What's happened behind the scenes ?

52 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

So what's changed with the team...it's not just tactics because we all knew playing two up top would work. It was the work ethic and attitude that changed...what's gone on with the team to change that around??

Wouldn’t worry, will all change again in the next league game.

Finally DM has been reading my posts! Stop playing out from the back, play two up top, stick crosses in, hit balls to the channels, give Corbeanu a chance to run at opponents. 
Admittedly he missed the bit where I said playing Johnson as CB was crazy but I’ll forgive him for that as it went Ok last night 👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

We played with 2 up top 

Defence were told to be no nonsense

No forcing to play out the from the back 

We went long and hit the channels 

We made a tactical decision to press and attack higher up the pitch

Pretty much all solid ways to get out of this division - and I'm guessing the players bought into it instead of the dross they've been told to absorb before.

OMG someone talking my language. 
It’s not rocket science, been banging this drum for weeks bravo sir 👍

• Like 3

We played well, but we were also assisted by the fact that I think Sunderland are a bit of a soft touch (know that feeling). 

Look to me like another group of players struggling to cope with the expectations of playing for a big club at League One level. 

There is a long way to go, but that performance was something to build on and we've got to apply that same level of workrate and physicality in all games going forward. 

26 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

As has been said it’s only 1 game. Let’s see how we do against the lesser teams, starting with Gillingham. Perhaps it’s something along the lines of we upped our game last night because we played against one of the big boys in the league. Be shocking if that indeed was the case. 

Wouldn't get too carried away just yet, Plymouth apart we have performed better against the better teams, played well to win at Wigan, ditto away at Rotherham and barring BPF'S blunder at Ipswich would have beaten them also. It's shocking really to have beaten those sides and not be in top 3 or 4

That said, even in the draws recently we have started to drop the total football nonsense and try to be more direct.  

We did to Sunderland what other teams have been doing to us - playing at high tempo, pressing the opposition, chasing the ball and forcing mistakes.

I don’t know if there was a “clear the air” discussion in the dressing room beforehand, but the performance was markedly different.

Fingers crossed we can keep this up !

• Like 4

The way the team was set up against Sunderland should be the  way we go for ever game now. If we have to change personal through injury it should one for one and keep the same shape. High tempo and put the same effort in and get the ball back as quickly as possible. All the player's will get used to the system, instead of chopping and changing all the time. Uto.

• Like 2

Noticeable straight from the off. BPF pushing defenders upfield and kicking long. That’s a massive change in approach. We know there was some kind of dressing room showdown at Cheltenham and can only hope we will in future have a style the players believe in.
No messing around allowing opponents to get into shape. 

Two hard working strikers forcing mistakes from defenders.

Wide players capable of accurate crosses into the box.

Wing backs who are basically forwards not defenders.

Its league 1 football. It’s not complicated.

Get Iorfa, Windass, and Hutchinson back into the fold and we have a team capable of promotion 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

As has been said it’s only 1 game. Let’s see how we do against the lesser teams, starting with Gillingham. Perhaps it’s something along the lines of we upped our game last night because we played against one of the big boys in the league. Be shocking if that indeed was the case. 

I think in a weird way the reverse is true.

The small clubs raise their game against us as we are a big scalp in this league. That's why it's often so tough to grind out results against them.

Sunderland just see us as equals so we are just another game to them.

• Like 1

Very happy to collect the much needed win but a poor performance where Sunderland dominated possession and had more shots (on and off target)

Thank goodness Sunderland were as clueless as we have been this season, things went for us last night but that should not mask a disjointed performance.

Sunderland managed to dominate possession because we are so poor at marking/pressing. How many times did Sunderland players receive the ball without any pressure on them. and our tendency to drop deep and allow the other team to come onto us will cost us, fortunately Sunderland were very poor last night.

We don't appear to be able to string many passes together and end up getting robbed of the ball dribbling when there is a pass on. Not sure if it is confidence or fitness but we do not seem to understand when to release the ball and how to construct passages of play. Last night was lob it to the channels and work off the front men it got the result but is not the way to build a team for promotion. Many times Sunderland popped passes down our flanks and were up to our area very easily (one touch) contrast that with us, Palmer stops the ball sets it, then plays it  to Patterson who does exactly the same, it gave two opportunities for them to get to us when they should have been nowhere near us. Then Adeniran and others like FDB and Patterson are dribbling and getting caught in possession when there should be a runner and a pass. If FDB and Adeniran are to be effective they need to drive forcefully with the ball because they have that ability, at the moment they struggle in tight areas.

Moore needs to find a way of playing that will deliver a more consistent performance and probably needs to be honest as to how fit we are in regards to other teams with inferior players. If it is not fitness then there is an issue with football intelligence from our players or coach.

Really pleased for the points but I don't see an emerging team yet nor do I think Moore's defensive strategy is the right way our effective winger ended up playing as an extra left back second half. Hope the results gives most of the players a little more confidence.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In the first five minutes it was evident that this was a 'different Wednesday'. The tempo was higher, throw-ins were taken quickly and we closed down players. The first half performance was easily the best at home this season. Playing Theo was instrumental in putting us on the front foot IMO, a very direct and exciting performer. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

So what's changed with the team...it's not just tactics because we all knew playing two up top would work. It was the work ethic and attitude that changed...what's gone on with the team to change that around??

They've decorated the Managers office, ready for Ryan Lowe? 

2 hours ago, Bluesteel. said:

I think this team would play better against a Sunderland or Bolton than a Wimbledon or Morcambe. It will only have changed when we can play like that against those teams IMO.

We had a spell of 20-25 minutes in the middle of the game yesterday where we dropped back and absorbed after going 2-0 up - all players in our half, and we looked really cagey and rode our luck. 

In the second half, we looked to have changed again and started to press up top further up field - we got the third and continued to press higher and we looked a lot more comfortable. 

This just hasn't happened in the last 5-10 games - we've took a goal and sat back, even at 2-0. We really do need 2 up top and continue to push from the front to relieve the defence - if we had played like this against any of the teams we've just played I'm positive we'd have seen a different outlook. Sitting back isn't the answer, we aren't good enough to shut up shop for 30-40 minutes (barely even 10 minutes..) and 1 forward doing all the leg work up top. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1