Top three games against Sheffield United?

I've only seen three. BDM, the 1-1 at the Lane that season and the semi-final.

BDM; middle of the Kop, low expectations at the off, but ended beyond my wildest dreams. Nothing's been better.

1-1 at the Lane; off to the side of their Kop, uncomfortable day but TC's goal was just brilliant.

Semi-Final; Waddle's goal was at the other end and I barely saw it. Nail biter of a game, but the win felt inevitable and

we were right there front and centre of English football. Perhaps where we peaked - and we were as good as anyone.

1, Boxing Day 1979 4-0 says it all. 

2, Wembley 93, it should have been 10-1.

3, The 2-0 win when Brian Laws ran down touchline waving a Wednesday scarf. 

Lots of other great memories, the double season wins, the Chris O'Grady they could afford to lose game,  the 3-1 win when Andy Andy Pearce scored. 

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Obviously the Wembley stands out.

But also think the one at Bramall Lane as was first time we have won there in my lifetime.

You would need to be getting on a bit to recall any other win at Bramall Lane, only other wins I recall are friendlies and County Cup wins.

The Steel City Cup win in 90s sticks out most, think we was 1-0 down at half time and we came back to win 3-1. 

3 minutes ago, bradowl said:

You would need to be getting on a bit to recall any other win at Bramall Lane, only other wins I recall are friendlies and County Cup wins.

The Steel City Cup win in 90s sticks out most, think we was 1-0 down at half time and we came back to win 3-1. 

The last win at Bramall Lane before 2009 was 2nd September 1967 when we won 1-0 (Cant find out who scored though).
I can remember a few Friendly and Testimonial wins at Bramall Lane. I remember us winning 1-0 in Derek Dooley testimonial when Chris Woods went up front must have been in early 90s.

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

The last win at Bramall Lane before 2009 was 2nd September 1967 when we won 1-0 (Cant find out who scored though).
I can remember a few Friendly and Testimonial wins at Bramall Lane. I remember us winning 1-0 in Derek Dooley testimonial when Chris Woods went up front must have been in early 90s.

Sat 2 Sep Sheffield United........ 1-0  36,258 John Ritchie

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Just done a bit of research and found  out it was John Ritchie with the winner in 1967, says in the 90th minute which sounds like they was a bit of crying into they beer on London Road that night.

Just now, matthefish2002 said:

Just done a bit of research and found  out it was John Ritchie with the winner in 1967, says in the 90th minute which sounds like they was a bit of crying into they beer on London Road that night.

That win put us top of Division One. 

We didn't stay there long though, we only just stopped up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I've been to the sty loads of times since the 0-2 loss in 1991 which was my first visit,  but the only win I've seen there was that Derek Dooley game, Hirst scored the winner I think. I have no memory of Woods playing up front though!

One of the few games there I actually missed was, typically, the Tudgay game. But that was because I chose to watch it on the screen at Hillsborough rather than give them my money. 

7 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

It wasnt anything like the last minute. I would have remembered that.  It was a 2nd half towering header at the Shoreham end.  United had 3' high iron railings round the pitch at the time and i remember Ritchie landing on them after one header(dont think it was the scoring header) and needing treatment.  Could have been very nasty.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lincs Owl said:

It wasnt anything like the last minute. I would have remembered that.  It was a 2nd half towering header at the Shoreham end.  United had 3' high iron railings round the pitch at the time and i remember Ritchie landing on them after one header(dont think it was the scoring header) and needing treatment.  Could have been very nasty.  

yeah i remember it around the 75th minute and it went in off the crossbar .......cant recall the railings incident but can the blunts singing a song about ritchie having a iron lung which i never quite understood .

BDM, one of the very best days of my life as a 14 yr old, everything about it just perfect

Wembley semi final, what a day out, never felt more nervous or excited about a game pre kick off, though 8 pints or so helped.

1-1 at the Sty, Hirst equaliser after a class ball by Waddle. Watched it with my dear old Mum after rushing up from Coventry having played in the morning, asked to come off at about 60 minutes so that I could get there on time.