George Boyd

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Could he do a job at left back?

I’m pretty sure we did play him at the back (maybe wingback). It must have been in the TV because I remember Mark Lawrenson expressing his surprise at us playing an attacking midfielder in defence.
The more things change the more things stay the same…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Shocking first season under Carlos. But wasn’t everyone? Picked up an injury kept him out for a while - not his fault. 

Second season. Frozen out by Jos with Westwood and Hutch. Brought back in by Bullen/Bruce and I actually didn’t do a bad job playing left wing back if I remember rightly. 

Poor signing in hindsight, but don’t think much can be attributed at him. Poorly managed for the most part.

Wednesday have had loads of player like Boyd who would probably be decent players for us 4-5 years before they came to Hillsborough.

As for him driving a Bentley that's up to him, as far as I know he has not made his money illegally and can spend it how he wants.

But can see why people feel things that this show how football even outside the Premier League has moved too much away from ordinary supporters.

7 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Wednesday have had loads of player like Boyd who would probably be decent players for us 4-5 years before they came to Hillsborough.

As for him driving a Bentley that's up to him, as far as I know he has not made his money illegally and can spend it how he wants.

But can see why people feel things that this show how football even outside the Premier League has moved too much away from ordinary supporters.

Players have been driving nice cars for about 30 years now.

lol

A bit like Jones and Abdi.

All 3 had played regular in the premier league but none of them worked out and are a big reason we are where we are now. 

I thought Boyd would become a fans favourite. He always looked good for Burnley and there fans liked him.

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313

Good player in his day, average for us but not as bad as some make out. If he’d come on a free on sensible wages and played like he did then he would have been a solid addition as a squad player.

But it’s the wages that made him a poor signing.. did absolutely nothing to support being paid a reported £37k a week.

8 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Good player in his day, average for us but not as bad as some make out. If he’d come on a free on sensible wages and played like he did then he would have been a solid addition as a squad player.

But it’s the wages that made him a poor signing.. did absolutely nothing to support being paid a reported £37k a week.

Thought he was a good signing at the time. Age was a concern but if Burnley, Hull fans were to be believed he was the fittest player in the division.

And then he got an injury at the start of the season. And then the vast majority of the squad were out injured for most of the season.

I’d love to know what our pre season training was like in the summer of 2017. That season was absolutely crazy for injuries, can’t just have been bad luck. 

19 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Players have been driving nice cars for about 30 years now.

lol

I can remember the days of Nigel Worthington and Gary Megson driving round Sheffield in sponsored car with name plastered on the side from TC Harrison.

Think 30 years ago was only top professionals had a decent car.

Now even League One / Division 3 players have a top of the range sports car.

I know people will say I am bit jealous and I don't deny it but you can see why when team is struggling supporters feel less like we are all in this together these days.