptied in the boardroom 

31 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

The club will go bust.

Finances weren’t great before this, they’re now completely toxic, they’ve lost corporate partners, lost test status for the ground. Grim times and a shame for the regular members who are appalled. The whole lot need emptied in the boardroom 

£16m in debt and no doubt have future Internationals revenue lined up to service this debt.  Would imagine the new stand is mortgaged.

Willey, Malan, Rashid etc will not be cheap.

With very little money in the County game and the Hundred taking more money away it is going to be a very challenging time.  One T20 sell out v Lancashire is not going to go far.

With regards the Azeem Rafiq case it has been handled appallingly.  I cannot understand their stance and surely would have been taking legal advice.  Issue apologies, suspend Ballance and put him on a Diversity course, pension off Moxon and move on and at the same time agree a pay off with Rafiq.

On the flip side there are two sides to this story.  Strange that Rafiq left the Club and then returned 2 years later.  This is not the actions of someone who felt like taking their own like because of how he was treated.  Also how have 36 of the 43 claims been rejected by an the independent review.

The big story now is the Michael Vaughan involvement.  He denies saying what AR claims and now we await to see if Adil Rashid backs this up or not.

• Like 2

Complete embarrassment to the club and disgraceful set of affairs. Certain individuals were out of order for specific actions (such as Ballance and maybe the former England  captain) but the problem is the people at the top.

Sadly, YCCC have always been backward in promoting diversity. In our county, we have cities, towns and communities rich in south Asian heritage (who also tend to be cricket fans). We should have taken full advantage of that instead of doing the opposite. This goes back further than Rafiq, we were way too slow in recruiting British Asians considering how long they’ve been part of our communities.

I hope not, because cricket is huge in our county, but this could be fatal.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

£16m in debt and no doubt have future Internationals revenue lined up to service this debt.  Would imagine the new stand is mortgaged.

Willey, Malan, Rashid etc will not be cheap.

With very little money in the County game and the Hundred taking more money away it is going to be a very challenging time.  One T20 sell out v Lancashire is not going to go far.

With regards the Azeem Rafiq case it has been handled appallingly.  I cannot understand their stance and surely would have been taking legal advice.  Issue apologies, suspend Ballance and put him on a Diversity course, pension off Moxon and move on and at the same time agree a pay off with Rafiq.

On the flip side there are two sides to this story.  Strange that Rafiq left the Club and then returned 2 years later.  This is not the actions of someone who felt like taking their own like because of how he was treated.  Also how have 36 of the 43 claims been rejected by an the independent review.

The big story now is the Michael Vaughan involvement.  He denies saying what AR claims and now we await to see if Adil Rashid backs this up or not.

No doubt the clubs financial position is in intensive care but a lot of the debt is owed to Colin Graves (Ex Chairman and Ex Head of ECB) so hoping he wont see the club go bust. Although was talk of him coming back as chairman but glad he isn't as he is a bit of divisive figure.

Malan, Root, Bairstow, Rashid are centrally contracted to England so hopefully are not that expensive to Yorkshire.

Think Rafiq came back as was his second chance to make it as a pro cricketer and get to England, I guess he will be asked why he came back at the Parliament committee this month.

I think it was 36 of the 33 claims were not proven, must have been 1 persons word against another.

Seems a very toxic, old fashioned white privilege male environment to be honest..well overdue dismantling and rebuilding to reflect the diversity of Yorkshires population. 

Some of the Asian community in Bradford , for example,  are now 3rd or 4th generation and would love to represent their county at cricket. It appears there has been huge resistance to engage with them , apart from token efforts.

The ECB isn't coming out of this scot free either. 

Is it too woke to suggest that English cricket might have an institutional racism problem? 

• Like 3

Clearly there is a major problem within YCC if not cricket as a whole that needs properly addressing.

There is however the much wider issue of tribalism within all countries and all levels of society that is deeply ingrained in human nature. Assorted recent examples (at various levels of hatred and violence) are:

• The conflict in the former Yugoslavian republics 30 years ago
  • The Hutu/Tutsi genocide in Rwanda 30 years ago
  • Ongoing troubles in Russia, Chechnya & the Ukraine
  • Assorted other conflicts and trouble spots globally
  • Northern Ireland
  • Political rivalries that sometimes spill over into violence and the hate language that goes with it
  • Sporting (especially Football) rivalries that continually spill over into hate language and violence (just look at our own rivalry with United as an example

As a species we seem to have an overwhelming need to be part of a "tribe" of some description and we view other "tribes" as somehow inferior and less than human.

This does not come from one side only, it is everyone against everyone else regardless of whether the divide is based on race, nationality, religion, politics or sport.

Until we become mature enough to set those differences aside we will never be at peace with our fellow humans.

I can’t help wondering why this issue was, seemingly, not raised and addressed at the time it occurred.

Did Rafiq confront Ballance at the time and make clear his displeasure at his language and that he found it deeply offensive -  and, if not, why not ?

Always seems rather unsatisfactory to me when issues like this appear out of the woodwork so long after the actual event.

My personal opinion on this is the word banter,it's an easy cop out to say this, it's something I was brought up to accept you go to work you get the ******** took out of you, and they take the thing that you hate the most, it's still here now and other cultures won't accept it, it's about time our culture needs to change

15 minutes ago, ``` said:

32 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

I can’t help wondering why this issue was, seemingly, not raised and addressed at the time it occurred.

Did Rafiq confront Ballance at the time and make clear his displeasure at his language and that he found it deeply offensive -  and, if not, why not ?

Always seems rather unsatisfactory to me when issues like this appear out of the woodwork so long after the actual event.

Rafiq was that offended by the incident he signed for Yorkshire again in 2016. 

• Like 1