First footballer to admit sexuallity

24 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

I'll repeat, if an unknown player from the Australian league makes news headlines for being the first Professional footballer to come out as gay you can be pretty sure no one in the English league has come out publicly.

There would be paparazzi cover of anyone being out and about in public with a male partner. Because it would be massive news.

Even now, if it were the case, there'd be someone saying, hold on, he's not the first, there's so and so.

This is like trying to deny the moon landings

There just are no OUT professional footballers, other than Josh. and by OUT I mean able to feel free to do all the things heterosexual couples do.

I don’t know why you’re so quick to say they are not out. There are loads of gay sports people, I don’t remember it ever being broken by the media in the papers that they are gay they’ve always announced it publicly themselves if they have wanted to.

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don’t know why you’re so quick to say they are not out. There are loads of gay sports people, I don’t remember it ever being broken by the media in the papers that they are gay they’ve always announced it publicly themselves if they have wanted to.

We're talking about footballers

8 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I think football players are probably reluctant to because there are still plenty of morons who would target them for inappropriate chants etc during games. It’s different with more family orientated sports 

5 minutes ago, Django said:

I think football players are probably reluctant to because there are still plenty of morons who would target them for inappropriate chants etc during games. It’s different with more family orientated sports 

Well that may be one reason, another may be that they don't want to be all over the media like this guy because they would find it uncomfortable to be in the public eye etc. Doesn't mean there are loads of repressed homosexuals in football. The could easily be openly gay without it being public knowledge.

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Well that may be one reason, another may be that they don't want to be all over the media like this guy because they would find it uncomfortable to be in the public eye etc. Doesn't mean there are loads of repressed homosexuals in football. The could easily be openly gay without it being public knowledge.

I read a while back that 7% of the male population is gay therefore there will be lots of gay footballers. It’s a shame that more haven’t come out publicly as it’ll help many young people who are struggling to come out, but in the end it’s their business I suppose 

9 minutes ago, Django said:

I read a while back that 7% of the male population is gay therefore there will be lots of gay footballers. It’s a shame that more haven’t come out publicly as it’ll help many young people who are struggling to come out, but in the end it’s their business I suppose 

Why would it help them come out? I think making a huge song and dance when somebody comes out makes it harder-makes it different, makes them feel like they have to 'announce' it which much be nerve wracking. Just look at the thread title "first footballer to admit sexuality" which implies something is wrong. In an equal society which is what we want to achieve then being gay is no different to being straight and we don't 'admit' we are straight. 

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Why would it help them come out? I think making a huge song and dance when somebody comes out makes it harder-makes it different, makes them feel like they have to 'announce' it which much be nerve wracking. Just look at the thread title "first footballer to admit sexuality" which implies something is wrong. In an equal society which is what we want to achieve then being gay is no different to being straight and we don't 'admit' we are straight. 

Lots of young people struggle with coming out for loads of reasons. Seeing their hero’s doing the same will surely help 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Django said:

Lots of young people struggle with coming out for loads of reasons. Seeing their hero’s doing the same will surely help 

I think the media portraying it as though there are loads of gay footballers who dare not come out makes it more difficult to come out. 

There are loads of gay sports stars, there have been gay footballers, there are loads of gay role models. When does it end? 

This sort of thing is like a false positive for me.

The fact that a completely irrelevant footballer coming out has made news here is pathetic.

The media is still making it a huge deal to come out. It's not good

I’m sure the homosexual community will welcome the news that site contrarian and openly heterosexual Ellis Rimmer thinks it’s pathetic that they have public representation in a sport that has been notorious for homophobic behaviour by its supporters.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, McRightSide said:

People never got oppressed for being heterosexual

Exactly 

Its easy for heterosexuals to say it’s no big deal but to a young teenager it’s a massive deal, especially if you’ve got parents who are old fashioned and won’t approve. In some cases years ago it was the kind of bombshell that could get you disowned

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Django said:

Exactly 

Its easy for heterosexuals to say it’s no big deal but to a young teenager it’s a massive deal, especially if you’ve got parents who are old fashioned and won’t approve. In some cases years ago it was the kind of bombshell that could get you disowned

Totally 

But even more than disowned…it can get you killed, even today

• Like 1

Colin Kaepernick, now known as an activist, rather than professional NFL player, after taking a stand against racism, was never offered another contract.

Let's not pretend clubs would be queuing up to buy players who come out as homosexual, yes they would show their support, but most likely clubs in many countries would have a core of fans abusing the players for it.

We all know it shouldn't make a difference and should just be accepted, but that's not really the case at all and football is still years away from where it should be in terms of accepting that some players will be homosexual.