First footballer to admit sexuallity

8 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

How do you know he is the only one to be ‘out’

Well I don't. 

There maybe those who are out to their family and friends but have kept it from the press.

You can be pretty sure that the press would have published the story if any player was out and they knew about it. It is big news.

If there wasn't a problem you would know the sexuality of players even when it is not our business. You have to compare it to celebrities in other fields.

Where it is commonplace for sexuality to be known it may be easier for some individuals to keep it private if it were 'no big thing'

Sadly, within football, it is still a big thing.

Edited by OxonOwl

1 minute ago, OxonOwl said:

Well I don't. 

There maybe those who are out to their family and friends but have kept it from the press.

You can be pretty sure that the press would have published the story if any player was out and they knew about it. It is big news.

If there wasn't a problem you would know the sexuality of players even when it is not our business. You have to compare it to celebrities in other fields.

Where it is commonplace for sexuality to be known it may be easier for some individuals to keep it private if it were 'no big thing'

Why would we know the sexuality of the players? It’s not something that gets announced is it? How do you know the Wednesday team are all heterosexual? You don’t, you are assuming.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Why would we know the sexuality of the players? It’s not something that gets announced is it? How do you know the Wednesday team are all heterosexual? You don’t, you are assuming.

I never said I knew anything about knowing the sexuality of any footballer let alone the Wednesday team.

Let me tell you what I am assuming

1. Of all the footballers in the football and premier league there is likely to be a majority of heterosexuals and a significant minority of non-heterosexuals.

2. If the coming out of a virtually unknown player from the Aus league makes news here I would assume that if any player in the English football league had ever publicly come out then I would assume that we would all have known about it.

3. From the above, I assume there are plenty of footballers in the English league who are gay and have not publicly come out.

We don't need to know people's sexuality but it shouldn't be something that should be hidden.

It should be ok for a male footballer to be able to say something like "I am pleased that my boyfriend/husband could be at the game to see my goal".

That isn't announcing it.

That is how we might know the (probable) sexuality of people.

Once it becomes unremarkable to know the sexuality of a player, they can be as open or private as they want to be.

Edited by OxonOwl
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

Well I don't. 

There are far too many Jim Davidson, Bernard Manning type people on the planet unfortunately, its those people who need to be educated

3 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

If so, why is he the only professional footballer to be out?

Maybe because it's nobody else's business?

I don't get why everything has to be some massive event?

Sly sports new will love this.

9 minutes ago, helmut_rooster said:

Maybe because it's nobody else's business?

I don't get why everything has to be some massive event?

Sly sports new will love this.

It isn't really anybody's business but neither are footballer's wives.

They are public figures so people are interested but those who are gay obviously feel they cannot be open about who they are.

They obviously feel they can't mention their partners in conversation or bee seen in public with them.

The reason is the first one or two to do so will come under massive scrutiny of the press.

There maybe be other reasons the do not want people to know. Possibly institutional homophobia, perhaps.

It is not about making an announcement or people having to know. It is about them feeling they are able to be open about who they are

• Like 2