Top three games against Sheffield United?

Boxing Day Massacre

Semi-final ("It should-a been ten-one")

CO'G at Hillsborough

... I'd put the BDM ahead of the semi-final because, apart from the day itself, it was the start of a purple patch for the Owls for next few seasons. The first hint of a change of fortunes compared to the previous ten years.

1.  Wembley has to be the pinnacle in terms of complete performances. So tense in ET as I had the feeling they were going to steal the game.
  2. BDM  was the tops for rubbing noses in the dirt, literally as TC slid in to plant his diving header.
  3. joint 3rd place. At the Lane David Layne put away a cannon of a free kick (60's) to sink the Blades 3-2. Hodgkinson complaining the sun was in his eyes. He did have his cap on though. Also 63 my birthday game (post Big Freeze) May 15th, trailed 1-0 at half time. 2 from Layne and 1 from Tommy Mac took us home by 3-1 with Blades down to 10 men with a Shaw broken leg with 41k+ plus watching on.     
  • Like 1

Just now, nevthelodgemoorowl said:
  1.  Wembley has to be the pinnacle in terms of complete performances. So tense in ET as I had the feeling they were going to steal the game.
  2. BDM  was the tops for rubbing noses in the dirt, literally as TC slid in to plant his diving header.
  3. joint 3rd place. At the Lane David Layne put away a cannon of a free kick (60's) to sink the Blades 3-2. Hodgkinson complaining the sun was in his eyes. He did have his cap on though. Also 63 my birthday game (post Big Freeze) May 15th, trailed 1-0 at half time. 2 from Layne and 1 from Tommy Mac took us home by 3-1 with Blades down to 10 men with a Shaw broken leg with 41k+ plus watching on.     

Regarding point 3.   Not quite correct.  Joe Shaw actually didn't actually break his leg but following the tackle with Bronco Lane, but his knee cap was exposed and he was stretchered off.

1) Wembley. Obviously.

2)  3-2 in the ZDS, 1989. Pointless competition, but it was a special game as it as my first Sheffield Derby (I started going the season after the BDM so sadly I missed that), and with it being almost 10 years since the last derby it was an electric atmosphere with 30k+ there and a cracking game as well, with that fantastic Sheridan goal topping it off.

3)  2-2 at their place, 2011. Bit odd to include a draw maybe, but when Madine equalised late on after we'd been 2 down it was absolute carnage celebrating in the away end, limbs everywhere, ended up about 5 rows in front of where I was before. I've been in that end before the seats went in (that Hirst goal being a highlight) and it was never like that even then. If Rob Jones had netted that header at the end and won it, I don't think I'd have survived.  

• Like 3

1-0 win in October 2008, Steve Watson's gentle lob over Kenny.

2-1 win in February 2009, completing the double and Tudgay scoring a wondergoal (wonder if that guy who stands up to give it the big one has ever lived it down)

1-0 win in February 2012, has to be really doesn't it? Major moment in that season which ended in glory for us and despair for them, will we ever see a season like that again? Where it goes down to the wire between the two clubs, probably not.