Westwood. What did he say?

On 03/11/2021 at 02:24, adamwestsleftear said:

I found it alarming.

we used to wonder why we had so many injuries. now we know why...

I never imagined players were injecting and playing through pain so often ,surely just doing untold long term damage.

could understand it for say a playoff semi but not as a standard practise.

loved Carlos and his time but this is grim..and explains a lot.

I hope it's stopped .

we have enough options and surely getting people healed and fit is going to produce higher quality performances ...

It's how we broke Hirst snr back in the 90's. He used to regularly play 60 mins under injections "to see if he could get us a gaol" to quote someone from that time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

It's how we broke Hirst snr back in the 90's. He used to regularly play 60 mins under injections "to see if he could get us a gaol" to quote someone from that time. 

There was me thinking it was a combination of Steve Bould and post match 10 pints of snakebite

• Haha 2

On 06/11/2021 at 14:29, Ellis Rimmer said:

Carlos doesn't have the final say on whether players are fit or not, or whether they have injections, that the player and they can only have injections if they consent. 

I didn’t say Carlos had the final say, he encouraged players to have the injection to play.

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

course he did but you can't blame him for their decisions, their choice to make 

I imagine some players may have been worried about being viewed as not as committed as others, maybe being blackballed or otherwise if they refused and were seen to not go as far as others in the squad to play 

3 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I imagine some players may have been worried about being viewed as not as committed as others, maybe being blackballed or otherwise if they refused and were seen to not go as far as others in the squad to play 

They will have been given the risks by the medical staff, it's on them.

5 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

They will have been given the risks by the medical staff, it's on them.

I understand your point. 

But it’s a situation where a senior pro at 31 on £30,000 a week might feel more at ease with saying no than a 24 year old who’s wanting to make a name for themselves 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

I'd agree with you, that's informed consent in my book. Whether it was morally right to offer it in the first place 🤔.

True. To be honest when I saw a talk by some club doctors I was less than impressed with the medical care they actually get to be honest. Due to their funds they basically seem to offer everything that could possible work to speed up recovery/get the player playing, they don't usually know what helped the player recover because of the amount of stuff they do. 

Just now, WhiteOwl91 said:

I understand your point. 

But it’s a situation where a senior pro at 31 on £30,000 a week might feel more at ease with saying no than a 24 year old who’s wanting to make a name for themselves 

Yeh I get what you mean, it probably is a bit murky. 

On 02/11/2021 at 22:59, S63 Owl said:

Can’t remember the finer details but he spoke very very highly of his time at Wednesday and came across as a really sound bloke. 

He really sang the praises of Steve Bruce and said how fit the team was and how much running Bruce had them doing and that if Bruce hadn’t gone to Newcastle we’d have gone up that year. He said the fitness levels faded not long after Bruce left. 

Spoke highly of Bannan and Palmer too and how his kids are now hooked on Wednesday. 

He’s currently training with Crewe and keeping fit ready for when he gets a call. 

I bloody knew it.

One of Westy's kids is a goalie now, incidentally. He's on one of the junior Man City teams.