Hillsborough Stadium Upgrade

The stadium really does need some money spending on it. My season ticket is in the North but on Sunday Sat on the South. After the game I had the misfortune of falling on the steps, a kind man who help me up pointed out that I may have fallen on a bottle that was laid on the steps, however whilst sat waiting for the medical team I noticed how uneven the steps were and I could have easily fell due to standing on uneven part. I’m now in a foot cast due to having a broken ankle but it could have been much worse. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Geedee said:

It's such a shame, years and years of decline.

From the best ground outside Wembley to nowhere near the top 10 now.

Those who have been in charge should hang their heads in shame

In the 70’s the standard of stadia in general was shockingly bad, compared to today.

The 2 best grounds in England were probably Old Trafford and Hillsborough.

Sheff Wed have been unlucky regards the stadia upgrades, stadia new build era.

For most other clubs stadium improvements has been an obvious and simple decision.

Many grounds were so bad that upgrading wasn’t even an option…the obvious solution was to demolish the lot…and build a new stadium. Other clubs always had a terrible single stand  that was too old and too small, it was an easy and obvious decision to demolish it and build a new stand.

However Sheff Wed have always had 4 decent/ good stands.

The only urgent work was possibly rebuilding Leppings Lane after the disaster but crowd organisation/ segregation means theres strong pressure to always keep LL as the away end. Logic suggests it wouldn’t make sense to give away fans the newest stand when it’s rarely ever half full.

The return on investment would take decades building a new LL stand, hence the understandable reluctance to rebuild Leppings Lane.

Hillsboro was a very impressive stadium in the 70’s but many other clubs have caught up and passed it.

Even now though Hillsboro is still a very good old fashioned stadium but that means there’s no urgency to improve it or move elsewhere.

As all 4 stands are also good then there’s not even any urgency to build a new stand.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, sheffsteel said:

In the 70’s the standard of stadia in general was shockingly bad, compared to today.

The 2 best grounds in England were probably Old Trafford and Hillsborough.

Sheff Wed have been unlucky regards the stadia upgrades, stadia new build era.

For most other clubs stadium improvements has been an obvious and simple decision.

Many grounds were so bad that upgrading wasn’t even an option…the obvious solution was to demolish the lot…and build a new stadium. Other clubs always had a terrible single stand  that was too old and too small, it was an easy and obvious decision to demolish it and build a new stand.

However Sheff Wed have always had 4 decent/ good stands.

The only urgent work was possibly rebuilding Leppings Lane after the disaster but crowd organisation/ segregation means theres strong pressure to always keep LL as the away end. Logic suggests it wouldn’t make sense to give away fans the newest stand when it’s rarely ever half full.

The return on investment would take decades building a new LL stand, hence the understandable reluctance to rebuild Leppings Lane.

Hillsboro was a very impressive stadium in the 70’s but many other clubs have caught up and passed it.

Even now though Hillsboro is still a very good old fashioned stadium but that means there’s no urgency to improve it or move elsewhere.

As all 4 stands are also good then there’s not even any urgency to build a new stand.

Imo  in the 1970's the  only competition was villa Park not old trafford which like anfield, Highbury and white Hart Lane was not a patch on hillsborough

• Like 1

1 hour ago, punkskaphil said:

In what way was Highbury not a patch on Hillsborough?

It was not meant to be an insult to highbury but more my own comparison and I will certainly admit to being very bias to all things Wednesday.

But when I visited highbury it appeared run down and ready for replacement, the new stadium is the best I have visted in the country although its worthy to say I have not been to either the new spurs ground or west hams

• Like 1

The stadium has seen its day.

Whilst upgrading the current ground would be welcome, refurbishment costs can at times be just as high as starting again.

There’s also things wrong with Hillsborough that money cannot rectify, flooding, location and obviously the tragedy  attached to the stadium and name.

A 30,000 seater, state of the art stadium that is capable of bringing in revenue (to rival the arena) ((because that’s a $hithole if we’re being honest)) would be a good way to move forward. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mac_77 said:

The stadium has seen its day.

Whilst upgrading the current ground would be welcome, refurbishment costs can at times be just as high as starting again.

There’s also things wrong with Hillsborough that money cannot rectify, flooding, location and obviously the tragedy  attached to the stadium and name.

A 30,000 seater, state of the art stadium that is capable of bringing in revenue (to rival the arena) ((because that’s a $hithole if we’re being honest)) would be a good way to move forward. 

Agree.

If moneys no object and everything's equal, I'd give Hillsborough the modern upgrade it needs. Every time. 

Like you say though, there are factors with Hillsborough that aren't just related to money, and can't be fixed by it. And in reality the numbers might not add up anyway. 

I'm 100% certain that somewhere in Hillsborough there will be concrete plans drawn up for a new ground elsewhere, and that we'd have heard about them by now if we'd beat Hull at Wembley. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Quickly Kevin said:

Our ground is too big for us.

Even in PL days and derbies v Pigs we had loads of empty seats.

Have to agree it looks a bit daft whenever the team are on telly and 23k still looks like a half empty stadium.  Personally I wouldn’t object to NEW owners building a new state of the art 32k stadium like St Mary’s size but with room to expand in the future, for when we get to the champions league.. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/11/2021 at 15:03, torryowl said:

number 20 in the "british footballs 100 must see greatest grounds ".........so some still think its worth a visit .

Tad disingenuous given that Lewes, St Albans & Hitchen are in the top 5

I was sufficiently interested to visit Stonehenge but, on reflection,  I don’t want to live there, even with a lick of paint & some double glazing 🤔

10 minutes ago, Truth is out there said:

Tad disingenuous given that Lewes, St Albans & Hitchen are in the top 5

I was sufficiently interested to visit Stonehenge but, on reflection,  I don’t want to live there, even with a lick of paint & some double glazing 🤔

What did the commentator call it on Sunday "a beautiful old  stadium " and it his ...you may not rate but a lot do.

6 minutes ago, torryowl said:

What did the commentator call it on Sunday "a beautiful old  stadium " and it his ...you may not rate but a lot do.

Football is full of traditionalists. I'm one of them. And there's not many grounds like Hillsborough left.

Luton are 2 points off the play-offs.. I think it would be fantastic if they turned up in the Premier League with Kenilworth Road. It's a shame Brentford didn't go up 3 years sooner for similar reasons.

Reality often different from plaudits from traditionalists, unfortunately. Not that we're in a position to do anything about that regardless (talking of reality)