Westwood. What did he say?

33 minutes ago, sternlad said:

To me this giving players injections is one of the seedier sides of football. It doesn’t matter how much gloss you put on the Premier League, Champions League, fancy state of the art stadia etc…there will always be those who are a bit dodgy in some aspect of the game. A bit like our owner, I don’t think he would worry too much if Carlos or any other manager wanted to have a player on the pitch with an injury, he’d just say “we are paying them (sometimes) patch him up and get him out there.” The beautiful game (like most other pro sports) is not always as it seems.

Like flogging a dead horse. 

Another example of the chairman's ignorance though and him allowing people to just get away with stuff because he thought they were his "mate" or something.

I think Carlos was a decent coach and his record since (particularly in Portugal) has backed that up, but you can't be having the manager just riding roughshod over the club fitness team. One suspects they were booted because they voiced concerns over us playing unfit players all the time. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Like flogging a dead horse. 

Another example of the chairman's ignorance though and him allowing people to just get away with stuff because he thought they were his "mate" or something.

I think Carlos was a decent coach and his record since (particularly in Portugal) has backed that up, but you can't be having the manager just riding roughshod over the club fitness team. One suspects they were booted because they voiced concerns over us playing unfit players all the time. 

If that was the case, why does it happen at pretty much every club, as well as in other sports too? You can't blame DC for this one, you're making some huge assumptions. There's plenty of other things to level at him, but not this. 

Also, this is what happens in elite sport, it happens in every sport at the top. Whether it's paul mcgrath getting knee injections, fighters getting hand numbing injections or runners taking daily ibuprofen just to be able to train. It's nothing new.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sternlad said:

Would he make a decent goalkeeping coach? Or is punditry the avenue he’s taking now…he’s probably at the ‘Lawrie Madden School of Waffle and Drivel’ which I believe is where our manager graduated.

Hasn't done his coaching badges

Edited by darra

3 minutes ago, 0742 said:

If that was the case, why does it happen at pretty much every club, as well as in other sports too? You can't blame DC for this one, you're making some huge assumptions. There's plenty of other things to level at him, but not this. 

Also, this is what happens in elite sport, it happens in every sport at the top. Whether it's paul mcgrath getting knee injections, fighters getting hand numbing injections or runners taking daily ibuprofen just to be able to train. It's nothing new.

I agree it happens in every sport, but there are levels and I suspect Carlos went beyond them. There was plenty of rumblings that he played players completely against medical advice and K Lee may well be the obvious example of that. Our ex physio had some very pointed words to say on certain platforms, but this isn't something new. Westwood has merely added a layer of  confirmation to what was already highly suspected. 

10 minutes ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

I agree it happens in every sport, but there are levels and I suspect Carlos went beyond them. There was plenty of rumblings that he played players completely against medical advice and K Lee may well be the obvious example of that. Our ex physio had some very pointed words to say on certain platforms, but this isn't something new. Westwood has merely added a layer of  confirmation to what was already highly suspected. 

Yeh for a pro to say that about it, shows it was well above the normal lines of acceptance. 

Who'd have thought it, rush players back, they then suffer endless other injuries as a consequence. 

19 minutes ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

Again it happens at every top club and at the top of every sport. People are jumping to conclusions about Carlos and him being the worst, but there are far worse out there, the harsh reality is that's just what happens. We were gunning for promotion, we needed our best players on the pitch, boundaries were going to be pushed which means asking more of players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

And Tom Lees. 

Who I understand had to get PFA involved because he was being forced to play with injury

What a big baybee if he did..im sure he could have just said im not playing im injured..most footballers have these injections cus they are desperate ti play..to think carlos is some sort of mad doctor..brewing lotions and potions then calling all the players in and injecting them against their wishes is beyhond bizzare😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My take on his comments about players taking painkilling injections and playing with injuries is that he was using it as an example of how desperate these players were to get out on the pitch and play for the team.

He didn't give the impression that they were being forced to do it, though I'm sure the management could have stopped it if they wanted to.

He was basically saying he played with some strong characters who gave their all for the club, probably to their own personal detriment.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, 0742 said:

Again it happens at every top club and at the top of every sport. People are jumping to conclusions about Carlos and him being the worst, but there are far worse out there, the harsh reality is that's just what happens. We were gunning for promotion, we needed our best players on the pitch, boundaries were going to be pushed which means asking more of players. 

I actually don’t agree with you. I think Carlos overstepped quite significantly. For an ex player to comment about it, for an ex physio to comment about it, that’s unusual, because they are in the game and know how prevalent it is. I happen to know a World Champion personally and someone who competed at these last Olympics when medical advise was not to. The big difference in that situation was it was the competitors choice and when competing they knew the things they still couldn’t do or risk, to ensure they didn’t get long term complications. The suggestion in Wednesdays case was that the players didn’t want to take the risk and yet were almost forced to and also that the risks were too great and pretty much guaranteed to create longer term dangerous injuries. If you read the chatter at the time it was predicted that making K Lee play one game effectively guaranteed he’d never be the same player again. That’s going too far if the rumours, which were very strong, are true. They were also from someone who grew up a Wednesdayite, whose family gave so much to the club, why would they go public?
I wouldn’t say Carlos is the worst, I’m sure some other coaches/managers take risks, but he was all about the short term, at almost any cost. His management record to that point was always like that, part of the reason he rarely stayed anywhere more than a year. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, sternlad said:

To me this giving players injections is one of the seedier sides of football. It doesn’t matter how much gloss you put on the Premier League, Champions League, fancy state of the art stadia etc…there will always be those who are a bit dodgy in some aspect of the game. A bit like our owner, I don’t think he would worry too much if Carlos or any other manager wanted to have a player on the pitch with an injury, he’d just say “we are paying them (sometimes) patch him up and get him out there.” The beautiful game (like most other pro sports) is not always as it seems.

I accept DC has made a lot of mistakes but there is no evidence as far as I can see that he has been involved in getting players to play while injured.

I've no problem with having a go at him for things he has done, and there are plenty, but I think you are just looking for a stick to beat him with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, graz gp said:

He said DM as a plan for every team we play and set the  team up accordingly. That's why he changes the team for every game. It sounds like he won't change  his way of picking the team. So we will have to live with it. Uto

Or not. Depends on results.