Jeff Stelling to leave Sky Sports

Jeff Stelling is to leave Sky Sports' Soccer Saturday at the end of the season after more than 25 years at the helm.

The 66-year-old, who has presented the show since 1994, made the announcement on Saturday and was met with a standing ovation by fellow pundits.

Hartlepool fan Stelling, who joined Sky in 1992, does not intend to retire.

"I have come to the incredibly difficult decision that this will be my last season," he said.

"This is my decision - there has been no pressure. Sky have been absolutely brilliant with me, as they always have been.

"I am not intending to retire but it is time to let somebody else have a go at what is the best job in the world."

He added: "I have loved every moment of my 30 years with Sky, but like every Saturday afternoon the time eventually comes to blow the final whistle.

"I am proud to have been part of such a winning team for so long and look forward to the many more special moments on Soccer Saturday for the rest of this season - and perhaps even another promotion push from Hartlepool United."

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Jeff Stelling is to leave Sky Sports' Soccer Saturday at the end of the season after more than 25 years at the helm.

The 66-year-old, who has presented the show since 1994, made the announcement on Saturday and was met with a standing ovation by fellow pundits.

Hartlepool fan Stelling, who joined Sky in 1992, does not intend to retire.

"I have come to the incredibly difficult decision that this will be my last season," he said.

"This is my decision - there has been no pressure. Sky have been absolutely brilliant with me, as they always have been.

"I am not intending to retire but it is time to let somebody else have a go at what is the best job in the world."

He added: "I have loved every moment of my 30 years with Sky, but like every Saturday afternoon the time eventually comes to blow the final whistle.

"I am proud to have been part of such a winning team for so long and look forward to the many more special moments on Soccer Saturday for the rest of this season - and perhaps even another promotion push from Hartlepool United."

Unbelievable 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, darra said:

It's the knowledge he has about clubs no matter what league they're in that makes his presenting a cut above the others.

I also think the fact that he's from the North East and is a huge fan of a lower league club that helps him connect with many of the viewers. 

Jeff absolutely 'gets it' - he knows what it's like being a fan

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Owls2k said:

I also think the fact that he's from the North East and is a huge fan of a lower league club that helps him connect with many of the viewers. 

Jeff absolutely 'gets it' - he knows what it's like being a fan

He shows emotions when there's a goal in Hartlepools games. Most fans who watch the show can relate to this. Also his knowledge of all the leagues including Scottish lower leagues is impressive. 

As somone who used to love Soccer Saturday and would always watch if not at a game, I'm just wondering if there is still a need for it when Jeff goes?

For years it was the place for goal updates filling the void when all you had before was Radio 5 updates (most likely several mins behind) and the Videprinter at full time.

Nowadays people use apps like Flashscores for updates or if you want it on the button betting apps are even quicker.