That's All We Ask For

We seem to be able to beat the teams towards the top but struggle against teams we should be easily beating..  How do you Draw against Cheltenham and then beat Sunderland 3-0...  Maybe it is when we come across teams that actually want to try and play were ok, when we come up against teams that just want to put 11 men behind the ball and batter us we struggle.

17 minutes ago, Mosborough-owl said:

Sunderland are like us, they want to play football. That’s why we won

Maybe but teams like Cheltenham played us off the park recently.

Believe it's more we attacked them rather than trying to nullify the opposition.

I have so many issues today.

We pressed better, but didn't seem better at it then normal (I know, at odds) - our opposition looked up for it early on but didn't keep up with their bluster.  Sunderland were poor after the first few minutes, and that statement maybe belittling Wednesday tonight.  I just think they weren't much of an opponent.

I really think we should have had a 

However we played differently.  No messing about at the back, actually not dithering on the ball and dare I say, when push came to shove - hoofing it, but with good measure.

I don't know what has changed.  Is it from the manager?  Was it due to Sunderland being a bit overly agressive in their pressing?  I'd like to think it's come from Moore and he has changed tac, but we shall see in coming games I suppose.

Surely tonight shows that Theo (I'm not one for first names, but I'm not sure on his surname!)  needs to be starting more than not now too?   He just has what is needed to change games.

And anyone who sang for Moore to give them a wave, give your head a wobble, one swallow and all that.

Edited by Salmonbones
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Regardless of the quality on show, the opposition we face, or even the final result we achieve, the effort levels tonight are surely what all fans want to see in each and every game.

I'm not sure why, and I'm not sure how, but we suddenly looked like a team this evening: the closing down from the front was exemplary; we hunted the ball in packs all game; and we didn't give Sunderland a moment to settle into their stride.

No team will win every game, nor will they play attractive football each week. But if we see that work rate replicated in every game, then I for one will get behind it, and I reckon the vast majority will too.

Its not though is it

Bannan does it every game and gets pelters

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Regardless of the quality on show, the opposition we face, or even the final result we achieve, the effort levels tonight are surely what all fans want to see in each and every game.

I'm not sure why, and I'm not sure how, but we suddenly looked like a team this evening: the closing down from the front was exemplary; we hunted the ball in packs all game; and we didn't give Sunderland a moment to settle into their stride.

No team will win every game, nor will they play attractive football each week. But if we see that work rate replicated in every game, then I for one will get behind it, and I reckon the vast majority will too.

Is it a one off, has the penny finally dropped? Who knows, and I’m not being negative, but just going off this season I can guarantee we will have a different style, set up etc in the next league game.

31 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Sunderland were poor after the first few minutes, and that statement maybe belittling Wednesday tonight.  I just think they weren't much of an opponent.

Wednesday were aggressive and ‘turned them around’ until it broke their spirit I think.

We can do that to a lot of teams… if we want to.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Two central strikers and a wing man who can get into to position to deliver an accurate cross.

Why has it taken so long.  

This. 

Firstly not taking anything away from us but Sunderland we’re poor. However, two up top and someone strong who works hard for Gregory to play off, and Kamberi can play as well. Been crying out for weeks. 

Corbeanau playing. Has to start every week. He’s not a wing back and

IMO could play up top in a 3 or a 2 or on

the wing but his attacking intent and flair should be what we’re building around. 

Adeneran playing more as a dm breaking up play. 

Why has it taken So long 

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Moving Paterson to RWB looks a masterstroke

Did well tonight, he’s played RWB many a time though I think 

We have the players in this squad to pick off teams at this level.

Going off what that Donny an said a few weeks back, Moore's preferred style is to almost pick teams off in moments and keep things solid.

The problem had been we've too often looked disorganised and have failed to impose ourselves on teams to show the quality we have.

It's not like tonight we created an absolute shed load of chances, but all three of our goals came from quality bits of play. That aligned with our organisation  and work rate meant Sunderland were done for long before the ref blew up.

Edited by SiJ