Hillsborough Stadium Upgrade

Hillsborough needs better and more modern facilities and I don't think it needs to have a 40k capacity. 

I actually think the North and South stands are fine. The South needs a bit of a tidy up and a spring clean, particularly the corporate facilities and areas, but it's fine. The North is my favourite stand in football, and that's without bias. I absolutely adore the North stand. It's a glorious football stand and I think all it needs is an extension/development of the concourses. That's the only bit of Stafford's plans I'd keep.

The Lepp should have been pulled down years ago and realistically you'd probably need to do likewise with the Kop if you wanted to do anything with it. The Lepp should be rebuilt as a smaller single tiered dedicated away end. I really don't think we need to be giving away fans upto 6,000 seats across 2 tiers.

I really like Copenhagen's stadium as an example of how a more traditional looking ground with 4 distinct stands can look in the world of modern football stadiums. 

Ultimately this is all pie in the sky stuff until the clubs fortunes change, and even then is likely less feasible than building something new off the M1. 

• Like 3

Guest Grandad

I always thought the Lee Strafford plans weren't actually ambitious enough. While I recognise it was aimed at extending our capacity to make Hillsboorough eligible for the World Cup bid.

If you look at the attached - its actually possible to redevelop Hillsborough, both Kop End and Leppings Lane, while leaving the seating in both South and North relatively untouched (and therefore same capacity). And fill in the corners which would help in increasing capacity to compensate for the the loss of the Kop upper tier.

This would have the advantage of improving the atmosphere all round the ground by bringing the fans down closer to the pitch, filling in the corners would improve the acoustics, and all 3 sides of the ground (North, Kop, West) would have huge amounts of space to allow for concourse improvements too (something we desperately need in all 3 of those stands). 

If you can see - placing a compass needle on the centre circle and tracing a line around the ground touching each corner of the back seats in the North creates a perfect circle - and could then allow for the whole of the outside of the ground (bar the South Stand) to be clad in glass or other materials. If you were really ambitious you could even do something along the lines of the Allianz Arena

And the whole stadium footprint fits nicely into the land we already have. A truly wonderful stadium fit for Wednesday for the next 5o years at least.

I know it won't be to everybodies taste. lol 

210215632_Image(5).thumb.jpg.73c82cf6dd99088bb23685531eaf5658.jpg

Edited by Grandad

Guest Grandad
2 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Can't imagine Hillsborough with a Bonsai Kop 

Actually thats another major benefit of my plan above  the Kop can finally lose the massive pile of earth its built on to allow for bars and restaurants etc to be built underneath (maybe even new Wednesday shop and offices)

I do find it odd how people long for plans that were drafted, over 10 years ago now?! If we're going to change it has to be about facilities etc to compete, not just about the posts on the kop

I hear they might be reopening the old rail line...... 

• Like 1

the ground is fine, just needs a lick of paint & a modification however the video is lovely & far better than the soulless bowls in industrial parks like Sunderland, Derby, Wigan etc.. Hillsborough is a place of beauty especially night matches when the place is rocking.. I'll never forget that Kaiserslautern home game amongst others, what an atmosphere. 

3 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

I really like Copenhagen's stadium as an example of how a more traditional looking ground with 4 distinct stands can look in the world of modern football stadiums. 

I'm all for steep seating, but I think they've taken it a bit far...

Parken_2011_1.JPG.f5952a0966d03d2620bed360720c5ee2.JPG

1 hour ago, S1Owl said:

they undercoated it then ran out of money for topcoat🤪

Nope from what I remember it was a sign that was there and what u see now is the adhesive thats been on that long its now melted ( can't think of the word I want ) onto the tin roof. sheet so no matter how many times its painted it will always show unless the roof sheets are replaced

2 hours ago, westy365owl said:

Nope from what I remember it was a sign that was there and what u see now is the adhesive thats been on that long its now melted ( can't think of the word I want ) onto the tin roof. sheet so no matter how many times its painted it will always show unless the roof sheets are replaced

Be reyt. Just get a super-sized Brillo pad and some elbow grease. Perhaps Chansiri's lad will need a summer job...

On 03/11/2021 at 13:42, Grandad said:

I always thought the Lee Strafford plans weren't actually ambitious enough. While I recognise it was aimed at extending our capacity to make Hillsboorough eligible for the World Cup bid.

If you look at the attached - its actually possible to redevelop Hillsborough, both Kop End and Leppings Lane, while leaving the seating in both South and North relatively untouched (and therefore same capacity). And fill in the corners which would help in increasing capacity to compensate for the the loss of the Kop upper tier.

This would have the advantage of improving the atmosphere all round the ground by bringing the fans down closer to the pitch, filling in the corners would improve the acoustics, and all 3 sides of the ground (North, Kop, West) would have huge amounts of space to allow for concourse improvements too (something we desperately need in all 3 of those stands). 

If you can see - placing a compass needle on the centre circle and tracing a line around the ground touching each corner of the back seats in the North creates a perfect circle - and could then allow for the whole of the outside of the ground (bar the South Stand) to be clad in glass or other materials. If you were really ambitious you could even do something along the lines of the Allianz Arena

And the whole stadium footprint fits nicely into the land we already have. A truly wonderful stadium fit for Wednesday for the next 5o years at least.

I know it won't be to everybodies taste. lol 

210215632_Image(5).thumb.jpg.73c82cf6dd99088bb23685531eaf5658.jpg

Would seem a sensible solution that's probably cost effective.

Hillsborough is great on the few occasions when it's full but at half to three quarters capacity it lacks atmosphere.