That's All We Ask For

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Regardless of the quality on show, the opposition we face, or even the final result we achieve, the effort levels tonight are surely what all fans want to see in each and every game.

I'm not sure why, and I'm not sure how, but we suddenly looked like a team this evening: the closing down from the front was exemplary; we hunted the ball in packs all game; and we didn't give Sunderland a moment to settle into their stride.

No team will win every game, nor will they play attractive football each week. But if we see that work rate replicated in every game, then I for one will get behind it, and I reckon the vast majority will too.

We have played well vs most of the better teams.

It's the teams we should be beating we have issues with.

I put this down to the teams higher up the table have a go at us, and it opens up space for us. The lesser teams give us the ball and let us fanny about with it at the back and we create our own problems.

• Like 1

We did to Sunderland, exactly what we’ve seen every team do to us this season, we out fought them. The players obviously thought they were the underdogs and needed to prove something to the opposition. Just shows that we expect to win against teams like Lincoln etc and turn up with the wrong mentality.

It’s not just this group of player though, we’ve been like this since Carlos’s 2nd season. Remember beating Newcastle when no one else could. There’s obviously something with the setup at the club which causes it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blatter said:

Two central strikers and a wing man who can get into to position to deliver an accurate cross.

Why has it taken so long.  

And all 3 scored. It's such a simple game. Get the ball forward and wide then get decent crosses into the box. Why we've been fannying about with the ball at the back all season instead of attacking teams and playing to our strengths god only knows. There was a noticeable change in the way we played tonight and it was great to see - attacking intent instead of the first thought being to go backwards and 'look after the ball'. We've shown what we can do now, it will be an even more disappointing season if we revert back to the negative shiite and formations we've seen so far. 

7 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Its not though is it

Bannan does it every game and gets pelters

By a few posters on Owlstalk, perhaps. The majority on here know what he offers, and I've genuinely never heard anyone at the game giving him pelters.

Anyway, it's not about one player. If our effort levels as a team are poor, then fans will be unhappy and will look for someone to blame. Some of them look in the wrong places and aim their dissatisfaction towards Bannan. What can I say - some fans are thick! But get the effort right across the team as we did last night, and I don't think we'll hear many unhappy voices.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

We also seems to have learned having lots of the  ball means nothing.

Screenshot_20211102-214656_Chrome.jpg.70f2de043c0f89c4b0acbecbd72f90f9.jpg

It's what you do with it

I always think that they should breakdown the possession stats by thirds of the pitch

Probably would give a more meaningful picture.

• Like 2

Playing like that is the way of getting out of this league. High tempo and hard work. Two up front and stop playing it out from the back all the time. We did to Sunderland what other team's have been doing to us. If we can win a few games and get on a good run the confidence will be sky high and then anything can happen. Uto.

• Like 3

Big difference for me was having 2 attack minded players playing at wing back

All too often this season with the likes of Hunt, Palmer, Brown or Johnson playing there these players are more defensive minded and haven’t added anything going forward

Last night both wing backs wanted to attack and both provided quality all night. It got us further up the pitch and allowed 2 strikers to be on the end of crosses

Theo isn’t a natural wing back but against lesser teams he won’t have as much defensive responsibility. I’m sure Shodipo would be able to do a similar job

Playing out from the back actually seemed to work this time as well, because we were defending as a team and closing down quickly, which took some pressure off the defence. If we are going to play that way, we need to keep pressing higher up the pitch so it doesn't just come back. I noticed that we stole possession quite a lot last night, which has been a part of our game that's been missing. Maybe we have hit upon a winning formula. It remains to be seen whether DM sticks or twists yet again. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

The key to this was Bannan plugging the gaps to allow an attacking platform.

His teammates responded to the freedom in a big way.

We defended from the front to the back and made Sunderland look like the old us.

He's got to learn from this... he's got to!

Always someone with an agenda, can we not just enjoy the win rather than rimming.

• Like 1

From the first whistle we had player working hard and pressing high up the pitch. In this league specially if we want promotion this is the first component needed. 

Then we had Corbeanu willing to run and take on defenders and produce a decent cross or shot. The athleticism of our players is very easy to see. Why its taken until now for us to take advantage of this is beyond me. 

I think windass will make a massive difference to our team and his absence has really proved telling. 

Worryingly we still look shaky defending set pieces which is strange considering the start of season clean sheets. But while ever we are scoring we in with a decent shout of winning games. 

Let us hope the hard work carries on for the rest of the season. 

• Like 2

On 02/11/2021 at 23:17, Stevelknievel said:

We did to Sunderland, exactly what we’ve seen every team do to us this season, we out fought them. The players obviously thought they were the underdogs and needed to prove something to the opposition. Just shows that we expect to win against teams like Lincoln etc and turn up with the wrong mentality.

It’s not just this group of player though, we’ve been like this since Carlos’s 2nd season. Remember beating Newcastle when no one else could. There’s obviously something with the setup at the club which causes it. 

Since Carlos' 2nd season? 

It's been the case as long as I can remember. 

We beat or give good accounts against the 'stronger' or bigger teams. But if you're on a 12 game losing stream, sure as poo you'll beat us. 

The Wednesday way

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Or he's just commenting on the role Bannan played in Tuesday's game?

I think you're seeing something that's not really there, to be honest.

Have you read his latest posts?

6 minutes ago, daleblue said:

Have you read his latest posts?

Dunno.

I've read the post you've responded to here though, and I don't see the problem.

Bannan did 'plug the gaps' in the centre of the park really well, making more tackles than anyone else on the pitch, and more than he usually does as well.

Or do I also have an 'agenda' for pointing out that fact?

• Like 1