CHELTENHAM V WEDNESDAY - OMDT

48 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Nah, let's just carry on as we are, it's working great so far this season. Players throwing away slender leads and looking like they haven't got a clue what to do. 

Stop worrying about other teams and let them worry about us. 

I agree that we shouldn't worry about the opposition so much, but just to say we need to stop throwing away slender leads is easy to say, what's the answer?      You are just coming out with platitudes.  

We are just outside the top six, where would you have expected us to be on the first day of the seasons at this stage? 

Of course Moore needs to question his methods but I would hazard a guess that there is club in this league who has had played a similar team most weeks and is no where near the top of the league, so nothing is guaranteed.

I'm not sure if Moore is the answer long term but he has assembled a very decent squad and with some decent additions in the January window we could push on with some confidence.  I know it will pain you for me to say that we still need time for the team to gel and for a team to evolve out of the squad. 

To repeatably sack and employ managers and expect instant results is one of the main reasons why we are in the third division. 

I know the above seems to single you out but I'm honestly trying to put this in more general terms, I'm just not a good enough a wordsmith to do that.  

• Haha 1

It's just depressing, you get up in the morning to watch the game then you look at the opposition , Cheltenham, no disrespect but you look at that fixture and this should be an early fa cup game where we field our 2nd string of players who hasn't had game time. Depressing times indeed.

Then you watch the game and it's a whole new level.

Edited by agentwalker
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I agree that we shouldn't worry about the opposition so much, but just to say we need to stop throwing away slender leads is easy to say, what's the answer?      You are just coming out with platitudes.  

We are just outside the top six, where would you have expected us to be on the first day of the seasons at this stage? 

Of course Moore needs to question his methods but I would hazard a guess that there is club in this league who has had played a similar team most weeks and is no where near the top of the league, so nothing is guaranteed.

I'm not sure if Moore is the answer long term but he has assembled a very decent squad and with some decent additions in the January window we could push on with some confidence.  I know it will pain you for me to say that we still need time for the team to gel and for a team to evolve out of the squad. 

To repeatably sack and employ managers and expect instant results is one of the main reasons why we are in the third division. 

I know the above seems to single you out but I'm honestly trying to put this in more general terms, I'm just not a good enough a wordsmith to do that.  

Nah no problem with your reply. You're right, I am probably just typing platitudes, but what I said holds water. We are struggling to beat teams. We are looking fragile and players don't look comfortable at times. If we play players in positions where they feel comfortable and effective then surely that translates into the performance. At the moment it seems to me that the players have no confidence and I'm looking for reasons why. One reason could be the formation and tactics. My formation and tactics, basic as they are, are just that. Basic. Teams beat us by doing the basics. Work hard, find space, run off the ball to make it tough for us. We don't do that. We worry about what teams will do, set up accordingly and fulfill our own prophecies. 

I don't want Moore to go. Quite the opposite in fact. I want him to stay and build a dynasty that me and my kids can look back on as the start. I want him to succeed the same way as I want DC to succeed. But in my eyes they both have to change their styles and improve for that to happen. And without the basics its built on sand. 

• Thanks 1

Most fan have no confidence in the manager or the tactics .We should be looking forward to every game, but it's all a struggle and negative. The manager talk's in wriggles most of the time. I bet the team talk's are interesting. We can only hope something click's and it all wok's out, but don't hold your breath. uto 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I know a couple of Cheltenham fans. To be fair they support Cheltenham as their local team and watch them most home games but actually support Arsenal, who they never go and see. So maybe there view isn’t typical of all Cheltenham fans. 

I asked them if they are especially up for this game as it’s the mighty Sheffield Wednesday. They just laughed and explained that no one gives a shît about Sheffield Wednesday. I asked why every team raises their game against us then. They just speculated that maybe we are just crap and using that as an excuse. 

I told them our managers said today was a game against tough opponents. They just laughed again and said our manager is daft if he thinks that and our team should be turning up with a view to smashing Cheltenham off the park. 

They are both very much looking forward to today. I am not looking forward to today. 
FFS. 

They know their coming up against the massive today. A quote from their forum -

I guess it depends how young. For me, in mid-late 30s, Wigan, Bradford, Portsmouth are second tier or lower league sides who caused an upset by getting into the Prem for a few seasons and the couple of cup wins were a shock. I still remember Bradford staying up on the last day against Liverpool and it feels like if Cheltenham got to the Championship and stayed up. Those teams being in L1 etc feels like they are back at their level…though obviously much older people who remember when Bradford and Portsmouth were regular top flight sides will feel differently.

Conversely, Wednesday to me feel like a massive club on a temporary blip who will return back up to their level.

It’s not based on data or success, just emotion. I grew up with Hillsborough always being on TV and Wednesday as one of the biggest most famous clubs. The 1993 season obviously helped and is probably why there were several Wednesday fans in my year at school. They were one the handful of teams we used to pretend to be in the school yard.

16 minutes ago, KcebSWFC11 said:

Never start seasons well. Today is the turning point where everything clicks into place finally. Convincing win today & into the playoffs. & won’t leave the top 6 again the rest of the season. Let the good times roll

I hope so, but if 'everything clicks into place' we just know it will be all change for the next game, and again for the next game...and so on. 

Nothing is being built, it's just sporadic performances hoping for points. But, let's hope for 3 points today, that's all we can hope for.