Time no guarantee

Guest Grandad

I can totally cope with a long term strategy if it brings great success

But what I can't have patience with are these relentless playing players out of position ideas, or the changing starting lineups, or the politicians answers to questions from the manager, or the lack of shots on target, or the dull slow method of play.

And the body language of the players just screams that something is not right and not just results but something behind the scenes

Oh...

And we need to stop waiting for the same injured players to get fit again every season, month in month out. That just needs to stop

We need a zero tolerance attitude towards injured players, unreliable players, poor managers etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, Animis said:

It's stuck in another decade, like one of them abandoned theme parks. 

I simply have no understanding of what DC is doing on any front. How can anyone have no business plan for a company which is losing money year on year and getting progressively worst.

Yep. Sticking plasters on deep wounds. 

Great theme park metaphor. 

Where is DC?

Sadly I'm not sure we are currently in a position to attract a manager or owner we could respect and support. Who would come? Who would buy?

It really hurts to say that as, some will know, I'm a glass half full, clapper if you like.

Edited by Triple O
Typo

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

The oldest cliche in the book that gets wheeled out time and time again at times like this is 'we need to give the manager time, we can't keep changing'

So how long? And what if you're giving the wrong guy time? What if you give him 3 years and he gets relegated twice? And completely replaces your squad with players unfit to play at the level you're at?

What has nice boy Darren ever done in football anywhere to suggest that given time he can get us promoted. From any division?

Until early December imo. Have the new man lined up ready, give him 4 weeks to assess the squad during an intense period, then add or subtract players in January as he sees fit. We won’t be out of the running by early Dec, so season won’t be over for a good few months crack at the top 6. 

I would give DM more time if his argument was that the players have to buy into his system and that may take half a season. But, and it's a big but, he had enough games last season, plus a full pre season to sort that out. He is playing players out of position. He is not consistant in his team selection. He has changed his playing style at least three times, 4 at the back 3 at the back, 1 up front 2 up front. his transfer policy seems to be based on how many wingers he can have. he is stuborn on his play out from the back policy even if we haven't got the footballers to implement it. His media comments are a rambling list of excuses. He is more worried about the opposition. He has to go before Christmas.

29 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Disagree.

Milan Manderic while far from perfect stopped the rot.

Also before MM we didnt have any owners as such, owned by shareholders who were mainly local people and supporters (Although I admit that system is unlikely ever to come back)

That's a good point, and I probably shouldn't have used the phrase "stop the rot", as being a somewhat competently-run organisation is sort of the baseline I'd expect from an owner (or owners). That said, short of the promotion season I think my point about a revolving door of disappointing players and managers still stands, even during the MM era (though I admit my memory of that far back is pretty foggy!).

The oldest cliche in the book that gets wheeled out time and time again at times like this is 'we need to give the manager time, we can't keep changing'

So how long? And what if you're giving the wrong guy time? What if you give him 3 years and he gets relegated twice? And completely replaces your squad with players unfit to play at the level you're at?

What has nice boy Darren ever done in football anywhere to suggest that given time he can get us promoted. From any division?

Whilst it may be a cliche someone does need to be given time to rebuild .The big problem we have is our owner who seems adverse to any kind of planning and incapable of choosing the correct people. Also being too arrogant to recognise when things are going wrong and taking advice to address the issues just compounds the poor recruitment.

Experienced Dof  or some similar post upstairs overseeing a younger management setup for the first team and youth set ups.

Anyway I thought you didn’t care anymore.

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I can totally cope with a long term strategy if it brings great success

But what I can't have patience with are these relentless playing players out of position ideas, or the changing starting lineups, or the politicians answers to questions from the manager, or the lack of shots on target, or the dull slow method of play.

And the body language of the players just screams that something is not right and not just results but something behind the scenes

Oh...

And we need to stop waiting for the same injured players to get fit again every season, month in month out. That just needs to stop

We need a zero tolerance attitude towards injured players, unreliable players, poor managers etc

Politicians answer to questions - that's it. Exactly. We need authentic dialogue. I was glad for Dunkley in his interview. 

Re body language, now I know I'm picking here and it's a small snap shot of a bigger picture

But....watch Kamberi as he gets off the bus yesterday. Think it was IG....We've got unhappy footballers here.

Sad thing is DM and his team are probably waiting for the call from DC to pay them off. DC probably doesn’t want to make the call as he can’t be bothered going through the recruitment process once again.

This will drag on until the point at which the season is effectively over and we tread water until September. That is so long as we don’t get drawn into a relegation scrap.

5 minutes ago, TheOwlsofDodworth said:

Yep. Sticking plasters on deep wounds. 

Great theme park metaphor. 

Where is DC?

DC has generally shown himself to be patient with his team managers. But, even he admits he knows little about football and therefore, I suspect the intricacies of line up and formation are lost on him. His metrics for DM are presumably results, not unmeasurable things like 'entertainment'. 

My worry is, who has he got on the inside - in Sheffield/England advising him on football matters? The club's non-footballing staff is practically non-existent save for a marketing guy. DC has wiped this side of the club's staff from the personnel list, which I find quite odd, almost negligent.

He surely can't be in weekly communication with DM on these matters can he? That would be a comedy sketch beyond comprehension.

• Like 2

Just now, Animis said:

My worry is, who has he got on the inside - in Sheffield/England advising him on football matters? The club's non-footballing staff is practically non-existent save for a marketing guy. DC has wiped this side of the club's staff from the personnel list, which I find quite odd, almost negligent. 

He has an assistant to the chairman

Owlstalk Shop

22 minutes ago, MallorcaOwl said:

He has changed his playing style at least three times, 4 at the back 3 at the back, 1 up front 2 up front. he is stuborn on his play out from the back policy even if we haven't got the footballers to implement it. 

All if these are one issue.

3 at the back was to fit in 2 up front. It's the only way you can fit it in with the 3 in midfield.

Play from the back is because, with 2 up, we are incapable of playing direct as Gregory's too slow and weak so we can't win challenged balls, and provides no movement to make the space for others.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

to be honest I've absolutely no idea

I think the trust should start up some dialog with him. Start off with some quick wins, like pre-match food,  match-day parking, then boom, 'how long is your boss going to give DM?'