Westwood. What did he say?

6 minutes ago, adamwestsleftear said:

I found it alarming.

we used to wonder why we had so many injuries. now we know why...

I never imagined players were injecting and playing through pain so often ,surely just doing untold long term damage.

could understand it for say a playoff semi but not as a standard practise.

loved Carlos and his time but this is grim..and explains a lot.

I hope it's stopped .

we have enough options and surely getting people healed and fit is going to produce higher quality performances ...

I expect that this sort of thing is common practice in football. That doesn’t excuse it I know but I’m sure that it wasn’t unique to Carlos.

You hear it all the time on the radio or tv….”he’s playing today after having a pain killing injection “…. rugby, football, cricket, athletics, it probably goes on in most sports.

• Like 2

Really enjoyed his input last night. Not as passionate as JP, but way better than Brian Laws.

worried me a bit when he said he didn’t like talking on the radio. Strange comment for a commentator. But overall thought he was very insightful, and some great anecdotes about his time here.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

I expect that this sort of thing is common practice in football. That doesn’t excuse it I know but I’m sure that it wasn’t unique to Carlos.

You hear it all the time on the radio or tv….”he’s playing today after having a pain killing injection “…. rugby, football, cricket, athletics, it probably goes on in most sports.

you are right,it seems to be pretty widespread..

BBC pundit and former England defender Danny Mills says painkillers in football have always been widespread - "and always will be".

I've been in many dressing rooms where I've seen other players pressured into playing with painkillers," he said.

Professor Dvorak collected data about the intake of medication by all players at every Fifa tournament between 1998 and 2014, discovering almost 50% took 'everyday' anti-inflammatory drugs and painkillers that are available over the counter.

He says some clubs prioritise success over player welfare, leading to players feeling "pressured" into taking medication to overcome minor injuries and play in important games.'

it seems like we overdid it compared to other clubs.

that's the undertone of what Westwood said..

it's one thing to do it for an important game but if you do it too much you just are worsening injuries for the short-term availablity .

someone like bannan is a warrior and being virtually everpresent involved some hardcore injections ..probably didn't help Lee or hutch...

Moore seems to want a large squad and maybe this is one of the reasons ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SiJ said:

Christ.

No wonder it came off the tracks in the third season under CC.

We had so many injuries in that season. So many long term injuries too. Guys like Hooper, Lee etc., wouldn't play again for 12 to 18 months.

And it absolutely finished Hooper

• Like 1

Guest Grandad

Seen the stat on Nuhiu pace before

Was at a QnA with a few players where they were asked who was fastest over 100m. They said the distance wasn't one they ever did as inappropriate on a football field - but all 3 players agreed Nuhiu fastest over a 50m. And one of them was Joao who I always thought was pretty quick himself 

Guest Grandad
2 minutes ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Hooper, Lee, Forestieri , Hutchinson, Fletcher...........all played with injuries in Carlos second season and it backfired spectacularly , and then he allegedly had the nerve to blame the medical staff who all got the push.

And Tom Lees. 

Who I understand had to get PFA involved because he was being forced to play with injury

10 minutes ago, darra said:

Remember hearing Alan Brazil talking about having cortisone injections for a knee injury and that the injection was far more painful than the actual injury

I think it stared in the 1960s - saw a programme some time ago saying it ended many a player's careers prematurely.

Not sure the clubs have the power on this anymore,, so hopefully it's died out somewhat.

• Like 1

To me this giving players injections is one of the seedier sides of football. It doesn’t matter how much gloss you put on the Premier League, Champions League, fancy state of the art stadia etc…there will always be those who are a bit dodgy in some aspect of the game. A bit like our owner, I don’t think he would worry too much if Carlos or any other manager wanted to have a player on the pitch with an injury, he’d just say “we are paying them (sometimes) patch him up and get him out there.” The beautiful game (like most other pro sports) is not always as it seems.

• Like 1